No announcement yet.

Can't use my phone in Canada....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both for your replies. Riyko, where do I get Canadian coin then -- at my local bank before I leave?
    February 2012 -- met online
    August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
    April 2013 -- met in person
    June 2013 -- broke up
    July 2013 -- back together
    August 2013 -- 2nd visit
    October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
    April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Benni see if your bank has the coins, if not see if they have any canadian money. If they don't have any canadian money once you get to the airport go to one of the currency exchange places and get like $20 CAD then go to one of the gateway news type places and get something to drink then ask to exchange some coins for quarters.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I've never been to Canada, but I know the airport nearest to me in the UK has vending machines which sell pre-paid SIM cards and basic mobile phones for visitors on a UK network. I'd be surprised if the same setup didn't exist there. You can get a cheap little phone for about £20, with £10 of calls on it, out of this machine. There's also no need to register the phone here - you just get it out and dial.

I always get a local phone or SIM card when I travel somewhere - international roaming fees are just way too expensive. My British phone works in the US, gets a signal, I can dial out, but it costs £1 a minute if I do. So I have a little American phone on Virgin Mobile (that I got from a 7-11 on my way out of the airport) which I just top up when I visit, and it's 20c a minute to either call someone in the US, or dial home.
        Last edited by radioandy; November 28, 2012, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Ok, Riyko, thanks!!

radioandy, that would be doable indeed! thanks!
          February 2012 -- met online
          August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
          April 2013 -- met in person
          June 2013 -- broke up
          July 2013 -- back together
          August 2013 -- 2nd visit
          October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
          April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Working...
          X