What to do with a new crush in an LDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a new crush in an LDR?

My boyfriend and I have been in an LDR for 6 months now, and he is flying to the other side of the world in a couple weeks to see me for our 1-year anniversary (we met during study abroad). When we were together, we couldn’t have been crazier for each other, and it killed us when we had to separate at the end of the school year. I am about to graduate from college in the spring, and he will still be in school. Our LDR has been tough, and we’ve had some very low points, but we’ve always toughed it out and worked on our relationship together. He is the most understanding, sweet guy I have ever met.

However, things have been harder since I met a new guy in a school group. What we are studying and interested in are almost exactly the same (which is very rare, and my boyfriend and I have different study fields), and he has a great sense of humor. When I’m with him (which isn’t often, but often enough), I feel happy and have so much fun, which brought upon a huge problem: every time I’m with him, I want to be with him romantically. And these feelings are replacing those for my current boyfriend. I am sure my current boyfriend has features that this new guy doesn’t, and vice versa. I also know I can’t just change people. I’m wondering if I just want to try dating another person out of interest and the excitement from it. I know I’m still young and there are “plenty of fish in the sea,” but a part of me feels like if I broke up with my boyfriend, I might regret it.

On top of that, it’s not like the other guy wants to date me, and even if I did break up with my LDR boyfriend eventually, the new guy and I are both the same age and graduating in a few months, and then going who-knows-where, so that might just put me in this exact same situation with my current boyfriend down the road, and odds are nothing will come of this new guy specifically. I think I love my current boyfriend (I definitely loved him before, but now I’m a bit uncomfortable saying it with the current situation), and even just a few days ago, I was so happy being with him. Then I spent a few hours with the new guy at a party, and here I am writing this.

I am uncomfortable just feeling like I’m staying with a guy because I might regret breaking up later, and partially out of fear that I would never find someone as good as him, but just the fact that I’m having such strong connections and feelings for a new guy make me so uncomfortable. Even if I’d be happier with my current boyfriend, I feel like now there’s something missing from his personality that the new guy has, and that realization is what’s making me uncomfortable with my current boyfriend. It’s not something anyone has done, just I’ve realized a quality about someone that I realized that I want and now feel less happy without. As I said, I know I can’t change people, but this feeling and realization is scary, especially since it is emotional, not physical.

We’ve been able to talk to each other about almost everything in our relationship, but this is one thing I don’t think I can talk to him about now. I know I probably won’t know how I feel for sure until I am physically with him again for a few weeks, and maybe I’ll remember how happy I was before with him, but what if I constantly feel like this, even when he comes to visit me? What if it worsens? We’d both been looking forward to this, and he’s paying so much money to fly here; I would feel like the worst person in the world if I couldn’t have my original feelings for him.

Whereas I used to be so excited for him to come, even just a few days ago, now I’m scared of my own feelings. I don’t want to throw him away, but I feel tied down emotionally. What should I do?

This was how I felt with my ex constantly. When we were together I was really happy and I knew this relationship was great, but when we weren't, there were people I actually liked better or could imagine being with. I never told him that I was not happy when we were not together and so we fought through 4 years together until we finally closed the distance and realized that living together did not make it any better and finally we broke up and I found the courage to be with this person that I liked better and could imagine being with.

If I could go back in time, I'd definitely tell him about it. I feel like you owe it to your boyfriend to let him know that you are not as in love with him as you were, especially when you don't even want to say that you love him.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

This is one of the hardest things about being in a LDR... Sometimes, there is overwhelming loneliness. And then here comes someone that makes the grass look greener on the other side, and he is right in front of you.. I definitely think you should wait for your visit before you make any permanent decisions that could change the rest of your life.. I am recommending this from experience.. See him, then see how you feel.. If its no longer there, you will know for sure,and then you have an obligation to tell him.. Good luck, and blessings..

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
        I feel like you owe it to your boyfriend to let him know that you are not as in love with him as you were, especially when you don't even want to say that you love him.
        I definitely agree with this, you owe it to him to tell him how you feel about him and the relationship, it would be hurtful to continue a relationship knowing you no longer have feelings for him or the relationship. However, I can also see where you're coming from. In the early stages of my relationship, there was still someone I wanted to be with romantically, after knowing him for years it was hard to be falling in love with my current boyfriend but still have feelings for this other guy. Eventually the feelings for the other guy went away when I realized I loved my current boyfriend. Is it possible that it's the excitement of being with someone in person and more accessible that is drawing you to this new guy? I know there are times where I'm slightly "jealous" of CDR's and I've had moments of "wow being with this guy sitting next to me right now would be AMAZING" and I have felt myself pick out the things that the guy next to me can offer that my boyfriend can't... but at the end of the day I've never been happier than I am in my current relationship and I realize it's only my fantasy of wanting a CDR that is making me think about this other guy and there really was never, and never would there be, any type of feelings.

I think it's okay to be confused/afraid of your own feelings in any relationship, but if he's spending a lot of money to come see you, then you definitely need to talk to him about how you're feeling and make a decision if he should still come see you or not and what you want to do with the relationship.

Either way I wish you two the best!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnMarie Green View Post
          And then here comes someone that makes the grass look greener on the other side, and he is right in front of you..
          Yes, I feel like more than anything, this is how I feel. I definitely do want him to still come, and I do want to see him, I'm just afraid of things not being perfect for him. Maybe if it continues while he's still here and it becomes a real serious problem, I'll bring it up with him then, but until then, just wait and see how things go, and if it's just a phase.

Comment

From the Experience I had with previous relatinship... If you can't pick up a one trait that makes your SO unchangeable... It's not going to last, because there always will be someone more interesting/understanding/closer/better etc. Being in relatinship just because you don't want to break up and change the status quo and not because you want to be with THAT PARTICULAR PERSON is not fair to your SO and yourself.

I'd say talk to him, tell him how you feel. But I also say talk to yourself. Think long and hard just why you are with your current SO, why you're thinking about your new friend romantically and so on.

Summing it up, if you ave any problems choosing between guys/girls you want to date, you shouldn't choose any of them. You CAN decide to be with one of them but then you will have to remind youself again and again why you are in this relationship.
            “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
            ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
            Closed the distance >21.03.2015
            sigpic

Comment

I have a hard time responding to this because I am one for 100% honesty. On the other hand - I understand the loneliness and the need to want to be with someone who is within arms reach sometimes. I think it's time for some soul searching. Truly think about why you are with your current boyfriend to begin with. You've made the choice to be with someone far away for one reason or another and that's a big decision to make. A true test on your self control and commitment. He must be awfully special for you to take such a decision in the past - reflect on that. Think about him as if he were only inches away...would you still be having feelings for this other guy? If the only thing that is appealing about this other man is that he's within arms reach, then I would just wait until after the visit and see exactly how you feel. If you think you'd still be interested in this other guy even with your bf as a CDR, you should talk to him about it after you talk to yourself about it. Good luck!
              "I ran to him. I dropped my luggage and ran to him. My heart melted in my chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel him. I could kiss him. I could smell him. He was real. He was here. He is mine."

He could be a million miles away...and still be worth every single mile <3

We met in 2012
              We became a couple in April 2014
              Our lips first met August 8, 2014
              Our beautiful 2nd visit was November 2014
              Hoping to visit again for a New Years kiss
              We'll spend my birthday and Valentines day in each other's arms <3 - Feb 2015
              Our "spring break" in March 2015
              Summer fun - June 2015
              DISNEY WORLD!!! Sept 2015

LOVE > DISTANCE
              QUALITY > CONVENIENCE

Comment

Originally posted by aniay View Post
                From the Experience I had with previous relatinship... If you can't pick up a one trait that makes your SO unchangeable... It's not going to last, because there always will be someone more interesting/understanding/closer/better etc. Being in relatinship just because you don't want to break up and change the status quo and not because you want to be with THAT PARTICULAR PERSON is not fair to your SO and yourself.

I'd say talk to him, tell him how you feel. But I also say talk to yourself. Think long and hard just why you are with your current SO, why you're thinking about your new friend romantically and so on.

Summing it up, if you ave any problems choosing between guys/girls you want to date, you shouldn't choose any of them. You CAN decide to be with one of them but then you will have to remind youself again and again why you are in this relationship.
                Ha! I read your response after I typed mine and we both said "talk to yourself"
                "I ran to him. I dropped my luggage and ran to him. My heart melted in my chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel him. I could kiss him. I could smell him. He was real. He was here. He is mine."

He could be a million miles away...and still be worth every single mile <3

We met in 2012
                We became a couple in April 2014
                Our lips first met August 8, 2014
                Our beautiful 2nd visit was November 2014
                Hoping to visit again for a New Years kiss
                We'll spend my birthday and Valentines day in each other's arms <3 - Feb 2015
                Our "spring break" in March 2015
                Summer fun - June 2015
                DISNEY WORLD!!! Sept 2015

LOVE > DISTANCE
                QUALITY > CONVENIENCE

Comment

I say wait! Wait until you see your BF. GIVE HIM A CHANCE. you said the new guy isn't even interested. Don't throw away what you have. I am sure it's because you are lonely. Long distance is so hard. But worth it if you were meant to be together. See him again. Make your decision AFTER HE LEAVES. I can't tell you how man
                  Y times I wanted to throw in the towel....until we were together again and I realized all the reasons he is perfect for me.
                  sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Working...
                  X