This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to not cry on the plane back?

My boyfriend and I just met the first time a couple weeks ago, and he just made it home. He's already wanting me to come visit him- even offering to pay for the ticket. I obviously want to go too- but I'm so nervous about being on a plane, I've never been on one before. And also I'm more scared about how I'll handle it when I leave? I'll be bawling my eyes out on the plane and in the airport for hours.. at least he was strong enough to hold in the tears- I was bawling even when we got to the airport.. I don't know if I'd handle it and I don't really want to go because of that reason..
    Have any of you ended up crying the whole way home on the plane?
    sigpic
    We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
    Second Visit-12.17.11
    Closed the distance-06.20.12

Luckily, I guess, I'm terrified of flying. So the panic usually overwhealmed the saddness. And it's a late night flight so I'm tired and I'm always bombed out of my mind on travelsickness pills. (I get motionsickness from computergames and from driving to the mall so, being concious and on a plane are not two things I like to put together haha) But, with that said, I'm pretty sure it's easier being the one to leave - because you're doing something, you're not just suddenly abandoned - and that might help you hold it together.

Failing that, people cry all the time at airports. Lots and lots of sad goodbyes and reunions and such going on there, so they've seen it all before. Don't let it bother you too much because most of the people will never see you again anyway/ wont remember.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Considering it has taken me a full day to get home each time, I couldn't possibly cry that long. I also tend to hold it in when things are stressful, and flying these days certainly falls under that description! I believe I cried more immediately after he left me than me leaving him seeing the great trek I had ahead when I left there.
      Ann

Comment

I think the trip to see him would trump the fear. But that's me and you know your fear best. Like Zephii said, everyone is always crying at airports so it shouldn't be too bad especially cuz you'll probably never see those people again. I wouldn't be strong either, I'd probably cry non stop. But that's how I am :P

Comment

well i just let little sniffles come in and then i go from being sad to super pissy, lol seems to work when you dont wanna sob the entire trip

Comment

I didn't cry on my flight, I'm not sure why, because usually I cry at everything. I think I was numb, and also, I guess really happy because the last trip is what established us as a couple.

That said, I know when he comes to visit this autumn, I'm going to be a mess when he leaves. I do imagine it's harder to be the one left than the one leaving.

And another fearful flyer here! I do think that helps. Heh.

Comment

After I left my boyfriend at the airport, he texted me saying he had cried all through security, waiting for his flight and was then sitting on the plane, still sniffly. His attitude about it was "they're just tears. Nothing anybody hasn't seen before." He said no one bothered him or anything- I agree with Zephii, tons of really emotionally charged things happen at the airport so I think it's normal to see people crying there.

Comment

I only left my so a bit over 2 weeks ago and I cried as soon as my ticket was checked and I started my walk onto the plane and I cried some more on the plane. I found the best idea was to concentrate and make a list of things in your head of things you need to get done when you get home, not unpack your bags though, too big a reminder.
                SMART TIP: Don't listen to your ipod on shuffle, a song may come on which reminds you of your so and that just set me off again!

Comment

To be honest, in a situation like this, I really don't mind if people see me cry. And really, I doubt one could manage to cry an entire plane trip, it gets exhausting! I've only visited my boyfriend once and when I had to leave him it wasn't at the airport. Instead I went out with him that morning before my flight and then later he and I parted ways so my cousin (who took me on the trip) and I could drive to the airport. I admit, I did cry a lot of that car ride and while we were at the airport, but we had time before the flight to get lunch, so even though I was sad I had other things to focus on which helped. But even if I had cried during the flight, well...it's an emotional situation, and it's a lot different than sobbing loudly and disturbing other people like a wailing child would. If people are so rude as to stare at you because you have wet eyes then that's really their problem and not yours.

Comment

I honestly am too emotional for this though. I bet I will be crying the entire plane ride. I've been crying on and off all day sobbing- literally sobbing since 1pm and it's now 11pm. This is the most heart breaking thing I think I will ever go through. And I'm on cam with him now and I can't stop. I want him beside me and I want to sleep next to him tonight and knowing I can't is making my heart rip into pieces.
                    sigpic

First Visit-7.13.11
                    Second Visit-12.17.11

Comment

Umm...I'm not sure how to put it but at least to me personally there isn't much to do to avoid crying on the plane back. I mean, if you feel like crying then you'll most likely cry anyway even if it takes some time. I don't care what other people will think upon seeing me crying. On the other hand I happen to be a type of person who doesn't like to be sad all the time. Sure I'll cry but I won't let it take over for a long time. I always try to be strong and patient, and convince myself that hey this is not goodbye, this is "see you again". I agree with Rosebud. I'd be asleep in the plane as goodbye+long trip = exhausting!

Comment

Yeah, I cried the whole way home - 3 plane rides and over 24 hours of travelling. I cried while saying goodbye to my SO, while walking through the gate, while talking to her on the phone while waiting to board the plane, while being on the plane, while typing to her from a free internet kiosk... I just cried and cried and cried. People kept staring at me with worried looks, but I couldn't help it. I've never felt so sad and empty before.

Comment

Originally posted by MissVampyxo View Post
                          I honestly am too emotional for this though. I bet I will be crying the entire plane ride. I've been crying on and off all day sobbing- literally sobbing since 1pm and it's now 11pm. This is the most heart breaking thing I think I will ever go through. And I'm on cam with him now and I can't stop. I want him beside me and I want to sleep next to him tonight and knowing I can't is making my heart rip into pieces.

*Big big big huggles* awww honey we've all been there, just let yourself cry its good to get it out and after that you'll still have tears but they'll get less and less as the days roll by

Comment

The only time I left him he and my friend came to the airport with me. He had to get to work so he didn't stay long so we hugged goodbye and as soon as he left and I walked over to my friend I couldn't hold out any longer and started crying. Then she started crying and it was a big cry fest but I managed to sort myself out before getting on to the plane.

Comment

Thank you to all of you, I'm sure I'll end up crying the entire plane ride(s)! I'm just so sick of going through all of this- I want to just be with him already!!
                              sigpic

First Visit-7.13.11
                              Second Visit-12.17.11

Comment

Working...
                              X