Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! Good luck!

Comment

Congratulations on starting the visa process...

Comment

Congrats and good luck!

Comment

Thanks everyone

We've managed to get an idea of when we'll be ready to submit and hope it will be around August time, which means he should be here by November and then we plan to try and marry on our joint birthday - which Jan 6th!
          Joey & Scott
          Met: April 2002
          Lost Contact: August 2002
          Reconnected: April 2010
          Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
            This is coming from my knowledge of USA visas which I assume are similar to UK visas.

Someone from the USA does not need a visa to enter the UK. So it is perfectly legal to go to the UK, get married, then go BACK to the USA while applying for a spouse visa. What is illegal is coming on a "visitor visa", marrying and then staying in the UK. I mean, lots of people have destination weddings in the UK. It can't possibly be illegal to get married then and then go back to your own country. If you want to apply for a spouse visa you have to get married somewhere.

You can't do that. It states on the UK border agency website that if you are coming from outside the EU and you want to get married here you need one of the 2 Visa's available to you ( Marry and leave again or marry and stay). You can't come in as a visitor with the intention of getting married.

Originally posted by JoeyBug View Post
            Thanks for the info, I didn't make myself clear but it wasn't the visitor visa I was talking about but the visa that allows you to marry in the UK, it's what people who just want to get married in the UK use and is a possibility as far as I know, but he would have to return to the USA before we could apply for the Spousal.

Either way, we decided to go the fiancé route then Spousal so it's moot.

Sorry i jumped the gun abit, soooooo tired lately.
            Just didnt want you getting stung by our complicated legal process. I'll be going through the visa process myself soon too.
            As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post
              Sorry i jumped the gun abit, soooooo tired lately.
              Just didnt want you getting stung by our complicated legal process. I'll be going through the visa process myself soon too.
              Not a problem I've done a whole heap of research, but I did appreciate the info because I could have got it wrong
              Joey & Scott

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Joeybug this is amazing news! Congratulations & good luck with everything!

Comment

Congrats Joey! I'm hoping for the best mate.

Comment

I'm SOOOOO excited for you! Your story gives me hope!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I've got my list, and have started to tick things off. I'm just waiting for some more info and stuff to arrive and I can ship the first lot over to him ready for him to submit. We're hoping we'll be ready by August
                      Joey & Scott

Comment

well done for starting, I'll be watching this thread with great interest as hopefully one day it'll be us.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyBug View Post
                          Hi everyone

Scott and I talked last night and went back and forth over which visa would be the best ones for us. With him in the US and me in the UK, and knowing that he will come here we only had a couple of options. The first was that he come on a visitor visa, we get married and then he returns to the US and we go straight for the spousal visa. This would mean that he wouldn't have to pay for two visas and would be able to work when he arrived.

The second option was that we apply for a fiancé visa, when he gets approved, we then marry within the six months and apply for the spousal visa. This would mean paying for two visas, but fewer flights and would allow us to have some time to prepare and get used to living together.

We both know we want to spend the rest of our lives with the other, we both know we both love each other and care for each other immensely. I already meet the financial requirements due to my circumstances and so it's just a case of us having the money for his flights and the visas. We decided in the end that we would go with the second option as both options came to needing a similar amount. So, whilst he has savings already, he will need to save more to be able to do both, as will I.

He's coming here and we're planning to marry. He hasn't proposed yet, but he wants to do that when he's here so that it's more personal than over the phone or skype or text or whatever. He's looking for a job - ANY job - that will allow him to save asap and then we'll start the process. I need to do some things on my end and so will be starting to get that stuff done ready for us to submit the application! The hope is that he's here by the end of the year

Yay! The wait begins, but at least there is now a light at the end of the LDR tunnel for us!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! We did the fiance visa (: If you need help with anything just let me know. We just got approved! (:
                          "I love the stars and the moon because I know that I'm always sitting under the exact same ones as you"

Comment

That's so exciting!!! My husband and I just got our spouse visa in February, and I'm in the UK now. If you need any help whatsoever, please let me know.
                            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                            Made it official: September 17, 2010
                            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                            Got married: November 21, 2012
                            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Whoops, I replied to the other thread and didn't realise that you already started the process. lol.

That's fantastic news! I hope that everything goes smoothly and wish you both the best. My Scottish husband and I got married in the US too.

Comment

Originally posted by rawrimolivia View Post
                                YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! We did the fiance visa (: If you need help with anything just let me know. We just got approved! (:
                                Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
                                That's so exciting!!! My husband and I just got our spouse visa in February, and I'm in the UK now. If you need any help whatsoever, please let me know.
                                Originally posted by pink elephant View Post
                                Whoops, I replied to the other thread and didn't realise that you already started the process. lol.

That's fantastic news! I hope that everything goes smoothly and wish you both the best. My Scottish husband and I got married in the US too.
                                Thanks everyone! I'll know who to go to if I have any problems
                                Joey & Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X