Help! His college or one for myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
    The other issue too is depending on if you pursue higher education than an AA/BA, you're going to want to look at the school from that standpoint as well. If it's a community college and it'll guarantee you a transfer into university, that's not so bad, but if it's a university, then if you're ever going to consider grad school, it's important to think about how the school is going to be perceived by a graduate school. That easy A is going to be held in less regard than if you go to a school where you're academically challenged and actually working in an environment you're more adapted for. It can be hard to think about when you aren't even sure what you want to study, but in today's day and age, it's taking more than a BA to secure even a minimum wage job. While the economy is slowly getting better, it's still important to think about your future, both individually and as a couple, and on if you have goals to pursue an MA/PhD.
    This also! Research into his school as well, see how it ranks and if it offers any vocational work opportunities.

Comment

thats just it. Is it worth spending the money on a college when i dont even know what i wanna study? Or should i pick the cheaper college because i dont know where ill end up? dispite the boyfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by Renee.ann0011 View Post
        thats just it. Is it worth spending the money on a college when i dont even know what i wanna study? Or should i pick the cheaper college because i dont know where ill end up? dispite the boyfriend.
        If that is so, take a gap year and figure out where you want to go with yourself in life.

Comment

I know a lot of people who went into college not knowing what they wanted to do and figured it out because of an incredible professor or an awesome GE. You aren't going to get that, necessarily, at a college where everything's a bit "dumbed down" as you've been putting it. Bad professors are everywhere, as are bad courses, but the better school you look into, the more likely you're going to be met with engaging and challenging material that force you to think out of the box and expand your world views. If you go to a cheaper college with less academic potential, you may end up boxing yourself in and ultimately having less of a direction because you never challenged yourself to step out of your comfort zone. I should also note that most people change their major even after they declare it or propose it. I am the only person I have run into who has not changed her major since starting college, so it's not uncommon that people are not sure what they want to do, or they think they want to do x and end up doing a, b, or c. Personally, while it can be hard to put aside, I would think less about which one is cheaper and more about what colleges offer you the best opportunities but are also affordable. Financial aid options are also available and of course there's always student loans; you could also think about the work-study program or applying for grants/scholarships. I would try not to let money be too much of a factor because if you go to a cheap school because it's cheap, it may inhibit you later in life, plus you will not find it challenging or, in my opinion, academically fulfilling/rewarding. I'm bored out of my mind in classes that are not engaging or don't challenge me and I often end up doing worse because I'm bored.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
          Met online: February 2009
          Feelings confessed: December 2010
          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

Go to the best school that you can. Ignore your SO and Volleyball.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
              Go to the best school that you can. Ignore your SO and Volleyball.
              I feel like this is a repeat of half the responses on the thread, but this ^ sums up my verbose response.
              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
              Met online: February 2009
              Feelings confessed: December 2010
              Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
              Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
              First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
              Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
              Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
              Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
              to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                I feel like this is a repeat of half the responses on the thread, but this ^ sums up my verbose response.
                I feel like I have repeated myself three times already .

Renee.ann0011, you seem like you want to study. Go to a school where you can get the best education. If you and your SO are meant to be, you will have the rest of your life to be together.

Comment

I whole-heartedly agree with Tooki and Eclaire. Don't settle. If you can achieve greater, do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                    Ask yourself this: Would you go to the school if you weren't with your SO?

If yes, then definitely look into going there. If not, don't do it.
                    Never do something because it is seemingly the esiest choice. Yes, going to the same college would make it easier on your relationship and you can be together and go together. We all like to think that everything will work out, and im sure it will, but you also have to be realistic. If you break up- will you still be happy at that school? If the answer is "no, with out them I wouldnt want to be there." Then dont go. You may have to spend more time apart, but if you are meant to be together, you will make it. You just make have to take the long way on this one.
                    Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Knowing how I am any smaller school where i am playing volleyball at i will be more than happy at but this is absolutly eating away at me. When he picked his school we where so young in our relationship I wasnt a factor but now he is asking me to factor in him and I dont feel it to be totally fair.
                      You basically answer your own question here... if you know you'd be happy at a smaller school than the one he goes to, then go to a smaller school. Also, you should tell him how you feel (the bolded part above).

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X