Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you go about teaching your SO your language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you go about teaching your SO your language?

So, my SO and I have talked about me teaching her my native turn, which we think would be really fun. But there's a slight issue, I'm not entirely sure on how to go about doing it. I'm guessing the best thing to start with are the basics, like my language's alphabet, numbers, how to say hi and so on... but what do you think? I'm pretty sure some of you has done this as well. If anyone's got any advice for me, I'd be very grateful for it!

Thanks for taking the time to read this! ^^

(Also, I have searched for similar threads, but I haven't found any...)
    "The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

Get her used to little words like "Hello, goodnight, good morning, I love you" which you guys probably say to each other a lot already. You can teach her the numbers and the alphabet first, and maybe have little conversations about yourselves. Make her say things like "Dinner was so good tonight".

Comment

Just start with the basics like you suggested, such as numbers and the alphabet. Swedish isn't that difficult for English-speakers to learn (I'm studying abroad in Sweden and did a Swedish Language Course). Lycka till!

Jag gillar att plugga svenska!

Comment

I wouldn't. I do correct small things when he speaks, but that's all. We plan to pay for a private business English tutor for him.

Comment

Since I am the one who is gonna move, I am learning my SO´s language, Danish that is. That is why I do not bother him much with my language, but I taught him few words: greetings, Enjoy the meal!, Cheers etc., simple phrases he can use in everyday life when visiting me

Comment

I got him a Dutch for dummies book
            "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

In my prior LDR, ex really wanted to learn my language, and while communicating, every sentence was repeated in Dutch...
              For example: Good morning - goede morgen. Did you sleep well - heb je goed geslapen.
              Conversations lasting longer, but he learned quite fast... Also all the written communication was like this...

This time... we didn't start yet with the Dutch lessons...

Comment

He is using a website/app (duoling) and when he gets stuck or unsure I help him out. I would be too impatient to try and teach him all of it myself!
                So, here you are
                too foreign for home
                too foreign for here.
                Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I would get a textbook for beginners and take it from there.

But then like lucybelle: My SO still takes German classes twice a week. Me teaching him didn't really work out. We do try to speak more German, though but you need to have some basic language skills for that already.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I was also thinking about teaching my SO german... But I don't know how to do it either. As I have planned to move there if possible it's not really that important. I learned spanish in school for 3 years so I am able to understand most of the things that he says, but speaking is still a little hard for me. Anyway I would really like to teach him german a little because if he gets to know my family one day he will get some problems to comunicate with them because not everyone of my family is good at english or speaks it at all. I think I'm gonna start with the numbers first and as the others say the greetings and that stuff. But I have no idea how to teach him grammar or anything like this...

Comment

Thank you for the helpful comments, everyone, I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                      Just start with the basics like you suggested, such as numbers and the alphabet. Swedish isn't that difficult for English-speakers to learn (I'm studying abroad in Sweden and did a Swedish Language Course). Lycka till!

Jag gillar att plugga svenska!
                      Alrighty, sounds good, seems like we think alike when it comes to the difficulty of the Swedish language and so on. :3

Hehe, tack!

Svenska är ju ett ganska så litet/ovanligt språk om man jämför med andra språk som t.ex. Tyska och Engelska, så det är kul att folk från andra länder vill lära sig det! ^^
                      "The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

Comment

I need to teach my SO some German as well. He's coming over here next year, so that'll give him lots of opportunities to learn new words. He's not that much of a language person, though, and I need to motivate him more... any ideas? Maybe I'll get him a really simple book (like, one for children) and make it his goal to understand that.
                        first met in 2008 -- started talking online again in 2011 -- decided to go on a date in 2012 -- actually started dating on our first visit in August 2013 --
                        second visit in February 2014 -- third visit in June 2014 -- fourth visit in September 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Anoulie View Post
                          I need to teach my SO some German as well. He's coming over here next year, so that'll give him lots of opportunities to learn new words. He's not that much of a language person, though, and I need to motivate him more... any ideas? Maybe I'll get him a really simple book (like, one for children) and make it his goal to understand that.
                          I bought my SO books for toddlers, haha! He loves reading them to me and he also watches children's TV shows because he enjoys anything that has to do with animals and they're often the characters in those series. Also got him 'Dutch for Dummies' but he rarely uses that, and he payed for an online language course and then couldn't find the motivation to do it. He understands a ton from just being here, emerging yourself in a language is still the best way to learn. I gave up on teaching him pretty soon, but he often asked how to say certain things in Dutch so then the subject would come up.

Comment

Originally posted by MissButterfly View Post
                            I bought my SO books for toddlers, haha!
                            I contemplated doing this myself, I taught myself to count in Estonian with a children's toy so it's a good idea!

Comment

As someone else mentioned..
                              I got an Arabic for Dummies book.
                              He already knows/has learnt English - I need to get to grips with Arabic!

Comment

Working...
                              X