No announcement yet.

Typing vs. Talking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both my SO and I will do everything we can to avoid talking on the phone... apart from when we're chatting to one another, haha We don't get the chance to do so as often as we'd like though, same with conversing on webcam, so we stick with IM for the most part. I don't know about my SO but I feel the same level of comfort with whatever medium we use. I like being able to communicate with him in a combination of ways, actually!

Comment

I love Skyping with him! It's our favorite way to communicate. we try to skype every evening just to tell each other about our days. it's so much easier than typing because you can talk about the details. but we do G-chat throughout the day when i'm in class and he's at work and text occasionally too. we barely ever talk on the phone...it's way more awkward and i just don't like the phone....

Comment

I totally understand! It's just easier to talk through typing.. And you can think twice about the things you say.. And I always have to think a couple of times because of the language..

But my SO isn't online that much, so we talk more on the phone.. But I wish we could switch it up more..
        \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
        \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
        \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

Ok, this is where I feel lucky. We email regularly throughout the day (free as opposed to texting) and often we get to about 100+ emails between us. Then we also talking each night on the phone for 1-2 hours. This is where I feel super lucky!! We talk pretty well both ways, although we have saved "tough" conversations for the phone because texting/emailing can be so easily misunderstood and words get misinterpreted.

This is only my first day on this site, but holy cow is this just what I needed. I see people making LDR work with far less contact than I have. I feel like I have won the golden ticket in LDR. We have made sure our cell phone plans allow for all those minutes because for me it is a lifeline. But I will be honest...(and I feel greedy saying this) I really really really really want to Skype, but he just isnt into it

Comment

I get tired of texting really fast. If I only have texts to go on I start feeling really distant. We dont really use the internet for communicating anyway so its mostly phone texts or phone calls and even though Im not a conversationalist it makes me feel better to hear his voice than get a text message

Comment

This is a very useful thread for me! My SO is not a phone person and I need time to say/type something translating my words. Also we have 8 hours time difference and both go to work. These things make more difficult to give a phone call to each other. So we often communicate with skype chatting. I have thought voice communication is better to know someone's feelings or situations more than text based communication, and I have felt frustration with the way of our communication. It is good to know some people make text based communication.

Comment

I have a hard time hearing my SO over the phone...I'm not sure if that is me, him, or my phone. I prefer Skype since I can actually watch him and see what he his saying (and see him!). I don't mind texting, but I don't like using that as a main form of communication unless it is unavoidable. I mainly use texts when he is at work or I am at class. It is nice getting a cute text once in awhile =) Sometimes when we Skype I will be sneaky and send him a quick text. It is funny to hear his phone go off, watch him read it, then watch him send one back...sometimes this results in mini text wars! =p

Comment

I much prefer talking and I actually find it really hard to text :S I literally can spend up to an hour replying to one message!

But because he works long hours everyday, we mostly text and don't get to talk too often, so i'm trying so hard to get used to it.

Having said that, I also smile like a lovesick teenager every time my SO sends a text, hearing from him makes me so happy

Comment

For a while, it was the same way for me. I just didn't know what to say on the phone, or I was too embarrassed to say something over Skype. Eventually, after him coaxing the words out of me, I finally gave in and now I literally tell him everything. Sometimes there's still a moment when I get embarrassed over what I'm going to say and then I think, "He loves me, I can tell him anything. I don't have to be embarrassed." And then I'm over it

sigpic

Comment

I love when I get a chance to see his face..but with us 9 hrs aprt its hard to find time except on the weekend. usually we end up using facebook chat to talk. I don't know what I would do without it...when he is availiable he can text me and it goes to me phone...has really helped with the communication .
                      " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
                      Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

I just have to be grateful for being really good on the phone with my SO. We do way better on the phone then via text. Texting just seems too distant (as if we weren't distant IRL enough)... I love to talk to her and we talk about just anything... We talk about past, present, amenities, future. We're also comfortable with silence...

I've always loved her voice, ever since we started talking as friends (who had secret crushes on each other).
                        My blog: A revisit of my most successful LDR. Posting the story of us in chapters.

Comment

Working...
                        X