Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice flights/plane. Meeting SO for the first time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They really do go out of their way in most airports to make it easy to navigate. You check in and then go to security and then your gate. Ask the check in person what direction your gate is and which security to go through. There are signs everywhere. I always go through security instantly and find my gate, then I go find somewhere to relax at, if I have time. I always make sure to leave bumpers of time because you really do need to be at gate ready to board 30 min before takeoff. There are monitors that list the flight status all over the place, make sure to check yours several times. Flights can change. Most airports these days are like huge malls, they just have a bit more security and in the end you get on a plane.

When you land, if you have a layaway ask the flight attendant which direction to head for connections. Find out if you need to pickup your luggage or not, some countries allow you not too, like the UK, I do layovers there all the time and do not have to ever pick up my luggage. The USA makes you pick it up at first landing and go through customs there. Do you know what your layover country will be? If you do, contact that airport and ask them. They can tell you what you need to be prepared for. I am thinking you must likely will need to pick up your luggage, but it is not that big of a deal. There will be a couple of other thousand people doing the same thing. The airports should again have signs for where the connections are to go, you speak English too so hopefully most of them will speak some of it a bit. I would suggest google translate for whatever country you have a layover in. Look up some important words like, Connections, Information, Telephones,Exit, Security, Check-in,Cafe and Toilet. After you pick up luggage and go through immigration and/or border control you can re-check your bags and again most likely go through security and then go locate your gate. You can again ask the check-in person which direction to go. There should also be information desks located about the airport. Remember, airports make their living by servicing people like you, they don't want it to be hard for you, they want you to want to use them so they do everything they can to make it as easy as possible.

My biggest advice is always always always watch your time. If you unsure then be early, it is much better than being late. Airports are all about........hurry up and wait, that is just the nature of the beast. Get yourself a good book or something else to occupy your time when you are sitting and waiting. Wear comfortable shoes that can slip on and off easily if needed. Wear layers, like a cardigan style, so that you can remove when hot and use as a blanket if needed on the plane. Avoid belts and stuff in your pockets, you will have to remove them for security. Don't think you are being polite by letting others board first, you have a layover and need to be able to go off quickly so you want your carry-on luggage near you, if you wait the overheads can get full and the attendants will have to place it far away or worse yet, check it for you. This could cost you valuable time. When your zone is called, board. Put your carry-on as close as you can. Be polite yes, but don't be a push over, plenty will take advantage of that.

Anyhoo, most of all have a blast!
    Last edited by Hollandia; September 23, 2013, 11:11 AM.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thank you all for your incredible help! I really appreciate it!

I've been looking up maps of the airport and stuff like that today!

I have also said this to my parents and told them that it's not really that hard and "dangerous" as they think it is!

Thank you again

Comment

Working...
      X