The LEAST he could do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LEAST he could do...

EDIT: Sorry for those that might be pained by my long post, skip to "Now" to avoid all of my backstory!

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. I came to these forums because I'm in a really difficult position and no one in my life can relate to or even understand what I'm going through. Not that I blame them, though...

To start, I really just want to give the basics so that this doesn't turn into a novel and bore all of you. If anyone has questions about anything, I'll definitely give more details.

Background...

My boyfriend and I met in February of this year in my hometown of New Orleans. He's from Austria and was basically just passing through, taking a road trip from California back to his friends' place in Florida. We were both really intrigued with each other and had budding chemistry, so we continued to stay in contact with each other even after he left. A little over a month later, I flew to see him in Florida. We had a dramatic/fun/crazy/unbelievable week vacationing in Key West and Miami. We really started to become rooted to and invested in each other. At the end of March, however, he had to go back to Austria to avoid overstaying his visa. He had reassured me that he would come back in about four weeks, but that ended up becoming two months. Not only until I saw what he went through when coming back to the US so quickly did I feel guilty for all the hell that I put him through, nagging him to return ASAP...

He was grilled for hours on end by immigration control asking him why he had come back so soon and if he had a girlfriend. (Thank god he knew well enough not to admit to that, because he would have been banned from entering for God know's how long!) They stamped his passport for exit with the date August 24, 2011 and told him that AFTER THAT, they didn't want to see him again before May of 2012. Although it wasn't the original plan, he ended up staying with me for nearly all Summer long. We went through a lot of ups and downs, but finally seemed to find harmony in living together. I didn't want him to leave and he didn't want to go. We had that dreaded date looming over our heads and we came really close to doing something about it...

We had talked about marriage casually a few times before, but now it was basically our only shot to prevent being torn apart. We went to the courthouse, paid for the marriage application, made a date with the pastor. Holy crap, this was really hitting us. However, there were several dilemmas: I couldn't tell my parents that I was doing this. They would meet me with vehement opposition. They felt they had a right to have a say in this decision. A say which is "HELL, NO, YOU IDIOT!" They're extremely judgmental and cynical people and would not sympathize with the urgency and circumstances of our situation. Also, I'm in my last semester of college and can't even handle the demand of an average part time job with my current course load, so I don't have enough income to sponsor his visa on my own. On top of that, if I got married, I would be dropped from my dad's health insurance plan, which I've been on my entire life. I have diabetes, so not having health insurance would be putting my life at risk. I don't think my dad would turn a cold shoulder to me in finding another health insurance plan if/when I need to, but it would obviously be much more expensive for someone with pre-existing conditions looking for healthcare in this market and would be disrespectful forcing him to do so in such a frantic manner.

We realized our backs were up against the wall. Reality was mounting against us. We just couldn't get married. Since August 10 (our wedding day that never was) we began the process of painfully accepting that we may be separated for about 9 months. From then on, he has become increasingly distant. I can't help but think that deep down he has a little resentment toward me in his heart. He's going back home practically broke. He spent nearly every dime he has coming back to see me so quickly. He has to face everyone in his hometown having heard that he's married to a girl and living happily in America, and wondering why he's back home. I think he feels like he's taken a big risk in loving me and trying to be with me, and it hasn't paid off.

Now...

He's constantly flaking off on me. He says he will call me on Skype, and then doesn't show up. I'll call his cell phone (which is expensive) and ask him why he isn't keeping his word. It seems like he's trying to distance himself from me emotionally. His excuse is that he's gone back with very little money and has to work long and hard hours to try to stabilize himself again. He's busy and when he's not busy, he's too tired to keep his eyes open. But it's been over a week now and we haven't talked. He doesn't respond to my e-mails at all. The only time it seems that I can get any communication with him is when I call his cell phone. There have been days when I try to talk to him and he says he's having dinner by his mom (even though he blew me off and didn't message me about his change in plans) or he's hanging out with his friends, or he's going to see his brother. Wow, he can do all of that, but he doesn't have the energy over the course of an entire week to talk with me on Skype? I've tried telling him that this is damaging our relationship and that we're not going to make it if we can't maintain some consistent communication. I know he doesn't want to be on a crazy rollercoaster of emotions and I agree that it's best to maintain a certain amount of emotional distance so that we don't go insane. However, even if you don't want to grow a forest, you still need a minimal amount of water to keep a plant alive.

I've yelled, cried, begged, pleaded, debated, demanded. It seems like no matter how rational or irrational my approach, he's just not being as responsive. I do believe he still loves me, wants to be with me, and will remain faithful to me. However, him pushing me away constantly makes me feel like every day is a groundhog day of heartbreak. I don't think I can handle swallowing a poo sandwich of emotional pain every single day for the next nine months. I'm so miserable and upset that he's not meeting me halfway on things. I wish I could just move on from him just for the sake of not going through this misery, but I'm too emotionally invested in him. The love I have for him is just too strong to die, but I feel like it's killing me in the process.

P.S. I've taken a lot of care to explain to my dad how much this relationship means to me. He was reluctant at first, but I think the fact that we're toughing it out through this separation makes him have a lot more respect for us. He agreed to support me visiting my boyfriend in Austria after the semester ends in early December.

If anyone has any thoughts/opinions/advice/experience, it would be greatly appreciated!

First of all I am glad to see someone from Baton Rouge. I am in Baton Rouge too.
    I would feel the same way you do, and I do as I only Skyped with my BF twice since August 15th and compare to you and your SO, we do not have a time difference and so on and so forth and he definitely has time to Skype. He just doesn't want to. We have been together for over 1.5 years...
    In your situation, however, I see a few positive things. You can, just explain to him why exactly you are worried and tell him that you do not want to loose that emotional connection with him and need him to try his best to communicate more. Another thing that I think is GREAT is that you gonna get to see him fairly soon! Then you can talk more about what is going on and if you both still feel like getting married, then you can start planning your wedding and that will occupy your mind in the mean time before he comes back (and you will have time to find a job and figure out your insurance issue).
    Have faith and try to not be too dramatic or he will be glad he did not marry you, you know.

Comment

Thanks for your response!

Yeah, like I said...sometimes I've been emotional and upset (mainly when he PROMISES that he will call me and has started habitually flaking on me without sending me a message that he can't keep it)...but I've also been very open and honest about how I feel and why I feel that way...I've tried to explain it in as rational a manner as anyone could...maybe he prefers not to talk so much, but talking this little is really hard on me and I'm not sure he really is trying to understand that...trust me, I know I'm not being as dramatic as the first time when we were separated...I was horrible back then because I wasn't ready to accept that situation and make those sacrifices...Now I am, but I still have some emotional needs and all I want is just a bit of cooperation -_-

Comment

I'm actually going through something a bit of a similar situation. My girlfriend and I have been doing the LD for a little over 6 months now. She is in school right now and is very busy. At first it was hard to deal with because we used to talk and Skype everyday. Our communication became less and less and now we probably talk once every 2 or 3 days. The best thing I thought I could do for her was give her her space and live her life where she is at school. I know she is faithful and loves me so I don't worry about that. In the beginning before she headed off to school I told her not to worry about "Us" and just get your schooling done so we can be together permanently. One time I called her out of the blue and I heard her laughing and having a good time with other students and I felt a little hurt at first because I wish it was me that was there making her laugh. I then realized that she is getting her schooling done but has to have fun as well or she will go insane. I text her every morning to say that I love her and that I hope she has a great day and call or text her at night saying good night and that I love her whether or not she answers. I always tell her to call me when she can so she doesn't feel any stress from since she has so much from school.

Sorry for that rambling lol. Basically what I am getting at is that I gave her the space she needs to get her stuff done and have fun and be social at the same time. Maybe that is what your boyfriend needs. I know it's hard. I miss her terribly everyday and it's hard not to talk to her for a few days. My friends think that I am letting her walk all over me but I don't see it that way. This my relationship with her and not with them and this is how I decide to deal with it and give her her freedom. I hope this helps even though I trailed off a bit lol. Just relax and be patient with you SO. That's what I tell myself.

Comment

thanks for your input, spidey...i know everyone differs when it comes to the amount of space they need...i know he's working very hard/long hours to get stable again now that's he's back home, and talking every day would be too demanding for him...i've never expected that much from him...the most that i had hoped for was at most, talking at least for an hour twice on the weekend days and one weekday...

i called him wednesday and asked him why he hasn't taken the time to call me in over a week and if he still wants to be in a relationship with me...ONCE AGAIN, he said he WOULD call me friday (today)...he never showed up on skype...this is really hurtful to me...

at this point, should i give him absolute freedom and not bother to contact him in the first place under any circumstances?...if i go through having to live without contact with him for long enough, i doubt i'll want to give him another chance and start all over again in the future

Comment

Oh girlie ((( I know the feeling oh too well... I do not know what to suggest. I would probably not contact since he can not hold his word. I assume he said that he still wanted to be in a relationship with you then let him prove it. If he doesn't then move on. There is this movie called "He is just not that into you" which basically states that if a man really wants you he will hang the Moon for you. Btw, if you ever at LSU we could meet up for coffee or smth.

Comment

miramaid - sent you a PM

yeah, i don't think that i will contact him...even though i'm the one making all the effort to stay in contact, he's not really doing his part from there onward...whenever i tell him how frustrated it makes me, he says that i just don't understand what he's going through and that he has other problems that he's dealing with and doesn't have the time...

i guess what i'm most bothered by is this sour feeling that he's not going to put a damn bit of effort into this relationship for the months that we're apart, but when he's back in the US again, his attitude will change and he will do his best to be just as wonderful to me as he was before...i do understand that sometimes people are the worst people under the worst circumstances and the best people under the best circumstances...

like i said before, in a way, i kinda feel like whether our relationship survives or not comes down to my willingness to eat a poo sandwich for the next nine months...it's not really something i'm known for having done in the past... =/

Comment

stop chasing and play it cool. Give it 2 or 3 weeks. In that time he will either realize he can't live without you or you just wont care. It's never right to be the only one putting work into a relationship. He's being a git... full stop.

One caution I will throw in is do not get married just so he can stay in the USA. It's a long term investment with the visas and such and you really haven't known each other long enough to know if you will work together. I made that mistake once and it was 8 years of "wth did I do that for". We recently got divorced and looking back I realized we just flew into it way too fast. If you are meant to be together then do it correctly, leave it LD for awhile and work through the visas to get him here. You will need a sponsor if you do not make enough, or a co-sponsor. That's a 10 year commitment so be sure of what you are doing. Im still a sponsor for my ex even though we don't speak any longer. I'll be glad when that 10 years is up. Don't mean to rain on your parade, just to give you a good dose of reality.

Yes, there are ways to come here and get married and stay. It's expensive but it can be done with no fear of being deported. But no longer than you have known each other it's a recipe for disaster. As was said, if he loves you truly he will move mountains to be with you... and that includes being where he says he's going to be to talk to you when it's planned. If he doesn't think any more of you than to leave you sitting then girl... you deserve way better. If you are determined to be with him however, just remember this adage... run away until you catch him Give it 2 weeks and then re-evaluate your feelings on the whole matter. You might be surprised with what realizations come to the surface.
                Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
                Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
                Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
                Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
                Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by LeilaniJoi View Post
                  One caution I will throw in is do not get married just so he can stay in the USA. It's a long term investment with the visas and such and you really haven't known each other long enough to know if you will work together.
                  overall, you're right on this and i respect your opinion because you have personal experience on the matter...however, let's say that we don't get married and that's the only guaranteed way that he can establish permanent residency here...it's likely that he would only be able to be with me 3 months per year...(we did end up spending nearly all of his last 3 months living together - like EVERY SINGLE WAKING MOMENT together)...i can already see how the long distance has pretty much stagnated our relationship...it might be that we never have the opportunity to grow our relationship consistently...we just wouldn't have the time together...so the only way to find out if it can work is to take that risk...so it's like...if i'm not willing to take that risk, i should just walk away from the relationship entirely...

but you know, as it turns out...he has what i like to call, "second parents" in florida...they've been supporting us through this whole journey, offering to sponsor his visa, be witnesses for our secret wedding, referring us to a great immigration lawyer, and whatever else we might need...they have even gone so far as to offer him the money to apply for an EB-5 investment visa which would be a minimum of $500,000...in that case, he could start the business that he's been dreaming of and obtain permanent residency...they suggested this as an potential solution that would take the pressure off of our relationship to get married...however, it's SUCH a huge sum of money...i can't even consider it to be a real option at this point...that amount of graciousness just seems too good to be true!

Comment

overall, you're right on this and i respect your opinion because you have personal experience on the matter...however, let's say that we don't get married and that's the only guaranteed way that he can establish permanent residency here...it's likely that he would only be able to be with me 3 months per year...(we did end up spending nearly all of his last 3 months living together - like EVERY SINGLE WAKING MOMENT together)...i can already see how the long distance has pretty much stagnated our relationship...it might be that we never have the opportunity to grow our relationship consistently...we just wouldn't have the time together...so the only way to find out if it can work is to take that risk...so it's like...if i'm not willing to take that risk, i should just walk away from the relationship entirely...
                    I see your point, truly I do. But ask yourself this question. Do you want "permanent residency" to be the main reason you get married? If it wasn't for him being able to stay in the USA would you be in such a rush to marry him? Are all the other pieces in place to give you a solid foundation? I know it seems right now like you can't live without him there, but truthfully if it's meant to be then distance won't mar that. It might get rocky, it might be stressful and it's a whole lot of damn work to maintain an LDR but... in the end it comes down to the same thing. If you are meant to be then things will work out so that you can be together sooner or later. If not, well.. then you have your answer.

I'm not saying ditch him and call it all off, just give it some time. A few months isn't that long when it comes down to it, though it seems like YEARS. There are many on this board that have maintained an LDR for far, far longer, many times not seeing their SO for a year or longer at a time. His willingness to put work into the LDR is directly relative to his willingness to put work into a CD relationship. Just don't rush into it even though that is your first instinct. Despite how wonderful it was on a 3 month visit, things will change once he's moved, they will cool down... there will be a HUGE cultural adjustment for him once he is committed to staying here, finding work, getting legal, etc and a LOT of stress for you both. Just take your time and don't let your heart shove you down that road too fast.

If you do decide to marry him while he's here legally on a visitors visa, you then have to file the paperwork necessary to get him temporary residency while his visa is still legal. If you wait until his visa runs out then you risk him being sent home. Filing this type of paperwork is expensive, the I-131 alone I believe now is about $1,000 and there are other forms to be done as well.

Just don't rush is all I'm saying. I hope it works out well for you and that everything falls into place. It's tough to be that far from the one you love, but just know that if you are fated to be together then you will be... whether it's a few weeks, a few months or a few years from now.

Saying all that, it's not right for him to say he will be online or available to talk and then just not be there. That for me would be a huge big red flag.

Editing to add:
                    Yes, my own LDR was very short term and we were able to close the distance very quickly, but we are not married. I found a job here a lot faster than I expected, he managed to get back to work after looking for several months and everything just fell into place for it to happen and there was nothing international to work out with immigration. If all of these things had not just clicked into place I would still be in an LDR and pining for the day I could be with him full time. As it turns out, I get off work today to go home and wash his dirty socks and boxers... oh the romance of it all .. hehe
                    Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
                    Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
                    Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
                    Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
                    Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

honestly, under normal circumstances, i wouldn't get married to anyone unless we had been together for a while and decided that we wanted to have kids and start a family together...i would never marry someone just because i'm in love with them...it just seems unnecessary to me...however, being in the position that i'm in now, i would have a practical reason for getting married, so the idea doesn't seem as whimsical to me...i would think that after a year and a half of being together and having passed both tests of being LD and living together, that's not really rushing...

sorry if i gave the impression that it was nothing but wonderful and rainbows and sunshine during the time that he lived with me this summer...we definitely had a lot of disagreements and arguments, but it turned out that FINALLY we were able to make adjustments and got better at resolving our conflicts...we both realized that if we didn't put in the work, this relationship wasn't going to make it...so i guess the fact that we went through the conflict and figured out how to make it work gave me confidence that this really could be successful in the long run...

trust me, we've had consultation with the immigration lawyer...we know all the paperwork involved and all the fees associated with it...he's never been here illegally...he's been very careful of not overstaying his visa because that could strain our relationship even more and prevent him from becoming legal in the future...

i guess i can say that i'm okay with being separated from him for certain periods of time...but what really hurts me is how distant he has been...you're totally right that it is a red flag...it makes me confused, nervous, and even angry...at this point, i think i'd feel better if he would just tell me that he doesn't want to be in a relationship anymore so that i could have some closure...all this uncertainty really is torture...i just wish i could know what is going on with him!

Comment

EDIT: whoops, double post!

Comment

Working...
                        X