UK to USA LDRers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nicole View Post
    I'm from North Yorkshire, I'm living with my SO in Ohio now. We're moving to Colorado next week
    Congrats! Hearing things like this from international couples (especially US/UK) really does give me a lot of hope...

Comment

It's so wonderful hearing from all of you. It's truly amazing and gives me real hope in my own UK/USA LDR.

What Kinds of issues or problems have y'all faced? And what advise would you give?

Comment

I didn't have too many problems- time difference could be a strain sometimes if my SO worked late; I'd get sleep deprived and it could spark some pretty low moments for me. I just made sure I'd get some sleep before the next time we talked. Otherwise, we did pretty well, even when we could only see each other every 5-6 months or so. Even immigration was pretty straight forward after the initial "They want HOW MANY FORMS?!?!" shock, it just took forever to go through and have my green card in hand, but it is definitely worth it!

The biggest problem I had was my sister being awful towards me and thus my SO, but now I live here I don't have to speak to her anymore She made the whole crappy situation a lot worse for me. It definitely helps to have good people around you to support you!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=nicole;309169It definitely helps to have good people around you to support you![/QUOTE]

Yh that is a huge positive. I have the same problem with my family. They all know about my SO but are so hesitant on letting me visit him even for a week. This puts a huge strain, plus his family isnt approving on LDRelationships, so he hasn't told them which upsets me cos it's horrible knowing all about them but not being able to talk to them or interact because of what they'd say and do to him.

Comment

Originally posted by helena9523 View Post
            It's so wonderful hearing from all of you. It's truly amazing and gives me real hope in my own UK/USA LDR.

What Kinds of issues or problems have y'all faced? And what advise would you give?
            Time difference. It can be difficult for us to find time to really sit down and have a good conversation because of the 7 hour difference. But we still text throughout the day.

Comment

Freebird, I work in Leeds now

I'm originally from north Yorkshire though.

Comment

To be honest we don't find the time difference that bad, though at the moment he's not working and I'm in college so He's asleep while i'm there then wakes up just after I get home and we're always texting.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                  Freebird, I work in Leeds now

I'm originally from north Yorkshire though.
                  Ha! I'll trade you locations/countries.

Comment

Hahaha wouldn't that be awesome if we could trade locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
                      Ha! I'll trade you locations/countries.
                      yes please

Have you visited glorious Yorkshire at all?

Comment

Originally posted by helena9523 View Post
                        Hahaha wouldn't that be awesome if we could trade locations.
                        Totally wish we could! Would make life easier haha.

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                        yes please

Have you visited glorious Yorkshire at all?
                        I've not, never been out of the country actually! Plans are for my SO to visit me first here in the US. If all goes well after that, I will visit him in England (soon after, hopefully!).
                        Last edited by Freebird; September 5, 2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

It would totally make life easier, haha i'm willing to swap ^_^

Comment

I live in Florida and my Boyfriend lives in a small town near Birmingham

Comment

Hi, I'm new here. I'm in the US (NY) & my SO is in the UK (Bolton)

Comment

This thread makes me miss the UK. I studied abroad in Swansea, Wales for 6 months several years ago. Looooooved it.

Comment

Working...
                                X