Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spending a long time together, then being apart...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spending a long time together, then being apart...

Hi! I haven't posted in a long time. I've been busy preparing and planning for the trip with my SO that just ended! She was here for 16 days! That was completely amazing, however, saying goodbye, was not. It seems that every time we say goodbye, it gets harder and harder. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for comfort to her, because she's taking it really hard and I would love to see her smile again.

My SO and I usually try to find the time to Skype with each other after a visit. The first thing we do is cry, but after a while it's just so good to see her again. Or how about sending her a love letter? A care package?

Comment

Originally posted by NaNi View Post
      My SO and I usually try to find the time to Skype with each other after a visit. The first thing we do is cry, but after a while it's just so good to see her again. Or how about sending her a love letter? A care package?
      She has to work and she hasn't seen her friends, so we won't be able to Skype until tomorrow. I'm thinking about sending her a package. She took home one of my shirts, a pair of my shorts and a bottle of my perfume to make them smell like me, so I'm not all that sure what to send her.

Comment

I'm in your SO's position, lol. My SO was here visiting until Sunday, and this time has definitely been the hardest... we're both still feeling miserable and we've barely been able to talk. And I know he's very worried about how sad I am... bleh!
        But yeah, my SO and I have found that skyping as soon after getting home as we can is helpful. Like NaNi said, we just cry at first, but it's so important to be able to see each other, and hear each other... Damn, I'm getting all teary just thinking about it. Try to find as much time as possible to talk, if you can't skype. Loic and I have been texting more than usual just to keep contact when we're both at work, since we've only had about half an hour each night to im. It helps, but the only thing that will really make her feel a lot better is time.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by screammaayday View Post
          She has to work and she hasn't seen her friends, so we won't be able to Skype until tomorrow. I'm thinking about sending her a package. She took home one of my shirts, a pair of my shorts and a bottle of my perfume to make them smell like me, so I'm not all that sure what to send her.
          How about a soft toy with your perfume sprayed on it? A photo album filled with the pictures you took together? A framed photo? Cookies? I'm sure that anything will make her smile.

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post
            I'm in your SO's position, lol. My SO was here visiting until Sunday, and this time has definitely been the hardest... we're both still feeling miserable and we've barely been able to talk. And I know he's very worried about how sad I am... bleh!
            But yeah, my SO and I have found that skyping as soon after getting home as we can is helpful. Like NaNi said, we just cry at first, but it's so important to be able to see each other, and hear each other... Damn, I'm getting all teary just thinking about it. Try to find as much time as possible to talk, if you can't skype. Loic and I have been texting more than usual just to keep contact when we're both at work, since we've only had about half an hour each night to im. It helps, but the only thing that will really make her feel a lot better is time.
            Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. It's set in for me pretty hard now. I look for her next to me when I'm out and about and sometimes swear I can feel her touch, even though I know I can't. I wish you guys the best. <3

Comment

Originally posted by kteire View Post
              Oopsies, double post!
              Last edited by screammaayday; July 23, 2011, 02:01 AM. Reason: Double post :3

Comment

How about a soft toy with your perfume sprayed on it? A photo album filled with the pictures you took together? A framed photo? Cookies? I'm sure that anything will make her smile.
                I reaaally like your photo album idea. I'm going to do that tomorrow!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by screammaayday View Post
                    I'm glad you liked the idea! My SO and I did the same thing for each other.

Comment

I don't think it's nessecary to give her stuff like toys with perfume, cookies, photo album, framed photo, love letter or a care package. She is feeling down at the moment, so she needs comfort. Sending all those stuff takes weeks, so I suggest that you can talk to her on Skype or chat with her to make her feel better. She won't feel very lonely when you are chatting with her though. Also try to tell her that there WILL be a next time. Either you or she will be able to see each other again.
                      Last year I stayed with my fiance for 3 months (after I quit my job). I was very sad and couldn't smile but I kept reminding myself that it's not the last time I will see him. We will see each other again, and we will end the distance.

I hope she can smile again

Comment

i was just in your so's position. my so is in the army and was on leave for 30 days. i have learned that saying goodbye never gets easier. we have skype dates alot and every night is devoted to eachother. that way we still have our time. my so was so desperate to do something to make me feel better and i give him alot of credit, he did alot but nothing helped. it was just a feeling that needed time to make it go away. it took me about two weeks to feel better, it may be different for her. i dont really have any advice besides just spend as much time together (talking, skype) as you can. sorry, i dont have anything else but good luck with everything.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys! She's been doing better with it, as we've been able to talk and Skype now. Being on Skype helped the most, but it also helped her to talk about the things we did while she was here.

Comment

I just think it's important to be there whenever she needs you. Sometimes my SO would be so busy getting back to his life, we would have a lapse in conversation for a few days, and that was the last thing that I needed since I missed him so much. It sounds like you are on the right track with communicating and being there for her, though.

Comment

Unfortunately, we broke up. She lied about a lot of things, even as far as cheating on me. I found this out last night. It happened so fast it hasn't even registered yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X