Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth being nervous over this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll get 6 weeks to fly by! Instead of moping (which is the first thing you'll want to do, I know), you can switch your focus to make each phone call more special. It's more about quality of communication than quantity anyways. The same thing happened to us when he graduated from school and transitioned to working full-time.

Originally posted by SquishyLove View Post
    If he's a scientist, he's going to be busy anyway...I commend those who are patiently married or in long-term relationships with research scientists
    My SO just graduated a couple months back and is now working full-time in research. I'm in a hard science too, with the strong possibility of a research career in a couple years, but it took me a while to understand why things felt a little different in the relationship. I don't like sharing him! But I know why he does what he does and I'm proud of him

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I'm going through something similar now, my SO and I haven't spoken to each other in three weeks. He's been in another city doing training for his new job. Yes, it sucks and he's only sent me three facebook messages but you have to have faith in your relationship. Your SO will not forget about you, you won't grow distant, he'll just be a little preoccupied at the moment. Think of it like this, he's busy now in the present making sure his future his better, a future that he'll spend with you! Just give your SO the time he needs to do this and when he does call you, make the most of that phone call! I don't even get to hear my SO's voice for now and I can't even call him because it'll cost him a lot of money. Be grateful for the phone calls and look forward to your next visit and future. Keep realizing that it'll only be temporary and fill your days with something else. I hang out with my friends and work 9am-5pm five days a week, so it helps. If you don't work, just look for activities in your community or even do some volunteer work, you'll find another way to *temporarily* fill your days ! Gooood Luck!

Oh also! If your SO is anything like mine in the messages or the phone calls you get I can probably assure you he'll be saying that he misses you. In the three messages I got all of them said how much he missed me and how sad he is in that city. If you talk with your SO everyday, like I did with mine before this, then he will also feel something missing in his days, you! So be strong in your relationship and look for other things to do temporarily.

Comment

Sorry that it took me so long to reply! I actually have another new concern and I'm hoping you guys can continue to help me out...

Yep, as SquishyLove asked, he's a grad student. We've actually talked almost every day this week as opposed to our 2-3x max a week. He initiated most of the calls. What I'm concerned is his tone/attitude. He sounds very preoccupied on the phone or just kind of blah. Not his happy-go-lucky self. I initially thought that maybe he's stressed with all of the work that's going on at school and plus he's trying to find a new roommate for his apartment. That would make logical sense that he would sound tired on the phone.

HOWEVER.

I was in an LDR in the past as I've mentioned in previous posts of mine. My boyfriend at the time started sounding tired, preoccupied, disinterested on the phone. It kinda happened overnight. I chalked it up to him being stressed out at school and didn't worry about it much. Whoa was I wrong!!!! It was because he wanted to break up with me and date this other girl.

I DO NOT want that to happen again. DO NOT. I'll be so angry and disappointed in myself that I didn't learn my lesson from my previous relationship. My current bf and I have much better communication than what I had with my ex. My current bf is also more honest and blunt with his feelings. I would hope that he would tell me if he wants to break up. But I'm worried that he's not saying anything because he doesn't want to do it over the phone. He's that kind of guy.

I really want to believe that he sounds like this because he has a lot on his mind. I really do. But he's been like this the past 2 days on the phone and this is very different than how he was before. I don't know what to do. It will be a while before our next visit unfortunately. I don't know if I should bring this up or not to him.

Any advice? Thanks all, I really appreciate everyone's help here!

Comment

You guys are going to be fine! It's actually a great idea. In that time, he will miss you so much and the times you guys talk will be so exciting! You will have lots to talk about and the conversations will always be interesting! Wishing you guys the best!
          God bless! x

Comment

Working...
          X