Visa / Immigration issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa / Immigration issues

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with visa or immigration at all?

My SO lives in America, and we met during my 6 week trip there last October/November. Since then, I have been back twice (Feb/March and June/July) to see her for 4 weeks each time.

On my last trip in June, when entering the US I got taken for secondary questioning where I was completely honest, but they basically said it was suspicious I was making so many trips to the US. I didn't think it would be an issue as I have no illegal intent (staying past my visa date, working, illegal marriage etc) and have a completely clean criminal record. However, I am supposed to be going to a friends wedding in September (and to see my gf for a few weeks), which will be 8 and half weeks since my last visit, and I'm worried they will refuse me entry - which will prevent me travelling on the Visa Waiver program ever again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any immigration or visa issues when travelling just for a visit? Especially US related issues.

Thanks
    ~McNab

My Story
    Met first time (in person) October 2011
    Unofficially together since November 2011
    Officially together February 2012
    First visit (me to her): 25 Feb 2012 - 22 March 2012
    First visit (her to me): 28 Dec 2012 - 11 Jan 2013
    Broke up January 2014
    Got back together June 2016

Hello McNab
    I freak about this very thing more than anything else when I travel. I was in Orlando with my SO last July and have been back in Minnesota in October, December and April (and am heading out in 3 days time woohoo). I have never been held for questioning but I do get "the look" and lots and lots of questions when I go through. They always ask to see my ticket home and things ughh. It makes me really uncomfortable and I find it embarrassing with a line of people behind me. I carry photos of my kids and a wage slip and other bits and pieces that make it quite obvious I'm not running away to America. A part of me is glad they are careful and that the border controls are doing what they need to do to keep the country safe but I agree its not a pleasant experience.
    There are lots of web sites online that discuss what to do when they question you or if you get refused. Its worth a wee google on a rainy afternoon.
    Uffda
    Last edited by Katrina; July 23, 2012, 04:49 AM. Reason: edited to add uffda

Comment

I got stopped for secondary questioning on my first visit to Canada.... my first time out of the UK EVER! I think it just depends on who you get.
      As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I only see this thread now
        I've never been in secondary.
        I've had three trips so far: October-December (2 1/2 months), February (1 week), May/June (two weeks).
        Now I'm planning to spend five weeks there over summer. I'm a bit worried to be honest. I got a letter from my employer stating I need to be back for work early September just in case but there mere thought of having a secondary questioning freaks me out :/
        I think the general recommendation is to have short visits and to have a good time in between them. But nobody can give you any guarantees.

Comment

Uhm, my SO hasn't been able to get a visa at all, so those are our issues. He's been refused twice, despite our best efforts. He attends University full time and worked doing research under one of his professors, owns part of his house, and has no relatives in the US... and they still turned him down both times. It makes me angry.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Bring TONS of evidence that shows you will be returning to your home country. My SO came to "live" with me for 6 months on his tourist visa, then only 9 months later came back for a week. I was shitting bricks I was so nervous he was going to be denied entry (the general rule is stay out for at least double the time you were in).

So bring bank account records, bring a letter from your job saying they plan to have you back on __ day, bring a copy of your lease, a copy of your car lease, university enrollment papers... anything that shows that you plan on going back. Definitely bring an invitation to the wedding, have contact info for the people you plan on staying with just in case they need to call and confirm.

Best wishes.

Comment

Basically next time you go, bring stuff which ties you to the UK, letter from employer, rent/mortgage payments etc. The general rule is, if you go for a month, wait more than a month for your next trip. They get suspicious if you keep going back often. Last time I went on the VWP I was scared because I'd just graduated and really had no ties, bills, rent or anything but the officer let me through, I got through fine, stayed my month and went back home when I said I would no problem. But it depends who you get at your point of entry really, just bring whatever you can to prove you will go back home as promised and you should be fine if they question you again.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Im always worried about going through immigration. In the last 2 and half years i've been to LA 8 times, with stays between 4 weeks to 8 weeks.

The last time i went to LA was in April/May and the border officer looked at my passport funny. Asked me loads of questions and he was the guy that looks at your passport while you're in line. The guy who was at the desk hardly asked me anything. The officer who was checking the passports in the lines pulled the officer by the desk to talk to him (probably whispering about me), i had some evidence with me (uni paper, work letter etc) and i was about to take it out of my bag when the officer came back and he was like "its ok, what are your reasons for visiting?" i said visiting my boyfriend and traveling. He then asked me how i met him, told him met him on a game. Then he was talking to me about the game lol. Same happened the last 7 times. Kinda glad i didnt have the officer from the line deciding if he was going to let me through.

Im visiting again in 2 weeks and im going to take a lot of evidence with me this time. As the above posters said check some websites out (try visajourney). Getting denied on VWP would suck so bad! But there are other visas out there that ppl from VWP countries can use that arent immigration visas.

Comment

dont even get me started :/ when i visited Denise for christmas i got the bitchy customs person who asked the 20 questions game before i could enter, she was like "where did you two meet? how does that work(meaning how our relationship works online) do you have a job to go back to? you planning on getting married while your here? are you gonna overstay just to be with her?" ect ect i swear she was gonna ask about my sex life next, i was finally let through but she made me nervous and edgy. as for Visa's pffft been denied twice, finally got this denial overturned! nightmare!!!

Comment

My story:
                    I am in India. Conservative family. I am only child. Overprotective parents. My SO is in USA. We never met in real. We have been friends for about 3 years . Recently got into relationship and here we are committed to each other for marriage!
                    Every time we video chat to try to find solution to visa issues; I get lost in his expressions and all we do is chat and giggle.
                    hah!
                    Silly, I know
                    but this is what love is ❤❤❤

Comment

my SO is from the US too....

we decided I would live with him and apply for the fiancee visa... but boy, when I got through the info on the immigration site... I began to feel desperate.
                      what I don't get is that I HAVE to marry him... not that I don't want to... but only want to marry him when the time is right.

there are so many things to take into consideration and things to be done...
                      wow.... I was amazed to see all the things we need to do before we finally are able to live together and start a family...
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

So true, there is a lot of stuff and formalities to go through and I guess you need a lots of money for that

Sometimes, I start losing hope but he holds on. That's the beauty of our relationship.

Do you live in India; if yes, then we might help each other in the visa process.

Comment

hey Lamb!

no, I am from the Netherlands..
                          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

Nice to meet you

I hope things get easier for you ❤❤

Comment

Be aware that if the immigration inspector is not convinced that you are a bona fide visitor for business or tourism, you may be denied entry to the U.S.

I visited my husband in December 2009 and stayed there for 3 months (less than 90 days), and about 2 months later I wanted to visit my husband again (because I quit my job). When I was in Atlanta Airport, the immigration inspector were not convinced about me for tourism. They denied entry to the U.S. and they sent me back with the first plane to Denmark. 20 hours flight on that day...

Comment

Working...
                              X