Am I overreacting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I overreacting?

I would first off like to say thank you to all the wonderful people who took the time to respond to my last post and provide me with all the encouraging support! After semi getting settled into a college routine, I have noticed that over the past week or so my boyfriend has stopped texting me significanty, like for example a lot of the times when I try to talk to him he just gives me one word answers, and wont try to continue on the conversation. We dont really talk on the phone nor do we face time (I have horrible wifi signal in my dorm) and this is really making me nervous. I am confident in our relationship but of course cant seem to rid my my mind of the thought that he has met someone else.

Am I over reacting or is there something that is seriously starting to go wrong with our relationship, because the thing I feared most is starting to happen...

I think that you are overreacting and you really shouldn't worry about texting. I, personally, hate texting conversations and think it's only useful for quick, informative type texts. Of course, there are people who love communicating by text all day long and more power to 'em! But maybe your guy just isn't into it. Or maybe he was into it but now that he is busy living his new college life, he doesn't want that type of communication.
    Talk to him about it and see if it would be a better idea to have a set time everyday or a few times a week where you all can concentrate on each other for 30 minutes rather than have these little fragmented conversations.

Comment

If he has also been getting settled, my guess would be you're overreacting. College can be a big change for some people, and if you've only recently gotten settled yourself, it could be that he, too, is getting settled still or that he simply is enjoying being a student. It can take some time to get into the routine of things when a big change like this happens. It took close to a month for me to balance school, work, and my SO when I started working 20 hour work weeks. I would say try and cool the jets on thinking he's met someone, breathe and remind yourself he's going through this change also (when you start feeling insecure), and ride it out. My guess would be even if texting may not always be constant, you'll settle into a routine once you've both gotten used to being students and far away from each other.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

Yea I suppose I am freaking out! Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Littlelauren View Post
          I would first off like to say thank you to all the wonderful people who took the time to respond to my last post and provide me with all the encouraging support! After semi getting settled into a college routine, I have noticed that over the past week or so my boyfriend has stopped texting me significanty, like for example a lot of the times when I try to talk to him he just gives me one word answers, and wont try to continue on the conversation. We dont really talk on the phone nor do we face time (I have horrible wifi signal in my dorm) and this is really making me nervous. I am confident in our relationship but of course cant seem to rid my my mind of the thought that he has met someone else.

Am I over reacting or is there something that is seriously starting to go wrong with our relationship, because the thing I feared most is starting to happen...
          Not even kidding, I am going through the EXACT SAME THING! I try to ease my mind and I can for a little while, but then I get scared he's going to end it. I haven't had a decent text conversation since Sunday with him. I'm giving him some space to get settled, but it's hard because I miss him and I suffer from anxiety, so this doesn't help. I am sure he hasn't met anyone. I think both of us are overreacting. PM me if you want! We can both reassure each other it will be fine! Hang in there, it'll get better. I am sure of it.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

I agree with the posters above. I'm not a big texter anyway but you can't expect the same amount of contact when you're long distance. Fact is that you both have separate lives, and thus, separate schedules. That makes decent conversations throughout the day difficult. It doesn't mean he doesn't care anymore. Maybe try and work out a new communication routine for now?
            Don't give up so easily and try not to worry too much about it. It'll be fine *hugs*

Comment

i would say overreacting...unless he gives you a reason to think otherwise...maybe he is busy too...hence the one word answers...i would talk with him...tell him your feelings...that you want more time with him...

Comment

I think you're overreacting, but it's totally normal to think this way. Ever since my SO started college, I didn't want to burden him with unnecessary texts. Why? I had to think about the time difference and all that. If he doesn't give you a clear reason to doubt your bond with him, don't give it a second thought. I mean he entered this LDR with you didn't he? Surely that shows he's willing to try, and ultimately wants to make it work. So take some deep breaths and reevaluate your trust in him. I'm sure nothing's up, you'll be fine!!!

Best of Luck! ~ <3

Comment

I think he is just getting settled into his new college life, I wouldn't worry about it!

Comment

I wouldn't say one way or the other on "Overreacting: y/n?" Your reaction and feelings are what they are, and I'm not one to judge whether or not you should have them.

My advice, rather, is to send texts that don't require one-word answers. It does take a conscious decision (even the prompt for this thread could have a one-word, yes/no answer!), and it happens to all of us. We can all remember times when we're trying to perpetuate conversation because we care about the other person, and our partner just doesn't have much to say in response but the basic answer to the basic questions: yes or no. Their answer is not necessarily a reflection of us or our relationship to them, but the questions that we are asking.

Another bit of advice: In your texts, ask when he can take a call. That way, you're not demanding his time immediately the way just calling him right then and there would, but you're not getting caught up in waiting for one-word texts, either. Good luck in bridging the communication gap! I'm stuck in a similar rut, myself. :\

Comment

You have to learn to relax with it sometimes. I had to learn to reduce the amount I text even though I feel inclined to text him every spare second. He just doesn't feel as inclined. I'm on his mind, but he dislikes communication through electronic means to the point that he would even put off talking about some important things (with my permission) until our next visit. But he also understood my need enough to send me more texts, even if they were just smiley faces and to talk to me whenever I called as long as he was able.
                      Be patient, talk to him about it. You two will learn to meet halfway.

Comment

Working...
                      X