Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about LDR, want advice/insight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about LDR, want advice/insight.

Hey people, i'm new here and I've been mulling some things over in my head recently and would like some (solid!) advice.

I have been in an international LDR with a woman for about 7 months now. She has a young child and the father left during pregnancy, she hasn't had contact with him since. We have set a timeframe on when I would move over, and I love her, but lately I get the sense that something might be a little "off". I have met her family and friends, as did she. Needless to say things are pretty serious at this point, which is why I wouldn't want to jump the gun in this matter. I shall try to list some (in my mind) key events as chronologically as possible.

- After the first time I was over, she went out with her sister and a friend. Her friend had just broken up with her bf of a couple of years to move somewhere else (after which she apparently changed her mind, met someone else and decided to stay). My gf told me that they met up with a couple of guys, and that pretty much all she did was either be quiet or talk about me. Her sister ran off with one of those guys, her friend with another. She told me that by the end of the night her and her friend went sk**** dipping. I was not pleased to hear this, but to this day am still unsure whether or not those guys were actually still present at the time, somehow I forgot to ask and I hadn't brought it up since. When she noticed that I wasn't happy about it, she told me that it's not a big deal, and that everyone does it. To me personally, that's about the worst reason to do something. Whether it was just her friend and her or not who were present, is my biggest concern.

- A couple months in, she told me that her recent ex contacted her, and was talking about wanting her back. She told me that she had no interest whatsoever, as she told him. She told him that we were talking a lot about a future together, and that she wants to invest in that (I have to note that her actions and communication towards me indeed reflect that). When I was over last, he started talking to her on facebook. The conversation was about music (since I was lying next to her in bed and could see him sending her a youtube link, I merely looked over out of reflex and didn't bother her until the conversation was over). When I asked her about it, and asked her why they were still talking to each other (since when we first started talking, we both said we have a "no contact with exes" kind of mentality), she told me that if she'd block him, he'd just stir up drama. That all they do talk about (seldomly) is music. For the most part i'm inclined to believe her, it's just one extra thing running around my brain.

- Last time I was over, we were having dinner with her friends at one of her friend's house. The subject of a certain band came up, and one of her friends informed me that they were coming to do a show in the area soon. He asked me if I was interested in tagging along with him to go see them. Since I wasn't going to be in the country at that time, my gf told me that she wouldn't mind going with him. She hasn't given any indication of actually liking this band and in fact dislikes the genre they play. Most likely she'd just fancy a night out since she doesn't get many of those lately, but it still struck me as kind of odd.

- She has a fair amount of guy friends. Lots of female friends as well, but one of her male friends in particular dropped by her house a couple times these past 2 months, always at a fairly late time. I was meant to meet him but the plans we had last time I was over fell through (due to the both of us, not her friends). Though I was at her house for 2 weeks, seems a little odd that I haven't yet met this man. She apparently knows him since they were kids, i'm not sure whether they have a history of dating or the like. She does at times still talk to me when he is around though.

- Last thing that happened today was a Skype call with her, and her child mentioning something along the lines of "mommy's friend is getting on an airplane". When I asked her 2-3 times what she meant, she seemed to zone out (something that happens regularly, not only when I ask for something to be explained, and it's something we just had a bit of an arguement over actually). She started talking about something else, after which I asked her again what her child was talking about. Her only response was "oh", followed by basically no explanation at all.

Now I know I might be looking into things way too much, but all these small things put together actually make me somewhat worried. Also I'd like to ask people to refrain from the oh so populair one-liners along the lines of "she's cheating, get out now!". Those aren't very helpful at all. If anyone on here can shine a light on it, it would be greatly appreciated. After all I most of this could be just a wrong interpretation on my part.

And yes, to those who would like to say "talk to her about it", the problem is I'm not very subtle and am quite direct when I do ask about things. This makes me come across like i'm accusatory and it puts people on the defensive. A good strategy for bringing up these things could also be helpful.

Bring up the fact that she likes skinny dipping and having male friends? Why?
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
      Bring up the fact that she likes skinny dipping and having male friends? Why?
      In the case of the first, i'm unsure whether or not there was anyone else present besides her and her friend. And it's not about the male friends, don't have issues with that, it's the one guy who poppes around at late hours more frequently. I haven't met this person yet, as I explained. Thanks for reading, I know it's quite a long post.

Comment

Well, he sounds like a close friend. Next time you are there, you can ask to see him. Tell her you want to know more about her through her friends. Perhaps you all can go out.
        Last edited by differentcountries; January 26, 2014, 12:21 AM.
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Hey Zucchini,
          As someone who is also in an international LDR, I know how hard it can be at times to not let things get to you, or over-think things in a relationship. I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but I think you might be over-thinking things. Some girls just have a lot of guy friends, for whatever reasons. Those type of friendships might not always work out, but I think a lot of the time, girls and guys can truly just be friends, with no feelings attached. As for the concert you mentioned with her guy friend, it may be just an excuse to get out, even if she doesn't like the band.
          The only part I'm confused about is what her child said about the friend getting on the airplane. It seems maybe a bit strange that she didn't bring it up, but there could be a logical explanation to it as well. Also, young kids say random stuff all the time, so maybe it was even something he/she made up or doesn't understand.

As for the communication issue, I would suggest saying something along the lines of, "I feel like we haven't been communicating about certain things lately, and I want to try and change that so we can get closer. Can you try to work with me on this?" That way, you're not coming across as accusatory, and she probably won't be so defensive.
          Good luck

Comment

Hey emsimes,

First off, thanks for the reply. Takes commitment to get through the post alone.

Saying i'm over-thinking things isn't harsh at all. I mull things over all the time, it's the way i'm wired. Usually it's nothing to worry about (ranging from thinking about an article or passage in a book I've just read, to why they even put "contains: milk" on yoghurt cartons), but where these things are concerned, it might not always be the best way to deal with it. And her kid can be somewhat of a randomness machine, so you might have a point. Sensitivity isn't my strong suite (though I try!), so i'll approach the conversation as you recommended, seems about right.

Comment

First of all I would suggest you ask her about the skinny dipping thing, because that seems to bother you a lot. But make sure to ask nicely. I guess it's good that you already know what your problem with bringing these things up is, that makes it easier to pay attention to them. Tell her why it is important for you to know about these things, try to share your feelings and not just talk about facts, tell her that you worry.

The thing I find the weirdest is the one about her kid saying something and her avoiding to explain it. If it had just been some random babbling she could have said more than just "oh". I always feel like someone acting defensive/somewhat off is a sign that something really is wrong. If it wasn't for that, I would say you're over analyzing. I don't think having male friends is a problem, especially if she has a lot of friends all together. But I do agree that you can ask to meet him the next time you're there. And there certainly shouldn't be anything wrong with wanting a night out when she doesn't get that a lot and it's her thing (she seems like a very outgoing person from what you wrote).

I hope that helped a little, it's very difficult giving really solid advice only knowing small fraction of the whole thing.

Comment

Hmm.. On the issue itself, I think other people have basically covered it. Now, on how to bring it up-- I'd probably say something like "Baby, something's been on my mind lately-- is it alright if we talk?", and "I've been feeling uncomfortable about [....] and I keep thinking about it even though I don't want to suspect you of anything. Can you explain clearly so I don't feel worried anymore?" Obviously this is how I'd word it, but maybe keep the sentiment in mind; using a lot of "I feel..." and being careful of using "you's" can help a lot. At least, it has for me \o/

Comment

I think everyone else has given great input on this.

I just wanted to mention one thing that concerns me a little. If I understood correctly you have been together/known each other for 7 months which is quite a short time after all. I would think moving internationally (or seriously thinking about moving) at this point would be too soon.

Is it possible for the two of you to spend a more longer period of time together (at least a month?) to see how things are when you are together and to get to know each other better?

You seem like a very smart guy from your post. (Made me think you were much older LOL) I'm guessing she is about the same age as you. Maybe some of her behaviour has something to do with been young and unexperienced? I could see myself going skinny dipping after a lot of drinks at that age
                  But yeah it does make a whole lot of difference if the guys were still there or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X