Looking for Opinions on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Opinions on this

Well, my long distance relationship has been marred by many fights. And today, a new one sprouted and I've been having a lot of doubts about this. I feel that I'm losing more and more interest in this, and though she claims to love me very much, there are times when I see that she is acting very selfishly and is dismissive when I try to talk things out with her.

The basics of the situation come down to a few details. Firstly, the app we use to text allows you to see when the other person is "online" and "last seen". It's happened before, including today, that I text her and I get no response for an extended period of time, but I see her online and last seen constantly updating. She even admitted today that she is texting others (I must point out she uses this app a lot with her family, too). However, today the way she was texting me felt very cold and dismissive.

Now, when we spoke on the phone later, I tried bringing it up. I told her that she was pushing me away because I can see her online and she isn't responding to my texts. She simply said "yeah, ok". This has been an issue before between us, and it doesn't feel good at all because she has pushed me away many times before, sometimes in worse ways (much worse). As we were talking, she brought up that I have had issue with this before (the app and her being online and not taking to me) and that she feels controlled. I tried explaining to her that it's not controlling and that there wasn't any logical connection to what I was talking about. She tool that very personally saying that I was saying her feelings aren't logical, that I am being disrespectful to her feelings, and ignoring her feelings.

At that point, her tone of voice was becoming harsher and she kept saying that she was going to hang up. I insisted, calmly, that we communicate. I told her that to me the relationship and love is more important than ego, and that I am willing to clarify what I was saying and that I did not mean to dismiss her feelings. However, I was still looking to have her see my experience of being pushed away and that it isn't controlling. At this point she kept insisting and her tone kept getting harsher about me being disrescpectful and dismissing her feelings. Of course, the conversation ended there.

Immediately after that, I saw that I can't see if she is online or "last seen" anymore, and this app, the only way to do that, is to block the person. This means she is blocking me to make sure I can't see when she's online or not.

That's more or less the crux of what happened.

So, here's where I want opinions on, please: to me, it seems that she wasn't willing to see what I was feeling and trying to say, and she found a way to make this about her and to make me as the irrational one, the "bad one". Why? To me, this whole thing is completely irrational. I had something I wanted to talk about, and bring to her attention. If she understood that I was being pushed away by her for no reason, why couldn't she have said "I'm sorry, and thanks for letting me know how you feel. I'll try to communicate better." ? Instead, she found a way to turn this around and make it about her. She said things like "you just called to fight" and other things that I find hurtful and irrelevant to what we were talking about. I feel like she has to somehow be in control of the issue, and isn't willing to put aside her issue?

But then she says she loves me so dearly. Again, this isn't the first time this pattern plays out. I want to talk about something, and somehow, because of her stubbornness or ego or whatever, it turns into a fight.

I feel very let down by her, hurt, and increasingly disillusioned by how she handles disagreements. In my opinion, this is all so stupid, but hurtful since I don't seem to have to freedom in this relationship to speak up when I see she could do better in the way she is treating me.

Thanks in advance to your replies and support.

Originally posted by er161803 View Post
    Now, when we spoke on the phone later, I tried bringing it up. I told her that she was pushing me away because I can see her online and she isn't responding to my texts. She simply said "yeah, ok". This has been an issue before between us, and it doesn't feel good at all because she has pushed me away many times before, sometimes in worse ways (much worse). As we were talking, she brought up that I have had issue with this before (the app and her being online and not taking to me) and that she feels controlled. I tried explaining to her that it's not controlling and that there wasn't any logical connection to what I was talking about. She tool that very personally saying that I was saying her feelings aren't logical, that I am being disrespectful to her feelings, and ignoring her feelings.

At that point, her tone of voice was becoming harsher and she kept saying that she was going to hang up. I insisted, calmly, that we communicate. I told her that to me the relationship and love is more important than ego, and that I am willing to clarify what I was saying and that I did not mean to dismiss her feelings. However, I was still looking to have her see my experience of being pushed away and that it isn't controlling. At this point she kept insisting and her tone kept getting harsher about me being disrescpectful and dismissing her feelings. Of course, the conversation ended there.

Immediately after that, I saw that I can't see if she is online or "last seen" anymore, and this app, the only way to do that, is to block the person. This means she is blocking me to make sure I can't see when she's online or not.

That's more or less the crux of what happened.

So, here's where I want opinions on, please: to me, it seems that she wasn't willing to see what I was feeling and trying to say, and she found a way to make this about her and to make me as the irrational one, the "bad one". Why? To me, this whole thing is completely irrational. I had something I wanted to talk about, and bring to her attention. If she understood that I was being pushed away by her for no reason, why couldn't she have said "I'm sorry, and thanks for letting me know how you feel. I'll try to communicate better." ? Instead, she found a way to turn this around and make it about her. She said things like "you just called to fight" and other things that I find hurtful and irrelevant to what we were talking about. I feel like she has to somehow be in control of the issue, and isn't willing to put aside her issue?

But then she says she loves me so dearly. Again, this isn't the first time this pattern plays out. I want to talk about something, and somehow, because of her stubbornness or ego or whatever, it turns into a fight.

I feel very let down by her, hurt, and increasingly disillusioned by how she handles disagreements. In my opinion, this is all so stupid, but hurtful since I don't seem to have to freedom in this relationship to speak up when I see she could do better in the way she is treating me.
    Okay, I'm going to be honest. And chances are, you're not going to like what I'm going to say. Pay attention to all the stuff I have bolded and italicized, those are the things that are most concerning to me.

For example, the first bolded point: "I told her she was pushing me away." Nope - you FEEL as though she is pushing you away. Here's the thing I've learned over the years, and from our pre-marriage counselor about fighting. DO NOT, I repeat, do not, start a sentence with "you always" or "you never". That won't help - it will only make things worse. Guaranteed. Instead, and this is a challenge (I still struggle with it), start with "I feel (this way) when (this happens)." Those "I" statements are significantly less accusatory than the "you" statements.

To my second bolded point: first, let's look at the italicized statement. (EDIT: totally just realized when I quote people it's alllllll italicized. I added an underline instead. Oops!) She feels controlled. Has she said this to you? If she has, then you should not tell her otherwise. Do not argue how she feels. You telling her that it's illogical to feel that way is... well, offensive. My almost-husband and I have this argument more often than I'd like to admit. He is extremely logical, I am very much a "feeler". So when I'm upset about something, and he tells me my emotions are illogical, it honestly just makes the whole situation worse and much harder to resolve, because now not only am I upset for the first reason, but now I'm even more upset because he's basically telling me that I'm illogical. No one likes to be told that. (At least, not in my experience.)

Bold part 3 & 4 & 5: you're basically forcing your opinions on her. Sorry, but that's not cool. And, chances are, the more you insist she think like you, the more she's going to dig her heels in and reject what you're insisting.

#6: She isn't willing to put aside her issue? Sorry, I think I'm lost here. What's her issue? That she feels like you're controlling her? IF so, see above point.

#7: "She could do better in the way she is treating me." Okay, look. If you truly feel like she could be treating you better, or that you deserve better than her, then there's no point in continuing this relationship. If, however, you are willing to take a step back, search yourself for your own flaws (I know you have them, everyone does), and work on yourself, rather than just trying to change her, then, this could work. My overall impression from this post is that you are insisting that she needs to change how she thinks. And, sorry to say this, but that ain't gonna happen, bud.

Hope you get things worked out.
    Last edited by lyonsgirl; October 9, 2013, 05:40 PM.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

How long was she not responding to your texts? I think that's important here. If it's all day, then sure, I could see why you'd bring it up. If it's just a little while, then you're making this a much bigger deal than it should be. She's allowed to be online and talking to other people. She shouldn't be expected to immediately respond to you. I can totally understand why she's feeling controlled.

As to how she dealt with it....well yes, it's a bit immature. But I can also see why she would do it out of frustration.

You say she's pushed you away in other ways. Well, I don't know what those ways are, but I think you're making too much at least out of this particular one. Or that's what I can gather from the info you've provided.

Met online: 1/30/11
      Met in person: 5/30/12
      Second visit: 9/12/12
      Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

I agree with everything Lyonsgirl said. As well as, constantly checking when she has been online is weird. I check messages and rarely reply straight away to them regardless if it is my SO or not. To always be checking when she's been online or see your message isn't doing you any good. She will reply when she does. Have you ever considered that maybe she checked the message as she was heading out the door, or chatting with a friend when she received it?

Comment

I totally agree with snow_girl on the weird part. Her comment reminded me of something as well. We used to use the Couple app (formerly known as Pair) and it supposedly said when your partner was online. This caused some strife between us because it would show he was online when he actually wasn't. Quite frequently. So, that could be part of it.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I agree that the "who is online" is a problem waiting to happen. We both leave our Skpe up 90 percent of the time. Mine is on my smartphone too. He leaves his laptop up 24/7 except school time. It used to freak me out to see him online and not get a HI. He used to send me "Where are you?" messages when I was not home and out. We probably had about 3 serious discussions about whether or what the online status meant or did not mean. We decided in the end to both accept that if one of us appears online it means one of three things.
            1. I am not even around and just left my phone/laptop Skype app up.
            2. I am actively online but busy doing something else right now.
            3. I am online and open to you saying Hi or I might beat you to it soon.

You have to understand that talking to each other should not be a chore it should be for fun. My SO likes to come home and check his email, take a shower, eat and play some video games or watch a movie sometimes to unwind before he contacts me. I work on the computer mostly and sometimes I get downright tired of talking online sometimes. It does not mean we don't love each other, miss each other or choosing to blow each other off. I know it can be hard when you are the one sitting online and waiting but sometimes you just have to go find something else to do to occupy your time. My SO did not contact me till after 11pm last night, his time, I was bored out of my skull and staring at his blank Skype but I decided to put on a good movie and stop over-thinking it. He let me know when he did that his buddy stopped by to hang out. He deserves his free time to do what he wants and I understand that. She deserves the same.

Another point, when you push someone they will tend to pull away.She might have just been tired or had other things on her mind initially but after you confronted her she pulled back hard. If you feel you are the one always having to talk first, then wait next time and see how long it is before she contacts you. Then you two can discuss that you feel it should not be a one way street and what your expectations are from this relationship.
            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Just a thought here. Some IM, Msg & TXTing programs get very wonky from time to time.. this is VERY true with both yahoo & FB msngrs.. yahoo its when yahoo it self is doing alot of work to their databases.. FB msngr when they are ready to release a so called update.. Being online over fourteen years I'm more or less used to yahoo's BS.. FB msngr is what we use most of the time when not on the computers.. Mine is almost always on either on my phone or one of my computers.. When an impending update is due it will show my SO as "being on" at some very strange times.. A few times it has had me VERY worried.. My first thought was that something/someone was wrong/sick/hurt.. So of course I would msg and not get an answer or a couple times woke him when i really shouldn't have.... We had a few "discussions" about this.. Some did not start out very well and being the emotional critter that I am of course became a watering pot... *blush* But in all of it we both learned form it.. I started to watch FVB msngr a bit and noticed the pattern of updates and it being wonky...

Talking to others has been a issue for us from time to time.. We are on cam each day as we talk on yahoo.. I won't lie or make light of it is has bothered me.. I guard our time together fiercely! As we've learned and grown as a couple theres more and more respect there.. Being in the military I understood that even his "free time" wasn't always his.. "our time" is always when he has time to watch movies, talk to others and such online, eat...........
              Was VERY hard for me to learn that sometimes I didn't have a choice and had to "share him".. No I didn't like it and its still hard for me to deal with at times..
              I work online and am also very close friends with my boss.. He sees when I "check in" or talk to my boss online.. He has also witnessed a few very bad scenes, I am embarrassed to say.. I've seen the look on his face when this has happened & know he is not a happy camper with it.. One thing I ALWAYS do out of respect for my SO is tell him "I've been found" and will be checking in with the boss.. When one of our mutual friends comes online and IMs we'll tell each other before diving into the IM tag game...

*smiles* I used to get quite upset when I'd see him talking to someone else and see his wonderful smile.. Not why you might think, but because it wasn't me or that I couldn't be the one to make him smile...Yes I know how that sounds.. I will be honest, if I'm in a particularly bitchy mood it still does get to me.. But normally now I just enjoy that smile, no matter how it got there, because it's the man I love..

Most if not all of it for my SO and I has been about growing and learning as a couple..

AussiesPet

hehe btw he has been "with me" on cam the whole time I've been typing this.. ~AussieDemon~ says "Hi"

// won't say sorry for the length, but excuse me if it bothers some..
              lle mae'r galon yn arwain

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X