"But it's not FACEBOOK official" o.O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"But it's not FACEBOOK official" o.O

So many of my friends have commented on the fact that I've not listed my relationship on facebook, and therefore it's not official. WTF? Since when did facebook become the standard for a relationship existing or not?
    One even went as far to say "why are you so ashamed of your relationship, don't you want to share that love with your friends?" No, I'm not ashamed, I just don't want the world to know my business, and what if you break up? Then you have the drama and "I told you so's" from everyone who thinks an LDR is a waste of time - many people have made it clear to me that long distance doesn't work, that it's not a "real relationship" and how I'm an idiot acting like a teenager with an internet romance. HOW RUDE!

Anyone wanna share this with me? I'm so angry about this right now!

My SO and I waited a few months before we put anything about us on facebook, but when we did there was a lot of comments like "Oh, facebook official... it's legitimate now!" It seemed that our relationship wasn't valid until the world of facebook could acknowledge it. Personally, I think facebook is responsible for creating way too much drama. If you're not interested in putting it on facebook, simply don't. The important people in your life will clearly be aware of the relationship, whether it's on facebook or not.

Comment

Don't even get me started on this subject!!! Facebook has taken over the real world it seems. Who gives a rats ass if it's not written on the internet for all to see, it doesn't make it any less real. If people are telling you that then Mr zuckerbug or whoever has succeeded in taking over the world.

Comment

My SO and I have been together over a year now, and we don't have any plans to post a relationship status. We know we love each other and are together, but I don't like when people post that they're in a relationship and loooads of people comment. And I don't feel the need to create drama if we do ever break up!
        I'd say the majority of people I know who have their relationship posted on facebook are the people who feel the need to shove it everyone's faces all the time. Like constantly posting lovey dovey things everywhere and all that haha. I'd rather that just be personal!!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Wow, so being "Facebook official" is a requirement now? I like seeing my relationship status there, but I don't really care what other people do. I know it may seem hard, but simply try to ignore their comments.

Comment

I totally get you! While my LDR is on facebook, my last relationship wasn't on facebook. I didn't really care, but everyone else did! Even his PARENTS got mad at me for not putting it on facebook. Why should they care? It wasn't their relationship.
            I feel like it shouldn't be a big deal either way. Facebook official or not, it's a relationship.

You're not the only that feels this way! Just don't let them bug you. Facebook is by no means everything in the world.
            Every long lost dream led me to where you are
            Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
            Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
            This much I know is true...
            That God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you

|First Met: 02/28/14|Exchanged Numbers: 03/07/14|First Date: 03/14/14|First Kiss: 03/21/14 |Became a couple: 04/05/14|

Comment

I learned a long time ago that people are going to think and say whatever they want to. It's best just to roll your eyes and ignore these types of people. I don't talk about my relationship much [because I feel it's no one's business] but I do have in a relationship with *** on my facebook. The only reason I have it on there though is because my facebook is private and I only have my friends&family on there. I don't care about them knowing and in fact I want them to know as much about him as possible so when I *eventually* move to close the distance it isn't like oh, who is this random guy she moved to be with. :P Don't think we became 'facebook official' though until after we had been together a year but that's because I didn't have a facebook.

Comment

I get hit on by old friends on Facebook a lot, so I wanted to change my status to in a relationship to help stop that. After we met and made our relationship official I asked permission to change my Facebook status to in a relationship. He doesn't have it, and it doesn't matter to him, but I was desperate to get all the flirting comments to stop and as soon as I changed it, they did!

Not many people I think know my relationship is a long distance one on my Facebook page, even though I do post about seeing him soon and what not.

Facebook isn't the real world, so I wouldn't worry about it. Who cares what your Facebook says if he doesn't and neither do you?

Comment

Facebook Official is so stupid. snow_girl is right, FB has taken over the world, and it causes such drama. Some people actually like their privacy, and don't feel the need to announce their shit everywhere. Just look at them like they're nuts and say something like "Yeah, cause FB's the REAL world" while rolling your eyes. That should get the point across!
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

What about the people who (OMG!) don't use Facebook? Are their relationships not official? People are crazy...Facebook =/= the real world. The only thing that matters is if you and your SO consider your relationship official.

Comment

For the longest time we didnt...I would get hit on..he would get hit on...then one day I had a relationship request from him..and the rest is history
                      " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
                      Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

me and my BF got together in september 2010 and we didnt put it on facebook til march

Comment

Ok, so here's my point of view on this (yep against most others). I want to see me SO change his status...why.... because so many other people flirt with him, and I WANT all our friends and family to know that we are together.... it makes me happy. His friends don't know me and only 1 of my friends knows him, so to me him changing his status is like telling the world he cares about me..... stupid... yes i know, but it's just the little thing that makes a difference to me....

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToMyHeart View Post
                            Ok, so here's my point of view on this (yep against most others). I want to see me SO change his status...why.... because so many other people flirt with him, and I WANT all our friends and family to know that we are together.... it makes me happy. His friends don't know me and only 1 of my friends knows him, so to me him changing his status is like telling the world he cares about me..... stupid... yes i know, but it's just the little thing that makes a difference to me....
                            It meant a lot to me when I did change my relationship status. I'm proud of being with him and I wanted people to know I'm committed to him.
                            But I don't think your status update dictates whether or not your relationship is real.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra View Post
                              It meant a lot to me when I did change my relationship status. I'm proud of being with him and I wanted people to know I'm committed to him.
                              But I don't think your status update dictates whether or not your relationship is real.

Ditto! It really depends on the individuals and how they view FB. Some people view it as an extension of their lives and as such it is important to them. For others it's simply a social networking site where they hang out when they're bored so it's no big deal. To each his own
                              Met Online : July 2013
                              Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                              2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                              3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                              Proposal : December 2014
                              Closed distance : February 2015
                              Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X