Religion and dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moon View Post
    I don't mean to offend, but Catholicism teaches and believes in evolution, at least in the US, also evolution is not a religion, it's a scientific theory. I went to Catholic school, and my nephew goes there now, so I know that's what they (still) teach in science class. Catholics have never had an issue with combining science and religion, believing that is how god created it, and that a "God day" isn't the same 24 hour day humankind uses, hence not contradicting Genesis. I might be an atheist now, but imo, Catholics seem to do the best job at explaining how everything can peacefully coexist and fit together, molesting bastard priests non-withstanding.

Edited to add that I know there are people who won't like my priest comment, but one of the biggest offender was my parish priest when I was there, molested people I know, and actually taught our Marriage and Ethics class in 7th grade. He was transferred all around the Philly area, and continually repeated hurting children, so I'm not sorry for saying it, my opinions are strong here.
    Agreed, completely. I was raised Catholic, and I've never met a Catholic who didn't believe in evolution. And I've met a lot of Catholics, haha. The papacy accepted it, and that was always enough for the Catholic school system that I was raised in! And being the same - now an atheist as well - I have still respected how the Catholic church can be good at explaining how evolution and religion aren't mutually exclusive.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I'm not sure. I'd always imagined that a difference in religious views would be a deal breaker for me until I met my SO - I don't know if it'd be possible for me to overlook the matter with anyone else though. I have my beliefs and he has his; it's not something we discuss often but we're both aware that in future compromises will most likely have to be made on both sides. While I still believe this is an important consideration, my SO and I seem to suit each other perfectly in so many other ways that somehow neither of us are willing or able to let go of the other because of it.

Comment

I dont think religous beliefs have to match but there definetly needs to be an understanding. Im buddhist and my SO was raised Presbyterian. We both dont have strong religous beliefs but we do beileve theres a higher power. We've talked about the issue with children and we belive it is important for them to choose their own religion, if any. He may in the future go back to church and i've already told him that i wouldnt be going (although im beginning to slightly warm up to the idea, i think i need to educate myself in the religion before i can say anything). If the kids want to go i wont be the one who stops them - his parents are very religious so i can see in the future they'll wanna take them and if they wanna go thats cool.

I couldnt be with someone who wanted to change my beliefs. I've lost friends due to our religous differences, but never boyfriends since they have all been atheists. Current SO is the only one who was actually brought up religously.

Comment

I never defined myself really. I was raised Catholic, and I participate in a lot of Catholic practices, because they're part of my heritage and it means a lot to my family. But the idea of God doesn't make sense to me. But then, that's never been an obstacle for me I guess I'm an agnostic going towards atheist, but drawing a clear line seems unnecessarily limiting.

He is too. He's never been raised in any religion and doesn't explicitly believe in a higher power, but he's not anti-religious and keeps an open mind.

I have friends of different religious beliefs which I respect, but I doubt I personally could build a life with a partner whose beliefs differed that much from mine. In this case, someone devoutly religious of any faith, or spiritual. I'd sooner get along with a hardcore atheist, although this too wouldn't be ideal, than someone decidedly religious.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I'm not too sure about this, but the way that I read the question is - do you think that you should both have the same beliefs or believe something similar. No, I don't at all. I am a strong Athiest, and my boy is a Catholic. I don't mind talking about it with him at all. If you love someone then why should religion matter? He knows how I feel about religion, but that doesn't mean that I don't mind talking about it with him. We've had conversations about what he believes quite a few times.

Comment

Yes. My religion/beliefs is very important to me. I would want my SO to have similar beliefs. (He does, btw )

Comment

Hey, I saw this post and I got instantly curious.
                How are you practicing Protestant and Wicca at the same time? Isn't there a Bible verse about that?
                I'm just curious, I'm not like trying to attack you or anything. This kind of stuff is fascinating to me.
                And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Comment

I can't ever see myself in a relationship with a religious person. I've been an atheist for about 7 years now, and I spend so much time around other non-believers, that when I'm faced with a religious person again, it's a little shocking. I'm careful with my words, but I've honestly forgotten that some people take offense to religious jokes. I don't want to deal with that in a relationship at all. I'm so glad my SO is a loud and angry atheist

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Depends on how you handle it. So long as you are supportive of each other's practices and beliefs, and/or don't mind each other openly sharing their thoughts on how they feel (albeit you do so considerately, and don't be rude about it), I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It's almost refreshing, for me at least. My significant other does not believe, but I am a Christian. We have never fought about the idea once, and I don't force my ideas down his throat and he doesn't mine. I see it the same as handling any other difference between you and your significant other; don't change, just compromise.

Comment

I'm not sure what I believe to be honest, I've researched a lot of different religions / faiths but none I could fully "commit" to. My SO is Catholic but non-practising. My belief is if you are a good person with a good heart then good things will happen

"A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they got planes and trains and cars, I'd walk to you if I had no other way"

First visit 23/08/2012 - 05/09/2012
                      Second visit scheduled May 2013
                      Ended relationship August 2013

Comment

I'm actually trying to figure out if it's important right now. I've been struggling with it a lot lately. I am a practicing Catholic and my faith is everything to me! My boyfriend was raised as a Christian too, but his family doesn't go to church much anymore. His parents go sometimes, but they never go as a family and they do not identify with any particular denomination. He has never been Catholic and doesn't understand why I won't ever give that up. It was a HUGE part of my upbringing and I strongly believe that's why I'm close with my whole family including aunt, uncles, grandparents, and cousins. I don't push Catholicism on my SO because if he ever converted, I want it to be for himself and not because that's what I want. It's hard for me, but I know that we'll figure it out. We've been through a lot, so we'll get through this too

Comment

Working...
                        X