I Love You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Love You

Just a questions for everyone...it's probably been discussed before...does anyone thing the term "I Love You" is overused or misused these days? Possibly so much that for a lot of people it's lost its meaning?

It certainly hasn't lost its meaning for me. I love hearing those three words, especially because I know my SO really means it whenever she writes or says it. Some people do take it too lightly though. Like my best female friend. She can meet someone online and talk to them for several hours and already says "I love you!" or "You're the love of my life!", that's just dumb. I can't take that seriously. It works for her, but I want something real. Which I do. With my SO.

Comment

It depends, I mean yes people over use it so if it comes from someone who says I love you to everyone and everything it really has no meaning to me, but when my SO says it my whole body tingles and I get massive butterflies, you just need to determine the meaning and weight it holds to the person using it.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I think it can be misused, i.e. when my coworker gives me chocolate, and I say "I love you" to kid around :P But when I say it to my SO, I always say it when I'm marveling over how incredible he is, and how much I really do love him! And it makes me so incredibly happy when he says it... particularly when he says it first haha.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

it has never lost any meaning to me or Denise, i love saying it and i love hearing her say it

Comment

I don't know if it's overused/misused. I only say it when I mean it and have only said it to a few people.
            sigpic

Comment

I think it is, especially because we all use it so lightly. My SO and I really mean it when we say it to each other, but I can tell you that I go to the supermarket and say "oh I love ice cream!!!" or "I love that soda!"...things like that..that's when its misused. :P

Comment

it depends to the person, but for me personally it hasn't lost any meaning especially to those I love.
                I told my SO I love him several times and never once he told me that he loved me *chuckles*
                Because this love has a special meaning for both of us, so I know when someday my SO tell me he love me, it means that he really love me.

Comment

I will never forget hearing "i love you" from my SO for the first time... both online and for the first time in person. For us it definitely is more than 3 little words and I never, ever get tired of hearing it.
                  Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
                  Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
                  Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
                  Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
                  Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

those 3 words were very difficult for me to say until I met my current bf. he's so wonderful that I have an easy time saying (and meaning) it. he tells me he loves me all the time. I think it is misused just not in our case.

Comment

First time he say it, he say it with Russian language, which is i don't understand.. until the 3rd time he say i was curious and browse and then i knew what "Ya tebyA lyublyU" means hahahah.. but he rarely say it these days.. hes not very expressive person.. not really like to say.. but more to be "doer" he made me know he love me not by just saying it.

I dont think its misused in our relationship.. because i did meant it whenever i say it.. and i believe he did the same

Comment

It's so interesting reading all these responses yet they all say pretty much the same thing. I do think a lot of people misuse it, but when it is used right I don't think it can be overused. As for myself, I've only ever said it to certain people, and thus far those relationships have ended. So I guess I'm hesitant to say it to my SO for fear that I when I say it she won't believe that I mean it. It's possible it's also too early to say it as well. I can only hope that when I do feel the time is right it will be taken as intended; an expression of how I truly feel.

Comment

I'm a person that thinks over using a word definitely loses its meaning over a period of time. Being 14, teenagers (mostly girls) overuse the words "I love you" alot at my school. and i know they're just saying it. but when my SO says it too me over and over and over and over again, I know she means it with all her heart and i never get tired of hearing I love you come out from her mouth or on a simple text message. She's the only person I've ever said I love you. and I do tend to say it lots whenever i can, just so she won't forget over the time we can't communicate. You should never get tired of your SO saying I love you in my opinion .
                          My favorite text message conversation:

Tobby:love ko! what are you doing?
                          Nika:learning how to cook love ko.
                          Tobby:cooking? please put some in a plastic bag and send some to me so i can taste it! <3
                          Nika: weh? your silly! I'm learning how to cook so when we get married, I'll be cooking all your meals love ko. <3
                          Tobby:your so sweet.<3 marry me now? hahaha
                          Nika: We're still kids love ko, lets wait until we're more mature, but you know my answer will be yes, whenever you ask!
                          Tobby:I love you so much! You're the one for me, I'll wait as long as i need to love ko. love you!
                          Nika:I love you too! call me Nika Sy now.. hehe
                          Tobby: Addict!
                          Nika: Addicted! <3

Comment

I think some people do overuse "I love you" because they've forgotten the meaning of the words, I've known many people like that. However, when it comes to my SO saying I love you to me, I blush and feel warmth through me, because the words are so precious to me to hear.

Comment

Just like most of the fellow LFAD-ers said, it depends a lot on context.
                              There are persons who use the verb "love" more often than they breath, lol. "I love this", "I love that", "I love you" as in "I love you for doing my homework" or other such situations where it's not the case to use "I love you" O.o
                              However, when they come from the one you love and who loves you, it gets a whole lot more emotion and meaning

Comment

Working...
                              X