"Grief Survival Kit"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Grief Survival Kit"

I'm not sure where this would go, since it's not necessarily something to do with/for your SO and it's not really for a special occasion (perhaps technically, but that's a bit tactless), and I also wanted to get a general opinion on the idea...

I was considering sending a care package of sorts that more or less followed the lines of a survival kit. I want to make it clear that I would not be calling it a survival kit or sending it to him with any such impression. Don't want to border on tacky. :P But what I have for him currently is as follows:
    - A sleep shirt with my scent on it
    - A chocolate penguin
    - A penguin calendar (which I may or may not send as a calendar, not entirely sure yet)
    - A gag book on growing and styling moustaches (inside joke)
    - Some sticky slugs that you can stick on the wall, or wherever
    - A doggy Christmas ornament
    - and Leap Year, How to Train Your Dragon, and We're Back (all DVDs)

The latter three will take 6-10 days to arrive seeing as I had to order them from amazon.co.uk due to DVD regional differences, but it should give me some time to at least get everything together. The DVDs are also a part of my idea, which is more or less to include a box of things to help him through this difficult time. I was considering finding and buying him a journal that he could choose to write in, since he's been doing a lot of writing his feelings down, in addition to maybe some cute little tissues that are also extra soft. He already has the stuffed dog, but I was considering maybe making a soft fleece blanket as well. Considering he's been missing my voice so much, I was thinking of recording me reading some of my favourite children's books or possibly picking some up at the library and recording those too. And of course I would include a letter as well. Given our current status I'm not sure I want to include a photobook... I may leave that out for the time being.

I have a feeling he would love it, but I also don't want to overstep my bounds by putting something like this together, so what do you think?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

I think it's a good idea

First Met Online: October 2010
    First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
    Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
    First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
    Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
    Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
    Engaged!: June 1, 2013
    Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

I hope to find some good fabric for the blanket. I know his father is currently confiscating his dog blankets, which are some of his favourites (and mine too), so until he has access to those, I thought I'd send him a fleece blanket with dog print on it if I can find it, so we'll see... I can likely go shopping tomorrow as I'll have some extra time. I may take a look at Hallmark's recordable storybooks, too, for the storybook thing, hm.

I sent him a message on Facebook (he's hoping to have net tomorrow, YAY!) asking him if within a week or two or three I can send him his gifts. Told him there are some things I would love for him to have now but I understand if he'd rather wait, so we'll see what he says. :P
      Last edited by Haley53; November 28, 2011, 11:22 PM.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

That is such a adorable idea!
        Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

This sounds really thoughtful.

Comment

I'm glad this is being met with approval. :P I was worried it might cross a line, as I don't want to seem invasive, but I suppose that it wouldn't be invasive since I asked his permission to send him something and gave him my understanding if he decides to wait... though I'll admit I'm a bit scared/intimidated by the possibility of rejection. :/ I realise he'd have his reasons, but who wants to face up to them? Here's to hoping, and here's to hoping he actually does have internet by tomorrow, too.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

Awww Eclaire, I'm sure he would love it and appreciate everything you're gonna put inside. I don't think it's crossing the line at all. You're simply giving him some gifts and things that will comfort him in his time of need. It's a wonderful idea

Comment

If he said you could send him something then do it. Although if you are worried about it being too invasive, would the scented shirt be too personal? I think it all sounds really good though, except leap year that is a horrible movie lol

Comment

That's so sweet.

You wanna hear something funny? My SO told me that when we meet in person (in december hopefully), that I give him my panties that I will wear on that day. LOL. I was like O_O at first but I think he's serious about it. hahaha
                  sigpic
                  Nobody knows who I really am
                  Maybe they just don't give a damn
                  But if I ever need someone to come along
                  I know you would follow me, and keep me strong

Comment

Haha, that amuses me annb. :P

And snow_girl, I considered that, but he's told me he still wants it so I figured I would still send it. And pfft, shame on you. I loved Leap Year. :P He hasn't seen it yet. Reason I'm sending it is because it's my favourite ever romantic movie. It's about 50/50 he'll like it too though; my mother loved it and I'm noticing a trend, that it's one of those movies you either love or hate, rarely somewhere in the middle.

I haven't heard from him but he's not on MSN either nor has he shown any sign of being online. :/ I hope he's asleep and there's nothing wrong with the internet.
                    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                    to be continued...

Comment

You're such a sweetheart Eclaire. Im sure he will be surprised and enjoys the thoughtful gifts.

Comment

this is lovely, I think it will def cheer him up!
                        our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Well I've gotten his permission to send him a present.

I'm thinking I'm going to get his brother something too, since it's him and his brother. I'd feel weird sending a huge gift for one person (even if part of it is due to his birthday) leaving the only other one out, and his brother is also having an extremely rough time, so I think I'm going to get him some chocolates from the same place I got the chocolate penguin. They have practically everything so I may get him an assortment of small things... Can't really go wrong with chocolate and I'm not sure what else he'd like.
                          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                          to be continued...

Comment

That sounds like a wonderful gift! I don't think it is crossing any bounds at all. Are those his favorite movies? Perhaps yall can watch em together via skype during one of your dates.

Comment

Nope. We were going to watch Leap Year together, because we watched Music & Lyrics - his favourite romantic comedy - together, but never got the chance. He hasn't seen the other two, We're Back being a childhood favourite for me and How to Train Your Dragon being one I absolutely love. I wanted to send him a couple children's movies because whenever I'm upset, no matter how upset I am, I usually put on a kid's movie before bed, and I figured I'd send Leap Year for sentimental value.

Though Amazon is saying the estimated arrival date is the 20th. I know I ordered it from the UK but I hope they're joking... That's like three weeks.

EDIT -- Also, we've never actually watched anything together via Skype. First time for everything. :P
                              Last edited by Haley53; November 29, 2011, 07:34 PM.
                              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                              to be continued...

Comment

Working...
                              X