LDR with very complicated future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR with very complicated future

Hello there! After googling "How to deal with a long distance relationship" (yes, I'm really desperate sometimes) I found this website and decided to make an account. The imagination of talking to people who go through the same pain of missing their partners, etc. and being understood really made me happy.
    So I'm not quite sure why I am making this thread in the first place. To be honest, I just really want to write down my story, my worries and problems and hope to find someone with similar thoughts to talk about it, get reassurance or maybe even solutions. I'm gonna try to keep it short, but I can't promise anything!

I am 19 years old and met my boyfriend on a video game. Neither of us was looking for a relationship. I was in a deep depression, staying home from school and spending my days on the internet and in my own thoughts. We started talking, first about the game, then we exchanged Skype and started talking some more, first only on chat. After a month or two, we called each other for the first time. I am a very shy person, and the first call was super awkward - but the second one was already wonderful. We just "clicked" and it was so much fun to talk to him. Another month or so later we started talking about me visiting him. He lives in the USA, I live in Europe. My family had planned a trip to America later that year and I thought we could meet up. But the more we talked (daily for hours, for months), saw each other on webcam, met our parents on webcam etc (haha), the sooner we wanted to meet. And so I booked a flight to America in the Summer, three months earlier than my family's trip. I have relatives in America that I could have stayed with if there would have been nobody on the airport, huge catfish etc.

But when I arrived on the airport, my boyfriend (he had asked me out about 3 weeks earlier), his friend and his mom were waiting for me. A few hugs and some sweaty-hand holding later we were sitting in his car, on the way to his house.

However, I have realized that I can't write down our story in such detail :'D What I can say though - in those two weeks we were together, we grew a strong bond. After a really depressing year, he really was my little light. When I was back in Europe, we kept talking. The distance was already hard then, but nothing compared to now. Looking back, I fell in love with him somewhere between my first and my second visit, which was two and a half months later. He met my parents and my brother and i spent another wonderful two weeks with him. In December, i went to visit him for a third time, this time for two months! I am starting a new school and therefore had some long holidays. It wasn't an easy two months - he's struggling with his mental health, too, and we had quite a few breakdowns which ended in us holding each other crying. I have often said that it would be better for both of us to have a mentally stable partner, but now it's too late, we're already in love. Even though we had our downs - we also had some awesome ups. New Year's Eve was the best I've ever had. We had so many adventures and I am really sure that I have found my soulmate. I don't trust any person in my life like i trust him, and there is nobody that understands me blindly like he does.
    Going back to my home, my depression hit again. Whenever I'm with him, it stays in the background. I can do stuff, I have energy, a healthy sleeping schedule, I laugh a lot and I don't drown in thoughts. Without him, that is really hard. I miss him extremely. Sleeping alone is hard, and I can't deal with it very well. I get mad at my friends who complain about seeing their boyfriend once a week, when I wont be able to see mine for god knows how long (at least 4 months).

What really bothers and depresses me the most, is our future. You've probably started to wonder why he's never visited me. He's an illegal immigrant in the USA and can't leave the state. Even though he has been living there for almost his whole life, pays taxes, and went to school, he has no green card or anything. That he hasn't met my friends, seen my house, or even seen where I grew up makes me so sad sometimes, but I can't change it. He's also financially struggling. Growing up with his mom and younger siblings, his mom works every day in a low paid job to be somehow able to get them food and a roof over their heads.
    We don't know what our future looks like. My boyfriend can't work, since he has no work permit. He's currently applying for the Deferred Act, which will give him that, but it required lots of documents and also money which he doesn't have, but I'm positive that he will be able to get it sometime this year. Then he'll have to work to be able to afford college. I have another 1.5 years of school left, then I can go to University. I've thought about going to his city for Uni, but I honestly don't know if I want to be educated in English, because my English isn't perfect. Also, my roots are in Europe, and I would miss my family horribly. The main point though is, that here I would get college for a fraction of the prize that American education costs. We've looked into him coming here, but as an illegal, getting a visa would be super complicated. He also doesn't speak the language of my country, so going to University here would be even harder for him. Immigration laws are super complicated and he couldn't even become a citizen of my country by marrying me (yes, we're so desperate that we've even considered marriage at this young age).
    Do any of you have experienced something similar? I just feel like life is so unfair. The only good thing that has happened is me getting to know him (which is unbelievably wonderful). But it seems that I have to "pay" for that luck now in obstacles and "spits in the face".
    Other than that, I also have the "normal" long distance relationship worries - what if we grow apart, what if this is all just too hard to handle, occasional arguments...
    I would be extremely thankful for some responses! ) If you took the time to read all this, you're really awesome.

Hey there. I read this because you seem a similar age to me and slightly in the same situation so I hope I can make you feel better. Me and my boyfriends situation is a lot different - we don't have the whole illegal immigrant issue, he studied here in the UK for a year, I have visited him etc. But to me it seems like the main problem is your uncertainty about the future. In terms of this worry, I can completely understand where you're coming from. It sounds like you and your boyfriend have a very close bond, and he makes you very happy, and you make him happy too. And this is great. So many people do not understand people in long distance relationships, but i believe when you find that person it would be crazy not to do it, so you're very lucky to have found that person. Going back to the worrying about uncertainty of your future together, all I can tell you is I have the same worries about who's going to move where, how it'll happen, how long it will take etc. I realise though that these worries are silly, because I won't be able to be with my boyfriend at least a year and a half from now. I know it sounds cliche but it will work out in the end. You cannot know what will happen now, me and my boyfriend have talked about this, but we have both said we WILL be together and we WILL work it out - so there's no use worrying about it, it's not a matter of if its just a matter of how, and if you love him and he loves you, it will be the same for you both, so don't let the details bog you down. You can go study there! I feel the same in terms of feeling low without him, but I also realise that this is no way to live. All I mean by this is, is it is inevitable you're going to be apart - it's a fact and nothing can change that. But you can try and make your time without him happy, by getting into other things - spending time with friends, taking up a hobby, I sometimes feel depressed and just want to wait in my room until I can speak to him, but that will only make the wait until I see him longer. So focus on making your life without him bearable and happier, and then it won't all seem so bad. And within this is means making your ldr happy and good - do things like watch stuff together and cook together and have a skype bath date, all these things make it not seem so bad because you are kind of with him.

I hope this has helped, sorry I can't give any specific advice about how you to could be together in the future, but I don't know much about immigration etc either. But also one last thing, regarding what you said at the end, it is un fair, and i feel exactly the same, i get pissed off and jealous of people who get to spend their time together. But all i know is is that good things don't come for free, and my relationship will be stronger as a result of this obstacle. Not many average day couples will have been tested like you two have - it shows real commitment and love. The flame will not go out if you keep it alive. If you love each other, and work at the relationship, it will pay off.

Lots of love and hope you feel better

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Thanks for sharing your story. I guess one of the reasons why your life seems complicated (apart from the illegal immigration issue) is because you are young... There are many couples here still in the beginning of their studies who will not be able to close the distance until they finished university. Anyhow, even many people who are not depressed per se feel life is hard away from their so. It is natural to want that kind of support all the time, and to think everything would be wonderful if JUST the distance would be closed, because all other matters seek rather small in comparison. Stil life is life. An education is important to have money. It seems both you and your so have a fair chance at getting both education and jobs, which will help you in the long run. Perhaps if you can focus on that, the waiting time will seem more meaningful.

Well. I will never be able to marry my boyfriend. He struggles to get a visa to my country (in fact our first and recent attempt failed... my country think young, poor, unmarried guys from his country is an "immigration risk"). I do luckily get to see him quite often (from now on, hopefully about every 5-6 weeks), but mostly for only short intervalls at a time. My job can be flexible about shifting arond a day or two, but apart from that I work in an NGO that do public service, so our holidays coincide with public holidays (meaning summer is the only time of year I get more than a week and a half off). He can come for long during winter, but of course only if he gets his visa. My boyfriend is still studying... to tell the truth he is a lousy student, but he is an exellent worker and has a lot of persistance and passed more exams since I met him, so hopefully he will get his degree in the end. If he has no finished education, there is not way he will get a student visa here, which is our only option of him approcacing a work life here (he can work while being a student). My education will probably don't get me a job in Turkey, so far I hardly speak any Turkish either, and I don't want to be LD with my husband (who speak no Turkish by the way). I really want to start having children within three years (I am already 34), so time is ticking. The future is up in the air... Perhaps he will migrate here within those years, pershaps we will snow bird and have a LD indefinetely. Right now, no one can tell.

Life IS unfair. However, you don't "pay" for luck - it is just sometimes you get so accustomed to bliss you forget that life is also made up by the harder stuff. Try not to think in terms like happiness is earned, it is really just random. Take what you can get. Try to appreciate what good things come your way. As hard as you curse your bad luck, you should also count your blessings - they soothe your soul. By all means think about the future, but it makes more sense to focus most of your energy on the next visit (try to get a date for it, if possable), because in an LDR that will give you a LOT more sense of calm if you can count down the days. Best of luck
      Last edited by differentcountries; February 20, 2014, 06:12 PM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for support and encouragement in an LDR.

It does sound like the two of you are in a very difficult situation. I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you, but some other folks involved in an international relationship may. Things often have a way of working out and in ways we could never predict. If you two love each other, I'm sure you'll find a way to be together. It might take a long time, though, so make the best of each day. Try to use this time to grow closer and get to know each other. Hope someone on the forum has some advice for you. Good luck.

Comment

No advice, just some empathy and +1 to the "visas and immigration laws suck" crowd. My SO can't visit me or meet my friends and family because they won't give him a visitor visa. It really sucks and, unfortunately, it might just end up that you will have to get married to solve your immigration problems.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I have no real advice for you about your situation, I just wanted to say that your story made me tear up and I wish you the very best in finding a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
              No advice, just some empathy and +1 to the "visas and immigration laws suck" crowd
              Unfortunately, I'm also part of that club My SO has never gotten to see where I'm from either and it does suck. Luckily, his country has pretty lax immigration/visa laws so I moved here to be with him. After some time, we got married and now I'm a citizen of his country. Eventually, we'll be moving to my country (USA) on a spousal visa. My situation is also complicated because my SO spent much of his childhood as an illegal immigrant in the US and he has a small juvenile criminal record. It (hopefully) won't make the spousal visa impossible for us, but it does add some extra hoops to jump through.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas for you regarding visas. Like you said, he wouldn't be able to sponsor you to go to the US and it seems like your country is really strict on immigration laws as well. If you had no other solution, I think it'd be worth it for you to go study in the US for at least a year, that way you'd get to kind of "test" out your relationship close distance. I know you said that your English isn't perfect, but it seems pretty damn good in your post. And you could just go away for a year at first so that being far from your family wouldn't be a big deal. Then you guys could take it from there.

Comment

Such a tough situation you're in!
                How long is uni? About 3 years? It could be done to be seperate for another 3 years. Many people have been together (and apart) for more years, and they're still happy with each other.
                It sounds like you two have a great relationship. 3 years is hard, but if you have visits to look foreward to, time will go by faster than you'd think. Really
                The only problem is your mental health. An LDR is very emotional as it is, and with a depression it's even harder.

You said that you thought it would be better for you to both have a stable partner. But because you're both going through a tough time emotionally, you might find just the support you're looking for. Because you both know what the other is going through and how the other feels.
                It's maybe better than someone who doesnt understand how you're feeling at all and just thinks you're just being dramatic.

If you really REALLY can't take being apart for another couple of years, you could consider moving to the US and just take a job and try to work your way up.
                I know many people who have great jobs because they've worked their way up.
                OOORRR... You could take a Gap year. Go live with him for a year and take a job there (restaurant, clothing store...). See how that goes.

And as for the 'normal stuff' such as growing apart etc etc.
                I feel you Nothing you can do about it though. Just have to try to be strong and plan your next visit. Or make him something you can send over the post to suprise him!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X