Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Here- My story, and how do you deal with goodbyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh! wow so many girls after dutchies!

Honestly, i would take any help in learning dutch, because if its soon that i move it will be a rush to learn xD. Although i did find out all dutch people (about 90%) actually speak pretty fluent english.

The airports werent bad actually (i actually flew in from baton rouge, LA to Houston, TX and had a 8 hr layover. This is because his eldest sister and her bf were vacationing in TX and were headed home. (this made it a ton easier honestly). Even though i didnt actually know them yet. My advice towards the actual airport itself is that you should honestly find your gate first, and THEN go find food and keep an eye out for changes in gates ect.

i honestly didnt see the NL airport much because his father is friends with someone who is high up at the airport and i got to skip everything except the guy stamping my passport. My SO was actually standing right after i got off the plane (i didnt know all this was happening and i was shocked lol) Grabbed my bags and just followed that man and my SO to meet his family.

As for your anxiety.. i am the same exact way. i took some weird pill before that really calmed me down (still didnt stop me from having an anxiety attack before i got on the first itty bitty plane i was on >.<) but after i walked around in the second airport (houston) it made things alot easier on me. I am now fairly confident about flying somehow. Remember flying sucks but at the end youre flying to something that matters most to you.

AND when you get to the NL definitely try a fresh stroopwaffel! Totally in love with them!<3 and if you like licorice (as i do) you'll be in heaven aswell!
    Last edited by TheCatAndTheFish; August 31, 2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I will definitely take those tips from both of you into account when it comes to flying! I won't get too far ahead of myself as I haven't even been able to save for a passport yet...sigh money

TheCatAndTheFish, I'm a beginner in Dutch myself but I know enough that I can help people with as I've written so many notes for Dutch that it's engrained into my brain! I have some other materials that will help in terms of pronunciation and conversing if you need it.

A personal tip from me, if you struggle with the G/CH/SCH sounds specifically - change the G/CH in either to a K so for example "schoen" would become "skoon (in pronunciation in terms of English sounds)" or groot will be become "kroat" (think of the word throat with pronouncing this one) and then slowly soften K and add a phlegm sound to it (like a hiss?) then you should hit it with enough practice

I looove stroopwafels! My SO brought over some last October, or in February I think and since then I have been hooked! Thankfully in Tescos (in England) they sell Daelman's stroopwafels (and mini ones too!) which is the original makers so yay! <3

Comment

I'm Dutch and my bf is from the US. He loves stroopwafels too!
        I think it's really cool to read about how you experience the travelling, the NL and your relationship!

Comment

Saying goodbye is a tough subject. It was really tough for me.
          I managed to to visit my ex 2 times. The first time was back in 2011, I stayed a month at his place. The day before the trip was terrible, we cried loads.
          We also did not have a future visit in mind so it made things even harder.

Then in 2013 I went for a week and that was VERY hard. He had lost all hope in me and the last day he barely talked to me. He was feeling abandoned. And when I left his flat he did not even hug me. Needless to say I was shattered, stressed and I felt guilty (I shouldn't have felt guilty because I was taking action visiting him)
          I really wanted him to make up his mind and visit me.
          But things don't happen like we want to.

Comment

Working...
          X