Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this is my first international relationship scared however, willing to handle it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is my first international relationship scared however, willing to handle it.

hello everyone im currently doing a international relationship however, prior to that my bf and i were living in the same country. in one of my previous post i explained that my bf and i met in Boston and from the moment we'e met it was a instant connect. however, all of this has been taken away from me in a blank of an eye. this past two weeks my bf was informed that his finical loans to finish his masters program here in Massachusetts has been stopped due to money shortage his country is having. he is currently located in Italy. this past week been so difficult for us both. he has broken up with me twice before because he wasn't sure on how to handle the situation he is in. however, i still stuck by him because i felt what we had shouldn't end due to his currently situations. so being the supportive person and risk taker as i am, i gave him ideas on how he may be able to return to the US. the government told him the only way he is allowed to return is to pay back 40,000 dollars. so his mother agreed to go ask a family member for help surly enough she declined him of that. so reality hit him that he wont be able to return till he graduates in January and take a test for his licence. so that will take a total of eight months. realizing i was making all the decision and he wasn't i decided it was best to end the relationship as he suggested. however, yesterday he video Skype me pleading and asking that we try this long distance relationship that im worth the eight months and that i have nothing to worry about that he loves me very much and im not worth losing. so we both agreed to keep communication going to have trust in each other and know that we can get through this. once he is done he will leave everything behind to be with me here in the US. you guys are probably wondering how old we are im 24 and he's 32.

any helpful suggestions?

International relationships can be tough, sure, but they really aren't that bad. I've been in one for three years Show your guy this forum, have him do some reading, and he'll see that so many of us are in the same predicament and manage pretty well. I'm not sure it'll be so easy to convince him just by telling him you're worth it, he may need to see for himself that it's not so unusual and plenty of people are very successful at it. Maybe he needs some concrete proof that LDR's work, especially temporary ones. He's 32, so he's no kid, and is probably more jaded regarding relationships than someone younger than him, so just telling him it'll be OK really may not be enough. Show him. Good luck, let us know how it works out for you!
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
      International relationships can be tough, sure, but they really aren't that bad. I've been in one for three years Show your guy this forum, have him do some reading, and he'll see that so many of us are in the same predicament and manage pretty well. I'm not sure it'll be so easy to convince him just by telling him you're worth it, he may need to see for himself that it's not so unusual and plenty of people are very successful at it. Maybe he needs some concrete proof that LDR's work, especially temporary ones. He's 32, so he's no kid, and is probably more jaded regarding relationships than someone younger than him, so just telling him it'll be OK really may not be enough. Show him. Good luck, let us know how it works out for you!
      This.

I know something that helped my boyfriend and I, in addition to reassurance, was also sitting down and thinking about how we could practically make it work (I feel like this makes us sound like bitter old cynics ). We loved one another, what we had was worth giving it a shot, but we also needed to see how we were going to make it work. We needed to think about how we would be able to see one another (how many times a year, who could afford going to who, etc.), what our expectations were for time commitments to talking/our relationship, what our expectations were in general, would he be okay entering a relationship with someone with an inflexible degree, and so on and so forth. I think once we sat down and really talked about how we were going to make it work and what our expectations were, it did two things: opened our line of communication for the conversation to happen in the future and proved to ourselves that it was doable. Perhaps in addition to what Moon said, you could both sit down and have a pragmatic conversation about how you plan to conduct this relationship and your expectations for it? It will also allow you to find your own suggestions that work for your own relationship, as well, and LFAD is a great place to figure out where to start/what are some things you can do.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

well him and i are talking about how we going to make it work. him and i will be video chatting for the time being as well send things to each other that reminds us of one another and do other things as well like play online games together etc. he will only be gone for eight months. then he will be back in the US. at that time i'll be on a search for an apartment so when he comes back we can stay together. so we talked and he knows im worth it that why he considered this i did not i wanted to go there and spend time with him he wanted me to stay here and focus on my studies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RubySlippers View Post
          well him and i are talking about how we going to make it work. him and i will be video chatting for the time being as well send things to each other that reminds us of one another and do other things as well like play online games together etc. he will only be gone for eight months. then he will be back in the US. at that time i'll be on a search for an apartment so when he comes back we can stay together. so we talked and he knows im worth it that why he considered this i did not i wanted to go there and spend time with him he wanted me to stay here and focus on my studies etc.
          It sounds like you're pretty set up and have a good plan already. Eight months might seem like a really long time now, but you'd be surprised how quickly it will go by in the end. He sounds like he genuinely wants to be with you, so if you want to be with him too, it's worth it to stick it out. Just keep communication open and remember to be honest with one another.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Well, being in an international relationship myself, I can assure you, it is not easy but neither impossible.
            Besides, you have an advantage that most of us don't have: a date to close the distance.
            Eight months may seem forever but luckily technology is on our side, and they will go by faster than you think.
            If you love each other you'll see they waiting is worthy

I wish you two the best!

Comment

Working...
            X