Age gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dziubka, yeah... I can't guess Asian people's age either. XD
    In general I'm bad at guessing age. Since there's a guy in my class who's born in the same year as me, but looks at least 40 years old.
    Was just trying to say - pretty much the same thing you said. That we all have certain "things" we look for in a partner - besides looks, nationality, interests etc.. They also need to be in a stage in life that matches our preferences.
    Guess I just tried to say that I didn't have some "older guy fascination". XD

Also I didn't like my SO's age at first - so didn't really seek him out. Actually went down kinda like this:

SO's father: My son is also home on vacation.
    Me thinking: uhhh... a son (and Japanese!) *sweet music starts*
    SO's father: He works in Tokyo and is 30 years old.
    Me thinking: *sudden stop of music* 30? Naaah never mind then. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Comment

We have a 9 year age gap. It doesn'treally make a difference to either of us.

Comment

I've always been mature for my age and I've never been interested in guys my own age for too long. When I was younger I never really found myself going after older guys. I never really "searched" for my SO saying this is the age I want the guy to be and the situation I want him to be in. It just happened. I really like him for him and his age isn't much of a factor to me. I'm more interested in 80's and 90's music so we have a bit in common as far as that's concerned, but we still have enough in common that our age gap isn't much of a concern to us

Comment

I feel lucky because my fiance is only 3 months older than me. Before I met him, I didn't know and didn't care about his age. If he was younger than me or older (big age gap) than me, then I won't mind either as long we love each other. So I'm very lucky that we don't have such a big age gap.

Comment

My SO is only 11 days older than me. We have the same birth month and it's December.
            "Love wins everything especially fear."

Comment

My SO and I are only one year and three months apart. She's the younger one.

Comment

He's a month and 8 days younger than me. =]

Comment

I'm 19 years younger

Comment

My SO is 21 and I'm 34.

As someone has mentioned, it's a lot more socially acceptable for it to be the man older when there's a large age gap in a relationship. That's not the case with us. I've always been more attracted to younger men. Honestly, though, when we first met - he fudged about his age. He claimed he was 23 (rather than 21). So, he was self-conscious about his age. He thought I wouldn't give him the time of day if I knew he was only 21. Men! LOL. And I was self-conscious because I didn't understand why he could be attracted to someone sooo "old".

But we've both overcome our insecurities. However, I'm always a little concerned when the topic of his age comes up when I'm talking to my friends. I'm always worried that they may not take us seriously because of his age - and the distance that separates us. But for the most part, everyone is very supportive. It's my happiness that matters most.

Oh. And I also have a 14 year daughter. She doesn't know how young he is yet. Oddly enough, he's closer to her age than he is to mine. That might be weird for her. So, I'm not sure how to tell her.

Interesting thread - I like to see that I'm not alone in the age-gap AND long-distance relationship thing.

Comment

I'm 23 and my SO is about to turn 34 on Monday. I never had an "older man" fascination. I honestly would've preferred to be with someone closer to my age, but then I met my SO. He's the most amazing man I have ever met. I'm so lucky to have him, and I wouldn't want anyone else. There are times when the age gap is apparent, but there are other times when we barely notice it.
                      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                      Made it official: September 17, 2010
                      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                      Got married: November 21, 2012
                      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by solarkissed View Post
                        My SO is 21 and I'm 34.

As someone has mentioned, it's a lot more socially acceptable for it to be the man older when there's a large age gap in a relationship. That's not the case with us. I've always been more attracted to younger men. Honestly, though, when we first met - he fudged about his age. He claimed he was 23 (rather than 21). So, he was self-conscious about his age. He thought I wouldn't give him the time of day if I knew he was only 21. Men! LOL. And I was self-conscious because I didn't understand why he could be attracted to someone sooo "old".

But we've both overcome our insecurities. However, I'm always a little concerned when the topic of his age comes up when I'm talking to my friends. I'm always worried that they may not take us seriously because of his age - and the distance that separates us. But for the most part, everyone is very supportive. It's my happiness that matters most.

Oh. And I also have a 14 year daughter. She doesn't know how young he is yet. Oddly enough, he's closer to her age than he is to mine. That might be weird for her. So, I'm not sure how to tell her.

Interesting thread - I like to see that I'm not alone in the age-gap AND long-distance relationship thing.
                        Yay, another lady dealing with the age-gap thing...welcome to the forum.

My SO is the same age as yours (I'm 32)...my close friends have generally been pretty supportive as they see that I actually am really happy with him. My professional circle is a whole nother thing...a week from returning home after being CD for a few months, I went out to lunch with a former coworker and got called a "cougar" for the first time (to my face). Kinda killed my good mood...I definitely have become a little on edge if relationship talk comes up b/c if I tell people I'm in a relationship, the first question they always ask is "What does he do?" Then if I say "Well, he's still in university", they then ask me how old he is, judgements come up, I feel uncomfortable. I recently showed a coworker a pic of him that I had on my phone. She said "Wow, he looks young"..I admit I fudged on his age and said he was 24, then she said "Oh well, that's not that big a difference". I then felt bad I even did that, like it's not my problem if people don't approve, right? I really don't understand who decides if the difference is too big or acceptable or what. I just know my SO treats me so good, he is way more mature than my ex who was older than me! He tells me all the time not to let what others think bother me. I admit I am sensitive in that aspect.

Comment

I am 32 and my SO is 56. Age has never really mattered to me. Usually, I've dated guys that are at least 10 years older, but with this one, I feel like I have just clicked with him. How does everyone's family and friends feel about age difference with you guys? My parents don't really like it, but as I am 32, they can't say too much and I think they expect it.

Comment

my SO is 22 and i'm 17.. and the age doesn't matter.. if you both feel the same way..
                            distance means so little when someone means so much

Comment

No of course you aren't the only one! I'm 16 and my SO is 20. We love each other more than anything in the world! But I know a lot of people do look down on us since I'm 'under age' but I don't let it bother me because I love him and it's not like we're doing anything bad. PLUS we're long distance so people can't bring in the whole "how do we know you two aren't having sex? That's rape ya know..."
                              sigpic
                              We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
                              Second Visit-12.17.11
                              Closed the distance-06.20.12

Comment

Originally posted by MissVampyxo View Post
                                No of course you aren't the only one! I'm 16 and my SO is 20. We love each other more than anything in the world! But I know a lot of people do look down on us since I'm 'under age' but I don't let it bother me because I love him and it's not like we're doing anything bad. PLUS we're long distance so people can't bring in the whole "how do we know you two aren't having sex? That's rape ya know..."
                                I get this all the time x.x I'm 17 and my SO is 22, I've even had an ex threaten to call the cops on us if we ever did anything because he was jealous. >.>

Notes:
                                Met: 8.17.09
                                Started Dating: 8.20.09
                                First Met: 10.2.10
                                Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Working...
                                X