LDR and money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QueenRancid View Post
    I'm having the same problem right now. My BF and I have been planning for me to go to the UK where he is studying, but plane tickets cost an arm and a leg. And he's having issues with money constantly and his family always wants him to send money back home. I don't know what to do. We've been together for almost two years and I love him but I get tired of having to change plans when something comes up with him. I've been ready to go and I have money saved up to pay for our 'mini-vacation' we were going to have while I'm there. He told me he'd pay for the plane ticket (I didn't ask him to, he just told me he would). I'm also terrified of going there without a visa (apparently I don't need one) and getting rejected entry to the UK so it would all be for nothing. Any suggestions? I have no one to talk to about LDR's because no one in my family has ever had one.
    Being a UK resident myself i can assure you, you don't need a visa to visit the country for a little while, just a passport. Living here is another story. I do understand your pain tho, i mean USA and the UK are very far apart and to not be able to see each other frequently is frustrating I understand about the flight costs, for me to get to Florida by january it would cost £1900 and I'm not earning a penny. And my family don't know about my relationship because they probably wouldn't approve of the distance, but I'm not guna let that bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_in_pink View Post
      Being a UK resident myself i can assure you, you don't need a visa to visit the country for a little while, just a passport. Living here is another story. I do understand your pain tho, i mean USA and the UK are very far apart and to not be able to see each other frequently is frustrating I understand about the flight costs, for me to get to Florida by january it would cost £1900 and I'm not earning a penny. And my family don't know about my relationship because they probably wouldn't approve of the distance, but I'm not guna let that bother me.
      That is a lot for a flight to the states - I've booked two trips to upstate NY with internal US connections for less than that, picking midweek flights in and out saves a packet!

But to answer the OP's original post, it is difficult, I earn more than my GF by quite some margin, and do not have any other dependants, so apart from my mortgage and bills, the rest I earn is for me.

My first trip over, I did not spend a penny other than the flights, and this one, I suspect she will not want me to spend anything while there either, but I will make sure I have got some dollars.

We are in the fortunate position that we have been friends for a long time prior to getting romantically involved and I have helped her out with money a few times before in the past - as I have done for CD friends when they have had cash flow problems or emergency repairs etc.

She is planning to come over next year for our birthday's, and is saving for the flights already - while she is here, I will not expect her to pay for anything, and I will pick her up from the airport and bring her home (200mile round trip).

My ex was really funny about equal spending and things being 'fair' but life isn't and as long as there is no resentment about the money side of things from either parties then it doesn't really matter...

Different story about frequency of visits and amount of holiday spare though!

Comment

Originally posted by p_b82 View Post
        That is a lot for a flight to the states - I've booked two trips to upstate NY with internal US connections for less than that, picking midweek flights in and out saves a packet!

But to answer the OP's original post, it is difficult, I earn more than my GF by quite some margin, and do not have any other dependants, so apart from my mortgage and bills, the rest I earn is for me.

My first trip over, I did not spend a penny other than the flights, and this one, I suspect she will not want me to spend anything while there either, but I will make sure I have got some dollars.

We are in the fortunate position that we have been friends for a long time prior to getting romantically involved and I have helped her out with money a few times before in the past - as I have done for CD friends when they have had cash flow problems or emergency repairs etc.

She is planning to come over next year for our birthday's, and is saving for the flights already - while she is here, I will not expect her to pay for anything, and I will pick her up from the airport and bring her home (200mile round trip).

My ex was really funny about equal spending and things being 'fair' but life isn't and as long as there is no resentment about the money side of things from either parties then it doesn't really matter...

Different story about frequency of visits and amount of holiday spare though!
        I guess I've been looking at the wrong sites? and probably the wrong time of year, as peak time is usually around xmas and summer time. I'll keep looking though i don't care who pays for what, as cheesy as this sounds you cant put a price on love lol! but its the fact I'm unemployed atm which is bringing me down and i feel like he's putting the whole visit on standby for personal reasons.. i guess i should be more understanding because he does have family issues and other stuff going on anyway.
        Last edited by pretty_in_pink; August 30, 2014, 05:56 AM.

Comment

I jump the pond all the time, that is way way way too high. It should cost around 1100-1200 dollars to go back and forth from UK to USA. Try Kayak.com

I can go from Philly to Amsterdam for 1200 bucks. That is like 600 pounds. I have been jumping the pond, usually with a stop over in Heathrow for over 3 years. Go to Kayak, and tell it to search for nearby airports and plus minus 1-3 days before your date of departure and return. It will find you the cheapest route on any airline. You are indeed paying hella too much at 1900 pounds which is about 3800 dollars!
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the advice.. i could really use it ryt now especially when moneys so tight.. ill give it a go! I'm itching to get to Florida to see him!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.. i could really use it ryt now especially when moneys so tight.. ill give it a go! I'm itching to get to Florida to see him!

Comment

Working...
              X