Belfast at Last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belfast at Last

I don't wish to derail that other thread so I thought I would make a new one on the related topic and my experiences with closing the distance in another country.

Take about life's interesting turns. We got here, it's been a over a week, and for me it is yet again another country outside of USA, already pretty homesick, for him, it is his first time leaving his country for long term. He was somewhat miserable this last week. Having been the one to mostly leave USA during our time, I have gone through this several times, it feels different when you know it is not just a vacation. He misses his apartment, his cats, and his family and friends. Life here has not been super since we got here. They keep moving us around hotels, and we are going to 2-3 viewings a day and the stress of new job plus being away from our kitties and he got sick and looked like a broken puppy. I am not instantly in love with another new place here either. I am so tired of being a "visitor" everywhere and living out of suitcases.

We stuck it out and took one day off from it all and just were "us" and I found a decent short term rental to relax and take our time to find our long term place. I bought a pay as you go UK smartphone and finally I have something that is mine and local. We found a couple really nice potential long term ones in areas we both like much more than where the hotels have been and a cute pub that serves excellent food for a reasonable price. We are greatly looking forward to having a kitchen again and cooking our own meals and a separate living space from the bedroom. We have applied to two long term ones and have our fingers crossed but having the short term means we have a bit more time. I think we made it through the worst of it.

It was hard to do, but in the end. We just would have been devastated by being apart so we were able to tolerate being pretty miserable to get to this point. In a few months, once the long term let is obtained, and he can then get a UK bank account, and he can get some time off work, I will leave here and we will get married. Once back we will stay here till one of us gets a solid enough job somewhere else in either NL or USA (or perhaps somewhere else) to meet immigration rules again. He knows that if he wants to go back to NL, all he has to do is work here until his obligations are fulfilled and then find a job that meets NL IND full spousal requirements.

I will go anywhere with him in the world because as sad as I might be to go through these changes, adjustments do happen and then you work through that and in the end the most important thing to me is, I will be with him. As hard as it is sometimes, we have learned to stop for a day when needed and just enjoy each other and try to remember this is all still a part of our adventure together making our life what it will become in the future.

I won't be changing my status here till after we get married, because until then I am here on a visitor visa and if something hits a glitch, I could end up in USA away again until we marry. I am watching my time closely and plan on getting out of UK before 90 days are up whether it is to go get married or go sit in USA and wait. If it all works out and he can get the time off work with next two months then we won't have to part, but if not, it would be for last time and hopefully not too long.

On a total Belfast note:
    The people here are amazing. Some of the friendliest people I have ever met in any country in my life. Everyone, cab drivers, hotel staff, waiters, people on street you ask for directions from....everyone. They say the word "wee" a ton, and that is no stereotype, takes some getting used to. We have been nervous about picking where to live because the locals have warned us from certain areas and for various certain reasons. Taking a long term let in a problem area would greatly affect quality of life so we are trying to balance budget and location along with amenities. His new job has been great about putting us up in hotels and extending his hotel time here and letting him off early to go to viewings. He has met some very nice new international co-workers and I have met a few of them. The taxis here are abundant and quite cheap and Belfast is small enough if you are willing to walk a lot, you can get around on foot between several BT zones as well. We have looked at some neighboring towns that are close by train in Holywood and Bangor as well. I think we can make a nice home for ourselves here for awhile. We can't wait to bring our furry babies to our new place once we get a long term let. One the four of us are together, then it will really start to feel like home.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Good luck! Hope you get the four of you ally settled soon!

Comment

Congratulations the first few weeks in a new country can be brutal if you don't have a place to call your own. The great thing is that you don't have to worry about learning a new language (apart from the occasional "wee", pun intended) and that means you can go out and find new friends and things to do! My advice would be to find a meetup or something, and preferably something that is not limited to expats. It might sound counter-intuitive, but wherever you are only surrounded by people who immigrated somewhere (and their local fan-club of people who hate their own country), it can get a little negative. On the other hand, if you find a group of people that share your enthusiasm for something - music, photography, crafts - that includes locals too, then the atmosphere is completely different. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

We have not had much time to socialize yet, but I do look forward to making new friends. The people back in USA from my area were quite clique oriented, not too mention being a bit snobbish and looking down on others. I am fairly talkative extrovert and I think it put some off. The area had a decent amount of money and so there was a lot of keeping up with the jones and bull crap like that, I really hope it not like that here. In the NL, I had problems because I could not speak Dutch and never really lived there so I am friendly with his friends and more so with their GFs but I still craved people that would be more than just casual friends. We do have plans to meet up with the bartender and his partner from the first hotel we stayed out, we all got along quite well and he was actually helping us find places to let. We also have an online friend from just above Belfast we want to meet up with too. All that is on the back burner till we can find the long term let. Once we find that, we can get the apartment full of stuff in NL shipped here and bring the kitties here. Nothing is ever easy in LDRs so of course, he will have to fly to NL, grab his parents car and pack up the kitties and take two ferries to get back and then in a few weeks or months time do the opposite to get them their car back. The only way around that is if can find a cheap enough car here. Time shall tell soon, I have been thinking maybe we should. They can only fly or ferry over here, no pets allowed into UK through the trains and UK will only allow them shipped as cargo under plane, so neither of us is willing to do that. The cost of bringing them on a flight is no cheaper than the drive and ferry either, just another expense we have to keep in our budget. They have their Euro pet passport and got their chips and rabies and quarantine done in NL, so they are good to go for that.

It is ironic that I think my SO is starting to realize how hard it has been on me these last three years. For the first time he had to leave all his stuff back in NL and I can see him missing it. I think about mine from time to time in USA, and hope to be able a small portion of it in six months or a year. This is definitely a learning and growing experience for anyone to do.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

you sound stressed take a deep breath, you got this! Maybe it would help if you were to write down your plan - what you have to do, dates to keep in mind, etc. - and then take a few days off, just to walk around and enjoy. I might be wrong, but I am worried that you risk burning out if you don't give yourself a break!

Comment

Originally posted by OperaDiva View Post
            you sound stressed take a deep breath, you got this! Maybe it would help if you were to write down your plan - what you have to do, dates to keep in mind, etc. - and then take a few days off, just to walk around and enjoy. I might be wrong, but I am worried that you risk burning out if you don't give yourself a break!
            Yes, it is stressful. We have to find a long term rental so that we can stop paying rent in NL. That apartment is full of furniture and two cats. If not for the cats we could put the stuff in storage, but we have noone to take them while we search. His parents are willing to go there daily and feed them and such but don't want any pets in their place. I understand, it just means we really need to find a place. The rental market here is insane. The company that hired my SO is hiring many many internationals and bringing them here, there are several large hospitals that do the same and it is the time of year when students are coming back. You can view a place on the market and it is gone in less than a few days. Half the time I get able to do a viewing the place has several contracts on it already. They are no longer first come first serve for most, they choose the pick of their crop. We stopped asking about the cats too, if I don't see an exclusion, it is not getting brought up by me. We need a unfurnished place too, or at least partly because if we leave here at some point we might end up needing the stove, fridge, and washer we have not to mention the king size bed, sofas, tables, desks....just in general a full apartment of furnishings. If we go back to NL at some point, they are mostly unfurnished so I think it would be prudent to hang onto all of stuff. We did find a few and applications are filed but in case we don't get them, I have another few weeks of 10 or so viewings set up. I made a spreadsheet up in my google docs with all the viewings times, days, addresses and phone numbers of their realtors. I put it on my smartphone too, so since I can use my UK smartphone now, I can always find the info when running around doing viewings. To make it even more interesting, at this time while he is working full time, I am just the eyes and ears. I can't sign any papers or go on anything. I am still just a visitor. After we get married and I come back, I will get added to the tenant agreement but for now, he has to be able to obtain the place on his own. It is pretty frustrating since I sold my USA car to have this money in the bank and they won't even look at it at most places. I will be sooooooooooooooooooo happy to get a place.

Today for instance, he is at work and I am working remotely in the hotel and doing some more letting research and calling more realtors. In about an hour and a half, I have to check us out of this hotel. I need to go downstairs and wait for about an hour and ten minutes and then walk to his work to meet him where we will jump a taxi to our first viewing today. After that viewing we will get another one back to this hotel where we will pick up our bags they are going to hold for us and then go to the short term place I found. They are leaving a key out for us since they won't be there at that time. We then have a few minutes to get settled and then off to another viewing. After that one, we need to come back to new place and see if we can talk to owner about extension for longer short term while hunting for long term. That is pretty much what everyday is like, 3 more on Wed, 2 on Thurs, 2 on Fri....and so on. The buses are not the most reliable to use for viewings so it is also adding up in cab fare. I thought find our new home together would be so much fine, but right now, you are right, we are both burnt out. That was why I went and told him not to ask for another hotel extension and found a cheap short term place so that we don't have to keep packing up every few days to another hotel. I think the money we will save on food is worth the money for the double room we are getting in a shared place while we search. At least we will have use of a kitchen and actually for a few days, the house is only us. This place is literally less than 40 USD a day and we are spending more than than to eat out because of no kitchen in the hotel.

I really don't want to have to go back to USA too, so that is another reason I am pushing so hard to get this goal accomplished.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Have you tried looking up the public transport schedule online - https://www.translink.co.uk/ ? I'm sure you can use it on a smartphone as well.
              You can also find longer-term short-term lets on citylets. If the market really is insane right now you might want to get a place for a month to wait out the storm.

ETA: one more place for short-term lets - https://www.daft.ie/short-term/
              Last edited by OperaDiva; September 16, 2014, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OperaDiva View Post
                Have you tried looking up the public transport schedule online - https://www.translink.co.uk/ ? I'm sure you can use it on a smartphone as well.
                You can also find longer-term short-term lets on citylets. If the market really is insane right now you might want to get a place for a month to wait out the storm.

ETA: one more place for short-term lets - https://www.daft.ie/short-term/
                I spend half my day on
                Propertynews.com
                Propertypal.com
                Citylets
                Daft
                Gumtree

and a few more. The public transporation is okay in some areas, but some of the places we go to they are not able to be used because of our tight schedules. He gets to get off a half hour before and the place is 20 min away, so taking a bus really won't work. We do take the train to the other cities for the viewings and those are the ones that get done later in day.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hollandia, have you tried using Right Move? https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent.html It may help as they're quite popular in the UK for looking for properties

There's actually a long term one up on there in Belfast: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-46719077.html Just a heads up

Comment

Originally posted by JaneEmily View Post
                    Hollandia, have you tried using Right Move? https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent.html It may help as they're quite popular in the UK for looking for properties

There's actually a long term one up on there in Belfast: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-46719077.html Just a heads up
                    Yes, thank you, I have that one on the list of sites too. I have about 2-3 viewings set up a day. We do actually apply for two contracts. We just have to keep doing it till one of the owners picks us. If we could use both incomes it would greatly help, but I can't. I have to wait to get married and get my residence card before I can move here, so tenant agreement for me. We be looking at doing a double deposit pretty soon, anything to get one.
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I rest my case (from a few posts up) - you got this!

Comment

Frak. lost out on first house. We are however out of hotels now and in a decent short term let for a few days.
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Glad to hear things are looking up for you! Hang in there, you're almost there!

sigpic

Comment

I'm really glad things are looking up for you. Like the others said, don't try to do too much at once. You don't want to get burned out.

Comment

So, we went and talked to his work, if they are content with my resume they will offer me a job after we get married. We now have another house we are applying for tomorrow, this time with a guarantor. He asked me to marry him yesterday. We are getting more used to the area and finding more places we like and the people here are beyond friendly. It is now starting to feel like this will be home. We both don't even remember why we were so miserable a few weeks ago. I am hoping for a late November early December wedding in Gibraltar.
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X