Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling incredibly lost and confused about my LDR (Long post, but please read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling incredibly lost and confused about my LDR (Long post, but please read)

So I've been in an LDR for over 3 years now, or at least I was...

This past summer, we were both home from college and her parents actually allowed me to live with them (my mom's house was full since my sister, brother in law, and nephew were living there while purchasing a new house for themselves). Overall, I think it was a pretty good summer. We got to see each other every day and sleep in each other's arms every night. However, problems really started to arise when I couldn't read her as well as I thought I could. I was often trying to balance work, my own family, and my other commitments with my relationship. And because I often had to drop whatever I was doing with her to go and help my family, she would get upset and disappointed with me. This happened multiple times over the summer, but we were able to make up and talk about it.

Then, the night before she left, we stayed up and talked in bed. She was having a fight with her parents because a lot of her focus and attention during the summer was on us rather than her parents and her little sister. We stayed up for about an hour or so, just listening to her vent and giving my 2 cents on occasion. Little did we know that her mother was standing outside her bedroom door listening to the entire thing.

The next morning, her father gave us a very grim look. Her mother was still asleep from crying all night. The entire car ride to the airport was spent with him talking to us about how much we hurt them and how ungrateful we have been. We circled the airport parking lot many times, as she cried the whole time. I felt helpless as we finally said our goodbyes. On the car ride back, I was able to talk to her father one on one, telling him that I was sorry for the things I had said. We talked for a while, and eventually I left his house after thanking him for his hospitality and taking me in, not even seeing my girlfriend's mother.

This is where the problems really started. For about 2 weeks, I didn't really talk to my girlfriend much. I figured she wanted some space to figure things out with her family. Plus, she was just starting her 2nd year of college and moving into a new apartment with her friends. But man, did I get it all wrong. My girlfriend has a tendency to retreat into herself and build up a wall whenever something's wrong. And it's become more and more obvious that not only am I really bad at breaking down her wall, but I am also really bad at reading when something is wrong. Because of all this, when we finally did talk to each other, she was very angry with me (and she had a right to be). We went from not talking at all (or very empty texts) to angry conversations/fights multiple times until about a month and a half ago.

At that time, we decided the best thing we could do for our relationship and for each other is to "start over", giving each other a week or so to recollect ourselves and then trying to court again. At first, things were okay, and I felt that this was a good idea.

But this has been tearing me apart for 2 months; emotionally, mentally, and even physically. I understand that she needs room to grow (I was her first real boyfriend, and I can see how that can be limiting in a college environment; especially a LDR) and I need to learn my lesson. But I've been under so much pain and stress ever since. Whenever we do talk, she talks about how much fun she is having over there, and I often have to lie and say everything is hunky dory over here.

The reason I'm feeling incredibly lost and confused is because I really don't know what is going to happen to us. We agreed that we would still be exclusive while "starting over", but that she would not have to tell me everything she does with other people (unless it was sexual). Also, she said that right now she still loves me, but she doesn't know how she feels about me, about us. And she probably won't until we see each other again over winter break.

I recognize the wrongs I've done, and I'm learning more about myself and am growing as a person and a man throughout this period. But still, I can't stop thinking about her. I've taken all her pictures down and everything that reminds me of her is out of sight, but she's still on my mind every single damn day. My heart is torn and I don't know what I should be doing to help our relationship. On the one hand, if I put more effort into courting her again, and she isn't receptive of it, then I would be broken hearted. But if I just sit back, then she may lose interest and then it may really be over. I really don't know what to do, and I honestly don't know if my heart can take this uncertainty for 2 1/2 more months...

Ok so please clarify. What is it exactly, you've done wrong? You said you're bad at breaking down her walls, but what does this mean? What did she expect of you that you didn't do?

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

The only thing I can say is be honest with her.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dezface View Post
        Ok so please clarify. What is it exactly, you've done wrong? You said you're bad at breaking down her walls, but what does this mean? What did she expect of you that you didn't do?
        This. I don't really understand what it is she's angry at you for?

Comment

I feel really sorry for you.

I know at times when I've been talking to my SO online, I've tried to balance family and friend issues and so would have to say sorry but I have to help my mom/dad/sister/visit with my friend now and of course he doesn't like that because he wants to talk to me all the time, as I want to talk to him all the time, but we talk about it and then it's okay after. It would become more of an issue if I did it all the time without caring about his feelings, but I wouldn't do it all the time because I want to talk to him most if not all of that time! lol So I understand about making compromises, and even feel I understand her side where she has to deal with family feeling abandoned.. its like you both have families who need you but you reacted differently and now are hurting by it.. it should not cause hurt, you should be able to both explain your sides, because from where I'm reading your views, I don't think any of you did anything wrong and shouldn't be mad at each other. I think it's your families that were not understanding enough of the fact that you would like to spend time together when you are together. It's a common thing with family I think, even my SO's dad gets that way sometimes, though he's had a traumatic past (also my SO has too, family issues) and so gets into moods sometimes and sometimes he comments on how we maybe ignore him at times though I think he's mostly understanding that we need time together. I think though that this is a family thing and shouldn't be driving you two apart.

I really think though that you should be able to talk with her, and hopefully be able to explain why you both are hurt, and hopefully can heal together and be able to learn how to deal with the family situations.. maybe you can try to talk with your family how you need to spend more time with your girlfriend when you are together, and she could talk to her parents and say sorry I will try and talk to you more but when my boyfriend is here, it's pretty obvious I want to spend time with him. Hopefully you can make some time when the two of you can hang out with either side of your family..

I hope you figure it out. Good luck

Comment

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this.
            I know it can be difficult my LDR has been about two years now, but we constantly fight mostly over family. Mine doesn't approve. I am not sure exactly what she is upset over, but from a girl's standpoint not talking to her much for a period of time whether it be one day or two weeks, seemingly minour, triggers worry and anger. When my SO does not text back or we have a slow week in talking I get extremely worried and I put my guard up immediately, and he has to work ten times harder each time to tear it down and talk to me. WE eventually get back to normal, but it is much harder and can place doubts in both of our minds and hearts. I am glad you are happy for her in the sense that she is enjoying college, but my SO is the same for me and i know not everything is "alright" with him sometimes. It all comes down to honesty and communication. It is so difficult to find proper time to put aside for it, but if you BOTH truly care then you will find it. Another thing is you are both human, you will make mistakes. it happens, but you can't let it discourage you. I told someone this before as well, but you are number one and it is painful to read that you are being consumed by this one thing in your life. I know you have heard it before, but life is too short. YOU need to be happy and true to yourself before you can make anyone else happy.

Goodluck dear <3 it will be ok! no worries

Comment

I am sorry, but the fact that she went directly from being miserable to enjoying herself a lot without you is not a good sign. But unless you are some sort of superhuman you can not read her all the time.You can, however, talk with her. Right now it seems she is distsancing herself and you accept that by not wanting to know details of her daily life.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Just be honest to her, tell her the real feelings about her, and give her room to think about the relationship. If love is still there, everything would be figured out, yet if love is gone, then it's no use crying over spilt milk. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X