No announcement yet.

Different languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SO is from the Philippines so she's really proficient in English even though it's not officially her mother tongue, and I'm from Chile so mine's Spanish, but since English education regarding English is pretty crappy here, I had to learn it by myself but I'm glad I can say I've even fooled native speakers when writing with them.
    I do need more speaking practice but that's something I've been able to do with my SO as she's much more (I'd say 98%) fluent :P

slowly though we've been exchanging languages with each other though, so we've mixed it up a bit from time to time

Comment

I am from Slovakia and my boyfriend is German, we are communicating in english 99 percent of the time. I used to learn german at highschool which is quite a long time ago..But I am learning his language again. I am not always correct when I speak, but I can have a regular chat with anybody. He is willing to learn my language too (already bought a book) and he is learning some phrases when here.

The good thing is that both mine and his parents speak english too!

Comment

The language barrier has been hard in some aspects of our relationship. My fiancé is fluent in English and I'm now fluent in his language (Portuguese). Our families can't communicate and sometimes we have a hard time expressing ourselves. It's ok when you learn to be patient and ask "what do you mean?" or "can you explain that a little more?" instead of getting frustrated or angry. :P

a gente se completa neste abraço

Comment

My boyfriend and I are both fluent in English; but we're also both bilingual. He's (mostly) fluent in Spanish and I'm (mostly) fluent in French. If he moved to my province, where the main language here is French, he'd have a very difficult time getting a job, as most places prefer you to at least be able to get by in both languages. Where he lives, a lot of the population does speak Spanish, as they are on the border between Texas and Mexico, but it would be easier for me to move there, as I don't necessarily need to know Spanish. The only thing that would probably be a problem is that I don't speak Spanish, and his entire family does. Most of them do not speak English. It can be a tad overwhelming, but I am willing to learn at least some Spanish to be able to get by. We've only discussed in passing what we would raise our children speaking, we'd love for them to be able to speak all three languages, but we can see how this might be a difficult task.
          started dating: 12/08/12
          "i love you": 04/12/13
          el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
          montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
          el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
          montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
          el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
          el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
          el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
          san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
          san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

My SO, being from Egypt, speaks Arabic, along with English and French. I.. Only speak English. *Facepalm*
            We have discussed what would happen if I was to move to Egypt, and quite frankly, I'd have to have some knowledge of the Arabic language, which to me seems quite a daunting task.
            But.. I'm trying. When he's on Skype with me, he'll leave it unmuted when he's talking with his family and he's teaching me phrases too.
            Taking it step by step.. But it won't be easy!

Comment

Regarding children - you can actually teach kids 2 (or more!) languages from the very beginning on.
              My parents are polish and we lived in Austria since I was born so I learned both languages at the same time.
              This is what I am going to do with our kids - I will speak polish with them and he will speak english - BAM bilingual.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

My SO is from Pakistan and even though he is fluent in English (Though we have a few language barriers sometimes when he says something out of context or says something the wrong way which I find absolutely adorable!) his native tongue is Urdu and Punjabi. We both speak in English to each other, and I've been learning Urdu with a few Punjabi phrases here and there, but I'm not very good at it yet and only know maybe a few phrases and a few words. I really want to learn how to carry a good conversation in both languages because I think they mix it sometimes and they have a lot of slang.

He would be okay here with my family and friends, but with his family only some speak English like his close cousins, but he's told me his parents don't know English. So I would love to learn his native tongue to be able to communicate with them whenever I shall meet them.

I find it very adorable when he speaks his native tongue. I find his accent so very attractive. He lived in England for a few years so he has a bit of a british accent mixed in with his home one. <3

And with regarding children, I would like them to know both languages. So then they wouldn't have any trouble communicating with either of our families.

Comment

Working...
                X