American College requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American College requirements?

Hi, so my SO lives in America and I live in Canada and he never graduated high school due to a lot of personal things going on, but he's wicked smart. Anyways, to get a visa you pretty much have to have some sort of college education, and I was wondering what the requirements are to get into even community colleges (specifically in the Tampa area if possible) in the states? I know here you DONT need a high school diploma if you're over 21 but I'm not sure how it works everywhere else. If anyone knows where I can find this kind of information I'd be super grateful!

As far as I know to get into a community college all he needs is a high school diploma or the equivalent a GED, all it is is a multitude of tests on basic high school subjects like English, Math, and Social Studies etc. which can be taken by anyone at any time. For a university he needs a certain score on his SAT's and ACT's which are set by the college he would be applying to, a certain high school GPA usually around 3.0 and a high school diploma or GED.

Here's a website for GED information https://www.gedtestingservice.com/te...est-taker-home

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I'm assuming going back to high school is not an option?

In that case, he would likely get a GED and go on to a community college, where, after two years (assuming he's in relatively good standing), he'd be guaranteed a spot in university as a transfer student. However, I imagine that the laws vary depending on the state. I'm not sure if Florida's university/community college system operates in the same way.

I would recommend he check into any local community colleges, as that's typically where they offer GED programs/courses. I believe you can go straight to taking the tests, but there are also course options if he wants to sit and study for the GED in addition to refreshing his memory as far as the material. Depends on how confident he feels. But my guess would be he can go from there to complete some college at a community college and either go for an AA/AS degree or transfer to a university for his BA/BA.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

Sora's advice is spot on.

For specifically the Tampa area, he should look into Hillsborough Community College. They have the steps for applying here: https://www.hccfl.edu/ssem/steps-for-enrollment.aspx. They offer a variety of degree programs.

Since Tampa is such a large city, there are many options. There's the University of South Florida (big public university), University of Tampa (private university), Hillsborough Community College (which has 8 campuses), and a variety of career colleges. I'm sure he will find one that's perfect for him!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
        Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
        Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
        Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
        Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Working...
        X