X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tips for dealign with a snappy SO?

Hey everyone,
    So I know everyone gets into those funks and sometimes no matter what someone does it cant be fixed right away. I was just wondering what you guys do when your SO is in a bad mood since you cant just hug them and make it all better.

I guess Im wondering this because at the same time as I am understanding of him and give him his space I find it very disrespectful for him to snap at me when he is stressed about something like school. How do you deal with it so it doesn't escalate into an argument or get you into a funk as well.

Thanks

Take what he says with a grain on salt. If you know he's stressed and being snappy, don't take anything he says personally and wait until he's calmed down to talk about it
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I usually give a warning, something like, "I understand that you have had a horrible day and if you want to talk about it, you know that I'm here for you, but I cannot tolerate you snapping at me like that. If you would like space, I will give it to you and love you just the same when you're up to talking again." Either he wants/takes the space or he stops the snapping. If it doesn't stop, then I say I need to take a fiver/tenner/however many minutes to go take a shower or to go get some air etc. and that usually does the trick and prevents an argument.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

I can tend to be a bit snappy with my SO. And some times it has nothing to do with him. But for the most part he just has to call me on being snappy and usually it gets me to redirect what I am really mad at. But just be patient. Sometimes it just takes someone to remind them that they are having a bad attitude.
        Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

We tend to do the same things with each other.
          If one of us gets snappy, we try to let it go and let them cool off for a while unless what they said was rude or offensive, in which case we know it wasn't truly meant, but we let them know we aren't okay with it.
          Typically we will cool off, come back and apologize.
          We usually tell them "It's not okay, but I understand," since it isn't acceptable, but we understand it.
          Just be patient unless they are offensive. If they don't apologize later you might bring it up and ask them to apologize or let it go... up to you.

Comment

I have had a really bad week, last wednesday i had surgery
            friday my pastor had surgery
            sunday he died
            this past friday my dad had a heart attack
            pastors funeral was saturday

i have been so sad and angry and with it being thanksgiving break my SO was home and i was short with him and cried alot
            for me its best to just give me alittle space and be there when i needed him to....
            i apologized last night and he understood that i was going through alot of shit and i just needed space.

just do what your so needs you to when they need you to, there might be more to the anger than you realize.

Comment

Working...
            X