Would you be upset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you be upset?

I know I already posted this on my blog ( Thanks to lucybelle for giving me advice on my whole entry), but I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about this.

Disclaimer: I'm normally not a vain person. I don't really wear make-up. I live in jeans, hoodies and sneakers. I don't care what I look like most of the time.

This past weekend was one of my best friend ( Jen)'s wedding. I was her maid of honor and therefore got to pick out my own dress and everything. I did my nails, and make-up and paid to get my hair done for the occasion. I tried very hard to look nice. For once, I actually felt pretty .My SO also went to said wedding as my + one. He didn't say anything at all! This is the first time he's seen me all dressed up.

To make matters worse, it seemed like he was the only one who didn't notice me. Several of Jen's cousins asked me to dance with them and one of them even went so far as to ask the bride whether or not I was single, because he wanted to make a move on me.

So my question is: Would you guys be upset if your SO didn't say anything to you when you tried hard to look good?
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

I'd probably be a bit upset, but eh. Some men are just clueless when it comes to these things. However, even if he didn't notice the effort you put in, he probably should have said something about how nice you looked; just seems to polite thing to do when you're both dressed pretty for a special occasion.

But again, some men are clueless.

Comment

I would a little yes, but I'd also be surprised if he said nothing, because in all honesty he does tend to compliment me whenever he can But if he didn't say anything, I'd be a bit put out because I'd made an effort to look nice and to change the way my SO and others look at me, from going to see me everyday in trousers and t-shirts to wearing something a bit fancy and formal, and for him to not really look at me and compliment me on all the hard work I'd put into making myself look classy and nice, it would be a quite a disappointment.

Comment

I'd like to think that it wouldn't bother me, but I'd definitely be upset too!!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I'm not sure if it would bother me personally, simply because if I got all prettied up and my partner hadn't said anything, I would likely say something along the lines of "so what do you think?" It was this way a lot with my ex. With my current partner, he tends to compliment me quite often, so it might bother me a bit if I got fancied up and he said nothing. It didn't insult me with my ex, however, because it wasn't common-state for him to compliment me. I agree with what others have said; some men are clueless about what to say in such situations. :P You could always ask him, if you want the validation, or bring it up casually.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
          Met online: February 2009
          Feelings confessed: December 2010
          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

I wouldn't be upset at him, but i think i'fdfeel a bit, not hurt but maybe make me feel self concious, like do i look silly? It made me feel good when I did fix up like to go to dom's b-day or when i curled my hair he complimented me, and makes me feel special. But then again my SO's weird lol he doesn't like makeup and always says im wearing to much when all i add is a bit of concealer and eye-liner. Maybe he just didn't feel the need to say it, that it was obvious? Or it didn't have a moment to come up? I probably would have asked, how do i look? But no i think your justified to be a bit upset. I don't think you should let it become a argument, but let him know how you feel.
            I love you Nathan <3
            sigpic
            5/25/09 <3

Comment

I would be upset. I don't typically wear makeup or dress up that often, so when I do I'd like for him to appreciate it. But then I would also flat out tell him that I'd like his opinion on how I looked. My SO isn't much with words so sometimes I have to drag things out of him.

Comment

My ex husband did not say ONE WORD to me when he saw me in my wedding dress right before the wedding. Yes, I was hurt. A very tiny part of me still carries it with me. If nothing else, I will never forget how I felt that day. -_-

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                  My ex husband did not say ONE WORD to me when he saw me in my wedding dress right before the wedding. Yes, I was hurt. A very tiny part of me still carries it with me. If nothing else, I will never forget how I felt that day. -_-
                  Mine did the same thing, and I never forgot it

Rugger, if my boyfriend did that, I'd be pretty irritated, but I think I would have opened my mouth about it, just because I wouldn't want my memory of the night tainted because of it. Sometimes guys, especially younger ones, haven't quite figured this stuff out yet and won't unless you kind of let them know what you expect. You don't have to come on really strong about it, but gently tell him that you spent a lot of time to look nice for him, and what does he think? I've found it can be easier to just say it, and get it over with, he'll get the hint.
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, I'd probably be a little upset, BUT look at it from his perspective. Maybe he was at a loss for words because you're so beautiful. Also, if he wasn't spending a whole lot of time around you, maybe it's because he was really nervous or got really "excited" around you and didn't really want certain things to show until his body got used to the sight of you looking incredibly amazing. So, if a reaction is that important to you, approach him about it. Ask him things such as "So, what do you think?" or if you want to approach him about it now, ask him "So, what did you think of Jen's wedding?" and "Would you like to see me wear something like that more often?".

Comment

I'd definitely be at least a little hurt because like you I never dress up ever, so if he didn't even think I looked extra pretty or something my confidence would be shot.

Notes:
                      Met: 8.17.09
                      Started Dating: 8.20.09
                      First Met: 10.2.10
                      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

of course I would be upset!

Comment

I would be very upset! I'm the same way, living in t-shirts and jeans and flip flops and if my SO didn't say anything after I put so much effort into everything, we would definitely have words at the end of the evening.

Comment

I've never had been upset with my SO, I think I can't be upset with her. So I wouldn't.

Did you ask him "what do you think about my outfit?" If you asked it the normal is that he answers but if you didn't... don't wait too much. I agree with what Moon said about guys. We don't care or don't notice these things often... Plus, what about if he noticed but he didn't like that? Maybe he likes another style.
                            Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

I was in a similar situation and I was REALLY hurt and confused so finally when we were alone as we were leaving.. I asked him point blank.. "Don't you like the way I look all dressed up?" and he said.."Yes, you do look nice.. but you are absolutely beautiful without the make up.. wearing your big tee shirt and a pair of fluffy socks..THAT is my favorite outfit you wear." Now I just ask him.. so I know what he's thinking. He can be a bit oblivious.

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
                              And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

Working...
                              X