Keeping Busy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Busy?

Some of you likely remember my thread about my SO's mother having passed away last Saturday. Since the funeral on Wednesday, things have settled down, but my partner has been requiring quite a lot of me/alone-time. Though this is completely understandable, and though I have handed him the reigns of primary contact, I can't say that I don't miss him or our conversations. I have no intentions of pushing or pressuring him into anything (I really am fine waiting until he's ready/feels fine to talk), but I won't lie and say I don't miss him a shitton. So my question to you is, how do you keep busy?

I'm trying to focus on school and my studies as best as I can - it's difficult, but I'm managing - but it's not enough, and the motivation for digging through my brain power reserve in the first place is hard to find. :/ Movies, television, and reading all seem to have the same effect: they give me too much time to think. I've made plans with a couple people next week - a study "date" and breakfast at someone's residence - and I see my therapist twice next week as well. But it seems that every time I'm alone or my mind starts to wander... Well, I end up near to tears. :/ I was absolutely miserable in my class yesterday morning but passed it off as being symptomatic of my cold. I realise that I do have to face the emotions, but I don't want to face them to the point I'm crying so regularly that it starts interfering with my everyday life. I try to concentrate on the positives, but it's difficult when your emotions tend to manifest themselves as physical symptoms (for example, I get hives when experiencing intense anxiety, and they do not go away with allergy medication but only when the anxieties are no longer present), making them hard to ignore, and perhaps I shouldn't be ignoring them, but I don't want to feel this way. It's hard, and it's effecting my participation in my day-to-day life and my performance in my classes. I'm thinking I might want to take up exercising again once the worst of the cold passes and I'm physically well enough to do so, but what do you do to keep busy if you go through a spell of time of not being able to talk to your SO?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Draw
    Write
    Watch movies
    Clean
    Spend time with friends
    Get out and go places
    Go for walks

Make something for my SO
    ( making something for him may cheer him up )

Try making some new friends at school or letting your friends know whats going on and see if they can help keep you busy for a while.
    " There is always hope.
    "

Comment

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats what i do...and I kow how it feels when your SO needs some alone time or is way too busy that you feel like you need to do other stuff to be kept busy. I try to read and do all my work...but even with midterms around the block I cant be kept busy enough...maybe what you need is to find something that is time consuming....like ummmm blogging? watching youtube videos!! going out for walks or play video games!! it has to require your concentration on that specific thing...its hard and i've been through it..and im going through that right now.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

My husband is on deployment and goes out for a week with rarely any contact. I was doing good at keeping myself busy because I have a job that demands my attention. Lately I can't go to work due to my recent shoulder surgery and I'm out for another week.

Things I do currently is sleep, watch TV, clean my house and I just got cleared to go ack to the gym. It kinda works I guess but he is constantly on my mind. Especcially with him gone and god forbid anything happen but your mind wanders to those horrible places .

I am really looking forward to getting back to work...need to get 7 more months to fly by....or pray that with the new promises that he will be home early....
        " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
        Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

Cleaning an baking are my go to things for keeping busy besides school work.
          Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

@Sharon - I'm no artist and seeing as I'm a perfectionist who tends to compare herself far too often to her sister's more prominent artistic talent, drawing/sketching isn't something I often do, but I do think I'm going to attempt to tackle NaNo this year. Even if I don't win, at the very least, it will give me something to do/focus on and it's enough of an interactive activity and also one of my passions I've fallen out of touch with. I recently entered a writing competition and it really reminded me of what I've been missing. :P

As for everything else, I live online, more or less, so spending time with friends is out, though I am trying to meet new people and will be studying with one girl (which I mentioned in my original post) so we'll see how that pans out, and same with the one on Friday. I have a dog, so getting out and walking is good. I usually go with my mother to avoid overthinking, but she's ill and is going in tomorrow for antibiotics, so it's looking like it'll be me and Summer and music until my mother is better. My room could use a good clean though... And my mother would be thrilled...

As for making something for my SO, I have a care package I will be sending, but likely not anytime soon. :/ We haven't even had much of a chance to talk this past week, barely at all these past few days, and nothing today and I doubt tomorrow, so I'm not going to be asking him for his current address anytime soon, not to mention he's not anywhere stable at the moment and I can't send it to his house due to his father.

@lovemnmz - The problem with midterms is that my mind tends to wander. I also tend to be a bit of a slacker, because I still pull off A's and occasionally B's with hardly any studying time put into it, which decreases the motivation of "working hard." However, like I said, it's been affecting my performance, this situation, so maybe I'll actually buckle down; it's not like the extra studying time would hurt...

I have been blogging, though! Keeping a couple blogs, actually. I'm keeping one blog for me, personally, and one blog for him which I will send to him when I feel the timing is right (and when he's able to get online. Currently, he doesn't even have access to a computer) which is filled with pictures and quotes and songs and little stories of my "must tell"s, so I'm already doing that and it does help. Thank you for reminding me of the YouTube videos, though; I need to get caught up on Kingsley and RWJ. :P

@rivi87 - I imagine that must be terrifying. :/ I'm sure those seven (or fewer) months will fly by, however! And I should look into my school's gym facilities. I have a 5-hour time gap between classes on Wednesdays. I could easily take that time to use the gym's washrooms to shower and change, assuming I can find some flip-flops (gotta avoid Athlete's Foot!) and assuming they have lockers in which I can keep my laptop etc., but I should look into it.

@Bethypoo - Happen to have any recipes you'd be willing to share? You said baking, so I'm assuming you don't mean cooking, but as a general rule, I don't do seafood. xD But I love rich desserts like Creme Brulee, Cheesecake, Mousse, etc. and you can't go wrong with chocolate, so do feel free to share any yummy dessert recipes.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After