No announcement yet.

Religion differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SO is Jewish and I'm Catholic. His mom had to come to terms that if when we get married (down the line) it will be an interfaith wedding, but it's fine now. There's no conflict with holidays and we're both trying to learn more from each other. Idan was a bit cynical at first because when he grew up with misc Christian kids, they teased him for being Jewish so he was apprehensive and critical about my beliefs. After much, much explaining he's better now. We're both not devout or extremely religious, which contributes to the fact that it's not as big of a deal.

Comment

The hard part for us (I'm Catholic, but he doesn't practice any form of religion) is talking about the future (kids, family, etc.). I would love our kids to at least be baptized, but he's not sure about all of that kind of stuff. At least we still have a long ways off to figure stuff out!

sigpic

Comment

Its a fundamental difference, its something he will want to share with his children, and his church. It would be hard. I think you need to have a serious talk with him, no raising voices, no arguing but decide, is it really truly what is best for the two of you. Are you willing to push your beliefs aside for the wrest of your life, heres the thing, you can push it back as long as you want, but the longer it gets pushed to the side the harder it will get. Just an adult talk, where you decide, is it worth it?

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Originally posted by Manoek View Post
        My SO is a Mormon and I'm not sure what I am haha! I guess I'm an atheist if you have to label me.

Even though my SO isn't the diehard Mormon (has sex before marriage, is for gayrights, drinks alcohol etc) I still have issues with him being Mormon. I don't think issues is a right word for it though.... I just think it's difficult sometimes... I just ordered the book of Mormon (online for free, hooray for 2012) ) because I want to know what he and his family believes in, I'm sooooooo curious, but I'm not sure if reading this book is going to make things better.. because if I know what it;s about I probably have more to discuss about. And don't get me wrong I don't try to argue.. But it just happends as soon as we talk about religion.

Sometimes he tells me that he got his good morals from his upbringing, and that is great! He is great! But my mom, brother, and sister are atheist as well and we all have good morals too!! So sometimes we have discussions about that, I try to avoid it and change the subject. Yesterday I had questions about the book and I spoke to his sister. His sister explained me a couple of things because David and I know that we wil argue.. I think he get's more frustrated with me for not understanding then I have with him...

I know it's a "We cross that bridge when we get there" thing, but what if we want to have kids... how are we going to raise them? I don't know.. I sometimes wonder.. David is the guy that I want to spend the rest of my life with! Should I bring it up? Or wait for the bridge...
        my cmt was in response to this, the way it loaded on my computer it said this was the first post

Comment

@rubydissolution & keminlove... We definitely want to be together! And I think we can work this out... I guess I just have to bring it up any time soon.. Thanks everybody!

@Kristin91, Good luck to you as well

Originally posted by elizabethjp2010 View Post
          Its a fundamental difference, its something he will want to share with his children, and his church. It would be hard. I think you need to have a serious talk with him, no raising voices, no arguing but decide, is it really truly what is best for the two of you. Are you willing to push your beliefs aside for the wrest of your life, heres the thing, you can push it back as long as you want, but the longer it gets pushed to the side the harder it will get. Just an adult talk, where you decide, is it worth it?[COLOR="Silver"]
          I think I will comprimise with a lot of things.. but I'm scared that he won't.. even though he is not the extreme Mormon.. I guess the only way I find out is talk to him about it :S Thank you for your response!
          \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
          \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
          \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

Working...
          X