Credit cards with miles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit cards with miles.

Right now I have a student credit card from my bank that I never use, I use my debit card for everything. However I think I should get a credit card that will earn me miles since I and my SO will be flying probably twice a year until June 2014. The airline I will be using to see him is United I believe, and he uses British Airways. Any advice/experiences?

All I know is that I've had a credit card since I was 18 (7 years) and for all my points the most I can redeem in travel is $200 and the stipulation is that I have to fly short haul meaning only to a province or state that is next to mine. So unless you are going to put absolutely everything on your credit card and spend A LOT, I don't think it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
      All I know is that I've had a credit card since I was 18 (7 years) and for all my points the most I can redeem in travel is $200 and the stipulation is that I have to fly short haul meaning only to a province or state that is next to mine. So unless you are going to put absolutely everything on your credit card and spend A LOT, I don't think it's worth it.
      I agree with this. My grandfather has an AmEx and has used points off that, but he uses it wherever he can (though the card is limited. It's a pretentious card) so it's easy for him to gain miles. I have an AmEx that I have used for school and to pay my phone bill for a while, and I used it on one trip abroad as was his allowance to me, and even then, I'm not sure I can redeem them for even a domestic flight. So snow_girl does not lie when she says you need to spend a LOT. To me, it wouldn't be worth it, but I suppose it comes down to how much you'd be spending on the card.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

When I'm on flights the flight attendants always pass out credit cards for their airlines, unfortunately, there's a yearly fee. So I've never signed up for one. That and I can't get approved since I have no credit...

Anyways, I was no help!

Comment

That's helpful info, thank you! I don't think I would use it very often, the reason I don't use the cc I already have is I don't want to get sucked into it.

Comment

Originally posted by C.M. View Post
            That's helpful info, thank you! I don't think I would use it very often, the reason I don't use the cc I already have is I don't want to get sucked into it.
            There's nothing wrong with having a credit card (it's good to build credit) if you can pay it. My grandfather helped me out for a while, and then I got my own and am now responsible for all of my paid expenses, but I don't spend money on my card if I don't have it, or if I'm not going to have it by the time the payment is due. They can be a nice thing to have if you use them properly, and don't spend frivolously expecting that you can get away with paying minimum payments, which you always want to pay more than.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

Check with your airline, and see if they offer a "loyalty" scheme. I do that with Delta airlines - i'm always happy with the service i get on their flights, and they are usually one of the cheapest options. So i signed up for free to they lotalty scheme and earn miles as i fly with them

they also email with special offers and other places i can earn miles - i'm sure other airlines do the same
              ~McNab

My Story
              Met first time (in person) October 2011
              Unofficially together since November 2011
              Officially together February 2012
              First visit (me to her): 25 Feb 2012 - 22 March 2012
              First visit (her to me): 28 Dec 2012 - 11 Jan 2013
              Broke up January 2014
              Got back together June 2016

Comment

I have a credit card which earns me miles on it and have used it several times to redeem for tickets. My airline has partner airlines and basically depending where I go, may have to use more miles to get a ticket but they don't restrict the value or anything. My credit card also gives me a buddy pass every year so basically for $75.00 my companion can go ANYWHERE with me on a flight which is awesome for vacations.

Comment

I have a CIBC Aerogold Visa. I had (and I think there still is) a 15000 miles sign-up bonus. This card has an annual fee of $150 or 250 dollars, but I think it is worth it. You get 1 aeroplan mile for every dollar you spend on the credit card, plus 1.5 miles for every dollar you spend at select stores (Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobeys, Esso etc). I have 47 000 aeroplan miles now, enough to fly from Canada to Hawaii. I have had this card for just a few months but it is definitely worth it; I have had an aeroplan points card since 2009 and had accumulated 25 000 or so points on it before I got my credit card.
                  Last edited by Laura0624; August 19, 2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I just got the BMI credit card. Itgives 20000 airmiles when you spend £250 in the first three months. My flight to Miami is 25000 airmiles, so it's only £90 to buy the extra miles (then airport taxes on top). After that it seems you would have to spend an obscene amount of money to get useable points... For now roll on December when I fly again for less than half what I paid last time

Comment

There is a really good thread in the British Expat Forum on this subject. It's under one of the USA forums.

Comment

My company pays for all the flying expanses and I do get to claim the sky miles with Delta and partners. If you sign up for the AMEX while on the plane you get an extra of 30000 points, which is worth around 300 dollars off your next ticket. I have all my friends, who occasionally fly claim their miles for me by just entering my membership number when checking in. that way, you gather much more miles than using the credit cards. but I will get the AMEX anyway, just for the extra points and cancel it after a year.

Comment

Working...
                        X