I'm doing alright!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm doing alright!

I'm new to this forum and new to an LDR, but I think I might have a concept here!

I've been with my beautiful girlfriend for 15 months, but just over a month ago I had to move 300 miles away from her (temporarily) while at University in Brighton, East Sussex. She's staying behind in Newquay, Cornwall to work for her family business for a year before heading off to Uni herself next year. Whichever Uni she goes to, she will be closer than she currently is to me, which is pretty good.

And though every time we part ourselves it's massively heart-wrenching (I usually end up crying more than she does!) I feel it's just about tolerable. I think that while the distance does curtail intimacy and physical closeness, it allows us to grow separately as people. I've been going to the gym a lot and reading up on my Journalism, and she might be doing a 2 week expedition to Kenya to further herself too. I'm not saying in any way that being together prevents self-improvement, but by growing as people separately for a while, but not away from one another, it can only be a good thing, providing a stable base (Job security, finances) for our future. That was the concept bit

Self improvement is a great way to keep busy, too, which as many of us know is a good way to forget about the distance. We text each other a few times a day, and usually make time for Facebook chat or Skype. I went home last weekend for a few days and had a lovely time with her, and then she came up to mine for a day and a half. We're planning to see each other in another 4 weeks or so.

I have every intention of one day marrying my girlfriend, Iona, and with that passion and belief in the relationship, which the both of us share , I don't see any reason why this relationship can't work! I've made a vow that as soon as my three years at Uni are over, I'm going to live with her, regardless of whether she's still at Uni <3

This is my first post so I guess I'm saying most of this mostly as a way to introduce myself, as well as the comforting notion of sharing my emotional burden with people in a similar situation. Let me know if you think I'm doing things right, but as my title suggests, I think it's going well!

Congrats! I feel similarly about the success of my LDR. 4 of our 6 months together have been spent apart and as much as it would be nice to be in the same city, being able to develop my own life in college independent of him, has been invaluable.

Because about a month into our relationship he had to leave, we've had to connect through our conversations as opposed to our physical closeness which is a refreshing change from some of my previous relationships which revolved more around physical intimacy than emotional intimacy. The connection our LDR has encouraged through just our conversations has brought us so much closer than a close distance relationship.

The other advantage, I think, to a long distance relationship at our age is that it gives some legitimacy to the relationship, at least to the two people involved. When you get into a LDR, there is an implied end to the distance and you automatically dicide you will last at least that long. For my SO and me, we now automatically are striving for at least a four year relationship that will last at least until we live in the same city again. I don't think most first year college students are thinking along those lines and I love that I can get excited about possibly living with my SO in four years without freaking him out. It's exciting to at least have that long term plan to be excited about post graduation and it also makes me think about our connection in the long term and what it means for us now. I think that is super healthy.

I wish you continued success with your LDR and that it stays fulfilling and freeing!

Comment

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have a strong relationship.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I also second RED148: I wish you good times with your LDR!

Comment

Good luck, that is awesome! Stay strong and keep going as you are even if troubles do arise, and you'll do just fine. I wish you all the luck in your LDR. It is easier when you are able to visit more often.. and you won't have the barriers of immigration which is awesome! And UK uni is only 3 years good luck!

Comment

Glad to know you're doing great! Just keep at that positive attitude, it will help your GF out as well. I also started off LD in college and while it had its ups and downs, never has there been a day when I thought it would not be worth it in the end.

Comment

Yes, you are doing quite right! As long as you have the strong determination, I believe you will have a strong relationship and happiness!

Comment

Working...
            X