I don't know what to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what to do...

So yesterday my SO came back from highschool, and I stayed up until the late hours to be there for him when he got home. We were chatting for a bit when he said he had to go do something real quick, and that when he got back he had something to tell me. Now, when he generally has something bothering him, he'll say something along these lines and then tell me and we'll try and deal with the problem. Alarm bells rang in my head for no apparent reason in my head, and I started to get worried. When he came back, he told me what it was that was bothering him, and I instantly felt my heart sinking the moment I heard what he had to say.

He told me that the lack of physical contact, like a hug or a kiss, has been driving him insane. I'm one of the few people in his life, if the only one, who shows him affection and love. His parents are horrible to him to say the least, and don't like to show him affection. He might get the occasional hug from a friend at school, but he says it's not enough. He craves for me to be there with him, to hold him, like we've seen each other do in our dreams. We haven't met yet, and the likelihood is that we won't be able to see each other for a few years at least due to circumstances. He says that the lack of my touch is driving him crazy inside and that it's been affecting him worse than he's been letting on, that he's been hiding the majority of his hurt from me. He says it's making him weaker. I tried to help convince him that he isn't weak and that he's just suffering a lot because of the lack of my touch, but I couldn't get through to him. I jumped the gun a bit when he made it sound like he was going to break up with me because he couldn't bear the lack of physical touch and I overreacted and sounded really clingy. He said that if anything I wasn't clingy enough, and it did hearten me a little to hear that I guess. But I was in floods of tears and I couldn't stop sobbing. I told him I understood how he felt because I felt it too, and that I'd been hiding the pain I'd been feeling lately from both him and myself without even realising it. I've been so busy with uni lately I've had no time to dwell on the pain, but it's been there and building up and I had no idea it was. My SO told me that he wanted me close by him and he understood that there was no way we could be together at the moment, and that was what was bothering him. It bothers me too.

We don't know what to do, I certainly don't. The only option we could think of was open relationships, but we're both not sure how that would turn out. I'm afraid my jealousy would get in the way and jeopardise things and I'm afraid he might develop feelings for whoever he was in an open relationship with, if that ever happened. He told me however that he could never leave, cheat, break up with or abandon me because he loves me too much and he knows I love him too much. He told me he would never do anything to hurt me. We got cut off from Skype whilst we were talking and I passed out from exhaustion, having cried myself to sleep. Come morning and my SO was waiting for me, and when we started talking, things were subdued and I felt depressed as hell, and to make matters worse, his father heard him talking and he came into the room. Chris had to cut our Skype call, and I don't know at the moment whether or not he's lost his laptop because his father's taken it. If that's the case (the worst case scenario) I don't know how we'll be able to talk on Skype for awhile because they've already confiscated his phone and iPod overnight so things just got a whole lot more difficult.

I just don't want to lose him. He means too much to me and I too much to him, and we've fought too hard for what we have now to let it go now

I don't know what to do...I feel completely clueless and upset. :/

What about sending a hug gram, like one of those people that dress up in a costume and send a hug from you to your SO?
    He said you weren't clingy enough ? when ever you get spare time send him a message
    " Just sending you some love, talk later tonight "
    I send my boyfriend stuff like that if we haven't talked in a while.
    Let your him know that you love and miss him daily.

I personally would not suggest open relationships, especially if you don't like the idea to begin with. Its not something that I would personally find easy.
    " There is always hope.
    "

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon Q View Post
      What about sending a hug gram, like one of those people that dress up in a costume and send a hug from you to your SO?
      He said you weren't clingy enough ? when ever you get spare time send him a message
      " Just sending you some love, talk later tonight "
      I send my boyfriend stuff like that if we haven't talked in a while.
      Let your him know that you love and miss him daily.

I personally would not suggest open relationships, especially if you don't like the idea to begin with. Its not something that I would personally find easy.
      Thank you for the suggestion. An open relationship is not something I'm keen on the idea of at all, and neither is he, but I just don't see what else we can do :/

Comment

I would definitely say if you both don't like the idea of an open relationship, don't do it. I personally know I wouldn't be comfortable at all with it, and pretty sure my boy wouldn't be either, no matter what the circumstances. I know the lack of physical touch kills me at times, because I love hugs and cuddling, and little things like that, and it's hard not being able to get that from the one person I really want it from. Make sure he knows you're feeling the same way, but I know you still want to make things work, so make sure that you remind him of that. I'm sure he knows, but it never hurts to say it again, you know? Along with constant reminders about how much you care about him and how you're in love with him. And remind him that you'll do everything in your power to see him as soon as you can manage it, because I'm sure that's your intention.
        LDR's are really hard, for anyone. Whether we knew it or not when we were getting into it (I sure didn't), but technology has helped to bring together so many people who are so right for each other that may have not met otherwise, and if we're willing to keep that in mind, and that the distance will be over one day, we can all make it. You two seem like you've got an amazing thing going, so you've both just gotta keep that in mind and stay strong it'll work out in the end, as long as you two are willing to really work at it.
        You never forget your first love...

Comment

I think two things: 1) You's need to make a plan in which this relationship is a priority in your lives. This might mean taking a gap year from school or uni for one of you. It might mean working a tonne of overtime. It might mean toughing it out and surviving off only letters for a while if his parents keep his technology (P.O boxes are woth their weight in gold honestly). But you need a doable plan. How long until he finishes highschool? Have you looked at your visa options? If you can plot your progress together it will give you hope to cling to.
          If you need to talk I'm here for you. I moved out of home very young, so I know those challenges, and I'm pretty decent at planning.
          2) Theres a lot you can do to replicate those physical touches, especially as you haven't met yet. I hate to be a debbie downer but it only gets worse after you meet and know what you're missing. Write him a love letter. Explain in grand detail exactly how you'd kiss him, where you'd touch him. Set the scene for him. Let your girly gushy side out - show him you're vulnerable too. Make a video for him and put it on youtube, tell him the world needs to know how much you love him. Take close-up photos of individual parts of your body, be creative, let him get a little closer (they dont need to be sexual to be effective - even an ordinary picture of your hand is something special when you haven't met because most times a webcam isnt as detailed). Send him things... mail, or a daily joke via text message (when he gets his phone back), virtual flowers, bad poetry. If you reach out enough that lack of physical touch wont be as painfully obvious.[COLOR="Silver"]
          Last edited by Zephii; September 22, 2011, 04:03 PM. Reason: double postage of doom
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Zephii has given some really good ideas. Get creative with it it. Send him maybe a care package or an article of clothing (he can then get an idea of what you smell like), but whatever you do, don't go for an open relationship if its not something either of you want. Being with other people isn't going to fill the hole that both of you feel. It's going to make it even worse, because in your heart you know the only person you want to be touching is your SO. It will only create more drama and pain for the two of you.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help. Just as an update, Chris and I've managed to speak since this all happened and thankfully, his dad only took his headphones away instead of his laptop. He got them back this morning, and we were able to speak as usual. Hopefully, with a little bit of planning, everything will be alright. It continues to amaze me how kind and helpful everyone is on this site, thank you guys <3 Means a lot.

Comment

Been here. Was a point in our relationship, my SO stressed how hard it was to see a happy couple together not have that yet. Which scared me, I felt like you did that I might lose him, but we talked it through. I just stressed how much I needed him and not to give up. Kept telling him how I feel, and hope that we would meet one day. It may take a couple of days of just reassuring eachother that it will be worth it, but we got through this. I would also talk about when you can meet. Even if its still far away its better then not having any meet date or hope. Just talk about how you can meet, and what you will do together, and steps to take to see eachother. Just stay strong and dont give up hope, I hope things work out, best of luck!
                I love you Nathan <3
                sigpic
                5/25/09 <3

Comment

Working...
                X