Calling abroad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling abroad.

I've been looking around, but it's proving quite difficult for me, and was wondering how other people cope if they have the same problem.

The problem is calling abroad.
    Only I have a smart phone, and when either one of us is away from a computer, communication is difficult and rather annoying.
    We currently text through twitter, to avoid the costs, but it's a pain, and sending a text can be more effort than you'd like.

So I've been looking about to see if i can find some way to be able to call my so abroad at a decent rate.
    And was wondering how you guys do it?

The best way ive seen so far, is to get an international sim for my phone, and it claims to drop call rates abroad by a bit.
    Skype also has a Call to go service thingy where it lets you call a number, and skype calls the other phone to decrease the rates that way.

Ive looked into it quite a bit and i think i need a tiny break, its giving me a bit of a headache haha.
    any help would be amazing!

I use skype to call long distance. I paid $50 for a year and it includes 500 minutes a month to landlines and mobiles. Its wonderful. I can either call using my computer or by logging into skype on my phone.

Comment

i see youre from england? If so what network? Im on 3 and use the code 290344 to call abroad. i think it's 3p a min to call USA which isnt all that cheap so i only use it for emergencies (or a very short hello). Does your SO have a smart phone? Skype to skype on mobile, Whatsapp, viber can call for free too. I dont actually get to use these apps with my husband as hes still in the stone age regarding his mobile phone (i mean motorola razr? really lol) i use them to call my family in hong kong.

edit - i just re read your post, so only you have a smart phone? hmm iunno then i would guess sim cards and phone cards. Sorry not much help

Comment

I'm with o2, and an international sim will let me call the states at 2p/min.
        Which sounds good, but it always ALWAYS seems to be more expensive than that.

Comment

Have you tried using google talk to send texts? I know its free but you both have to have smartphones for it to work. There are also a few other apps that can help with the texting as well. I know you can use skype on smartphones too. Since your SO doesnt have a smartphone the only thing I can see you doing is getting a calling card to make calls and such. Have you tried talking to you SO to see if they are able to get a smartphone?

Met Online: 02/2012
          Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
          First Met in person: 09/22/2012
          Started Dating: 10/30/2012
          Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Originally posted by kayla_622 View Post
            Have you tried using google talk to send texts? I know its free but you both have to have smartphones for it to work. There are also a few other apps that can help with the texting as well. I know you can use skype on smartphones too. Since your SO doesnt have a smartphone the only thing I can see you doing is getting a calling card to make calls and such. Have you tried talking to you SO to see if they are able to get a smartphone?
            You don't actually have to have smartphones for google talk. I am able to text through my computer once I'm on the google talk website-freely-to mobile phones. You can get those messages forwarded to your cell phone once you have a number set up.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I used to use an interanational calling card (but was calling from the USA to the UK). It wasnt that cheap but $10 used to get me at least 3 20 min phone calls to my parents. Only ever used it a landline though..
              Si tu n'etais pas la
              Comment pourrais-je vivre
              Je ne connaitrais pas
              Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
              Quand je suis dans tes bras
              Mon coeur joyeux se livre
              Comment pourrais-je vivre
              Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
              Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

I use Localphone to call abroad - it's very cheap, they have apps for various different smartphones, or you can assign a local number to your overseas partner to make it cheaper and easier to dial. So instead of dialing international, you each have a local number in your towns, which redirects to your partner. It sounds more complicated than it is.

I've used it for some time now, and it's never let me down. I hope this helps

Comment

As you have said that only you have a smartphone, I would do as lyonsgirl suggested. I do believe that you can also get voice calls to divert to a mobile phone for free if you aren't online (on a PC) on Skype.

Comment

Has Lycamobile made its way to England yet? My ex got a separate SIM card through lycamobile because for a dollar (or 1 euro, rather) he could get an hour phone call to my mobile in the U.S. It's a separate SIM card and you may have to go to the pain of getting it unlocked, but it might be worth it. You could also consider using Skype, either Skype credit or a plan, because you get some pretty decent rates out of that as well.

Comment

Viber. It uses your wireless connection and is 100% free to send texts and calls!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
                        Has Lycamobile made its way to England yet? My ex got a separate SIM card through lycamobile because for a dollar (or 1 euro, rather) he could get an hour phone call to my mobile in the U.S. It's a separate SIM card and you may have to go to the pain of getting it unlocked, but it might be worth it. You could also consider using Skype, either Skype credit or a plan, because you get some pretty decent rates out of that as well.
                        I saw it in London! It definitely exists there.

Comment

Yes, Lycamobile has made it's way to England and I would recommend using that, I use it to call my family who are in England who don't have smartphones - it works really well and I think the costs are quite reasonable
                          No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

One of my friends moved to England at the beginning of the year to be with her husband. In order to keep in touch with her family and friends, she got an international calling plan with O2 that lets her call the States. You get a specific number of minutes every month and a number for your US people to call you. It's a local (or long distance depending on where they live) number. Either way, it's a lot cheaper than them calling an international number. I think the plan she got is like 200 minutes for 10 pounds extra a month. I'm actually thinking of getting the same plan when I finally move to England to be with my husband.
                            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                            Made it official: September 17, 2010
                            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                            Got married: November 21, 2012
                            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Jango View Post
                              I'm with o2, and an international sim will let me call the states at 2p/min.
                              Which sounds good, but it always ALWAYS seems to be more expensive than that.
                              Same here, I got myself an O2 pay as you go international simcard, costs me 3p/min to ring a mobile phone in Thailand, absolute livesaver!! (compared to orange £1.49/minute)

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                              2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                              3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                              4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                              5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                              6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                              7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                              Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                              UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X