Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frequent (long) trips to the US on VWP. Worried.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Silver

I agree that I had more leeway. No my SO does not have a middle eastern sounding name. I don't understand what's wrong with being assertive. I don't mean be hostile, but definitely be confident/act like you know what you're talking about. If OP is getting paranoid and worried it may come off badly when he approaches customs. I won't sit on here like most everyone else and tell OP that he won't be denied because I cannot say with certainty that he won't. Just because you've had many friends/family members who have made it through just fine that does not mean the same for others. I know tons of people with US customs horror stories just as OP said, and I have one of my own (my SO).

And Tooki, no... There was really no specific reason why he was detained. Right before he was detained he was on his phone, but that's it. I'm sure there are plenty of people that are on their phone before they reach the officers. They told him he was chosen at random (I was told the same thing, I know that I was released partially because of my US citizenship but the time spent being questioned was significantly shortened because I cut to the chase).

When my SO was brought back for questioning they asked him why he was visiting. He innocently told them about me. They asked how we met, he told them the whole story. We met through online gaming. Unless the officers also have a degree in Psychology I don't think that should have made them suspicious of him. He had to wait 2 hrs after that and then they questioned him further (another officer took him back into a room and that's when it got really really personal). So really, the only reason why my SO could have been detained is 1. He was on his phone 2. He was wearing a hoodie and was flying out to Texas in the middle of the summer 3. He is a gamer and there are a lot of studies that link gaming to aggression.

Anyone who meets my SO will tell you he's the most chill person ever. Soft spoken too. I don't understand why it's hard to believe US customs would do something like that. They're police officers. Police officers are known to do much worse when they feel as if you're ignorant to the law.

OP: I'm not trying to scare you. I know you scored the internet and found stories of your own. Just be confident (I won't use the word "assertive" anymore since it's not being received well) and make sure you have all of your evidence. Also, do tons of reading on rules and policies, make sure you go in there knowing full well your rights as a human being. I hope it all goes well for you.

Edit: my SO's name does have middle eastern origins. my bad. I don't think that has anything to do with it though seeing as they were US custom officers in Toronto, CA. Toronto is extremely multicultural. Originally we thought it was because he is middle eastern but I've figured that doesn't make much sense considering the city he lives in.
    Last edited by princessmaria; December 10, 2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I get what you mean with confident, that makes sense.

We met through online gaming. Unless the officers also have a degree in Psychology I don't think that should have made them suspicious of him.
      Anything with "online" does tend to raise some suspicions for them, unfortunately. Partly because there's a lot of internet scamming and deceit.

I don't understand why it's hard to believe US customs would do something like that.
      It's not hard to believe, at all. Some officers (not all) will certainly question people and be a pain if they feel like it, but I think you said somewhere he was actually denied entry, right? There's usually something that they'd be able to put in a report to blame that on, even if it was just like.. "being uncooperative with TSA officials" or something.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermoonfairy3 View Post
        I get what you mean with confident, that makes sense.

Anything with "online" does tend to raise some suspicions for them, unfortunately. Partly because there's a lot of internet scamming and deceit.

It's not hard to believe, at all. Some officers (not all) will certainly question people and be a pain if they feel like it, but I think you said somewhere he was actually denied entry, right? There's usually something that they'd be able to put in a report to blame that on, even if it was just like.. "being uncooperative with TSA officials" or something.
        After filing a case with CBP we found out that it was because they decided he intended to immigrate to the US. Issue: you're trying to immigrate Solution: see a psychiatrist. Makes total sense.
        This was in May this year. Was a pretty horrible experience... thought I was going to see him that day and he was humiliated. He still can't enter the US unless he pays 500 dollars per hour to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. I'm a little cynical when it comes to US customs now.

Comment

Originally posted by princessmaria View Post
          After filing a case with CBP we found out that it was because they decided he intended to immigrate to the US. Issue: you're trying to immigrate Solution: see a psychiatrist. Makes total sense.
          Sure it does, if you want to leave Canada to move to America, you must be crazy. :P
          Jk, yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Honestly, princessmaria, I think your SO mentioning you, was where he went wrong. I've read and been told that whenever I'm entering the US to see my SO, to say that I am visiting friends/family. They do not need to know my boyfriend is anything more than a friend. Whenever they hear "boyfriend/girlfriend" that is an automatic red flag because they will always think that person is going to get married and try to stay in the country. I am visiting the US in February, I was last there in beginning of July. I think I'll be fine but always in the back of my head I think they'll be suspicious as to why I'm visiting their country again less than a year later.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapookie View Post
              Honestly, princessmaria, I think your SO mentioning you, was where he went wrong. I've read and been told that whenever I'm entering the US to see my SO, to say that I am visiting friends/family. They do not need to know my boyfriend is anything more than a friend. Whenever they hear "boyfriend/girlfriend" that is an automatic red flag because they will always think that person is going to get married and try to stay in the country. I am visiting the US in February, I was last there in beginning of July. I think I'll be fine but always in the back of my head I think they'll be suspicious as to why I'm visiting their country again less than a year later.
              I'm just not sure this is the best course of action. On the chance you're interviewed further, you would likely be forced to admit you're seeing your partner. And then it's 10x more suspicious that you left that part out.

Met online: 1/30/11
              Met in person: 5/30/12
              Second visit: 9/12/12
              Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dezface View Post
                I'm just not sure this is the best course of action. On the chance you're interviewed further, you would likely be forced to admit you're seeing your partner. And then it's 10x more suspicious that you left that part out.
                I said I was visiting friends and the officer was like "FRIENDS, hah? your BOYfriend?" And I simply said "yep, one of them is my boyfriend, but I'm staying with his sister and husband" then he asked me what I had in my suitcase and let me go with a warning.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                Married: 1/24/2015
                Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

What does a warning entail? Does it mean some kind of a mark in your passport?

Comment

It's probably just a stern talking too but I could be wrong.

I dont get the suitcase question either, when I went through last time in August I was asked if I had any of his things in my suitcase :S I always get so paranoid when going through customs lol
                    ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

Originally posted by Roo View Post
                      What does a warning entail? Does it mean some kind of a mark in your passport?
                      Oh no it was just a verbal warning. He told me not to cut it too close and to leave more time between visits or else it might seem as if I want to live in America illegally. There is nothing in my passport!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                      Married: 1/24/2015
                      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Dezface View Post
                        This is actually what happened to me, Dez. Not exactly, but long story short, I fudged my story a bit because I heard horror stories about saying you're visiting a boyfriend/girlfriend in another country and being denied access based on that they think you're going to immigrate. This was my first time seeing him ever in my entire life. Needless to say, I WAS pushed further (the only time in my few times up there where I was questioned in detail, which was funny, and ironic, all at the same time) and questioned more, and was essentially forced to come clean. I was expecting to be denied entry right then and there, but ultimately, I got a very nice border patrol officer who ended up letting me go through anyways. What made it worse is he was trying to call my boyfriend, because he wanted proof of the lie I was giving them. My boyfriend was in a place with no service, so he didn't get through, which made it even THAT more suspicious, and even if he did get through, my boyfriend didn't know I was telling this fib, and probably would have told border patrol the truth and I for sure would have been in big trouble. It was terrifying, and I was lucky I got who I got in Toronto.

So from my own experience, I can say, please please please PLEASE don't lie! About anything! You never know when you'll end up getting tangled up in your own web and be forced to confess, like I did. Since then, I've just been very honest, and said I was visiting my boyfriend, and they've let me pass no problem. I would just say have sufficient proof that you're not going to immigrate there and are planning on going back to where you came from.

Comment

So, I made it back to the US. They did take me to secondary inspection again, but that was to be expected. But, in the end, I got through without even a warning. Which I find unbelievable, because my passport is stamped with the exact date I'm going back. I felt really stupid having cut it so close.

Anyway, back here for another three months with my baby! <3

Comment

Oh, and I told them straight away I was visiting my girlfriend. They did ask about our plans for the future, but I told them that it's too early to be thinking about getting married, and when we would get to that point, we would apply for the appropriate visa. They seemed happy with my answers.

Comment

Yay! That's really good news. Have fun!!

Comment

Glad to hear you got through fine, or at least without a warning! Enjoy your time together
                                Joey & Scott
                                Met: April 2002
                                Lost Contact: August 2002
                                Reconnected: April 2010
                                Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X