He's Perfect for Me... But I Can't Have Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's Perfect for Me... But I Can't Have Him

I hope you guys are ready for a long story! I'm a writer, so I apologize for the verbosity. If you read it, I really appreciate it.

I planned a trip to Italy this winter partly to visit a former roommate, who is studying for her masters in Rome. As I was fine-tuning my Italian plans, she suggested I Couchsurf in the other cities. She said that many of her friends used the site and it's a great way to meet nice, local people who will show you their cities. She actually met her current boyfriend that way, because she traveled Italy for a month last year. I connected with one Couchsurfer host in Milan who was very friendly. Since this was his first time hosting, we Skyped, and both felt an instant click. I knew he was attractive, but I also knew that I get along with so many people. All I knew was that I felt good about staying with him. He began checking in with me often on Facebook and our connection grew over those next two weeks. When I had the opportunity to cancel my Milan flight and go straight to Rome, I resisted. Something in my gut told me I had to meet this guy in Milan, so I went.

D picked me up at the train station in late January. He was one of the most hospitable people I've ever met. And I've never had someone treat me with such respect and give me so much personal space. He was the most respecting, least sleazy man I'd ever met. Though he was intensely focused on his work, he took his first vacation days in a year, devoting his full attention to me and my happiness in his city. After three days together, 24/7, we found ourselves connecting on music tastes, sense of humor, sharing coffee, cooking together, dining out, site-seeing, having aperitivo, visiting his office, drinking wine, staying up till the wee hours watching Woody Allen movies, running together through the snow to catch a train, bonding over our equally sensitive and introspective insights on the world, and constantly laughing our asses off. At the end of the third day, despite the strangeness of the situation, we really could not deny how much we liked each other. We held hands that night, and finally kissed in the morning, just before I had to go to the airport. It was intense and electric, but I believed I'd never see him again.

I went to Rome and we kept texting like typical lovers, although I took a lot of personal space to site-see (sans a reliable connection) and D apparently spent a lot of time wrestling with his new feelings for me. He told he ultimately decided he couldn't deny his heart, and told me he had to see me again. We made plans to meet in Florence. He called me on the phone and we talked like high schoolers. It was the warmest, most compatible connection I've ever had with a man. A week later, when I saw him in Florence, we had what was hands down the most wonderful 24 hours of my life. We laughed and played like children in the streets and cafes of Florence. We spent the night in a B&B, loving on each other and creating an incredibly intimate bond. We had breakfast while looking at each other with intense adoration and divine nervousness about what all of this meant. When he left me at the bus stop, we were clinging to each other with fire in our eyes. As he walked to his train, we kept them locked on each other.

Then I went to Paris. But he and I continued to talk constantly. Cheerful, exhilarating, effusive: it felt like the best connection of my life. He excitedly suggested plans for me to travel with him that summer. D said we'd go to London, Germany, the Adriatic Sea. He sent me an itinerary for traveling with me in the U.S. We were both ecstatic. When I came back to Milan five days later, we spent two more beautiful days together, losing complete track of time and the hours, caught up in each others' eyes and lips and faces and limbs and hair in the intoxicating way the early seedlings of love overtake you like an ocean. We took a bath together. We held hands and kissed in the streets. We ate gelato. He held me adoringly. We stopped short to ogle the same store windows. We admired public art. He kissed my forehead on the metro. We stood and stared at each other for a 15-minute train ride, not speaking, just locking eyes intensely, as tears streamed down my face. Twice at home, he crawled to me on his knees in submission, kissing me like some great lover in a film saying, "no woman ever has this effect on me." This was a man who, two weeks before had been distant and consumed by work, and now seemed free as a bird and consumed by his feelings for me. He told me he'd never felt so accepted for who he was by a woman in his life, that he'd never felt more himself or better in a woman's company. I felt the same way for him. If someone had told me I could never return home, and had to stay with him forever, I would have agreed.

He lodged with me in my airport hotel, and we both cried many cries. He told me if I lived in Italy, we would be in a relationship. He gave me a T-shirt with his cologne. I sprayed my perfume on his pillow. We clung to each other in the hotel lobby with the dark cold morning outside the door, and we kissed each other as many times as we could, as if no one was around. We looked anxiously at the shuttle bus driver, looking for cues that I had to leave, and stole as many kisses as possible as we raced against time. D looked me in the eyes as I cried, telling me, "I want you to know that everything you are feeling; I am feeling the same thing."

Leaving was hard, but not as hard as I thought. We had a few of those desperate, "come back" texts to each other, but more than anything, I felt absolute elation. After 29 years, I had finally found a man who proved to me what I should feel in a relationship. The mutual respect, the admiration, the compatibility, the peacefulness, the passion, the attraction, the transcendent intimacy, the shared humor, the common interests. I flew back to America happy that I had found him, and sure that he was better for me than anyone I'd known before.

For two weeks, we continued to talk about when we'd see each other next. We Skyped only once, but cemented the overwhelming nature of our connection and attraction to each other. We spoke of how much we missed each other. The loneliness. The scents that lingered. As time marched on, we shared the most personal stories, tales from the darkest corners of our past. He responded with great maturity and caring, impressing me beyond my wildest dreams. He told me things that he'd never told anyone in his life. D said he trusted me implicitly, and that I understood his heart more than anyone on this earth. That I knew him better than his childhood friends. On a truly busy night, at 1 a.m. for him, he still made time to speak with me on the phone for an hour about a problem I had with a friend. He was amazing. Another Friday night, he came home from a concert and talked with me until 6 a.m. All in all, we've exchanged 20,000 Facebook messages.

But after about 3.5 weeks, I watched him slowly lose faith. I listened to talk about seeing each other as a nebulous possibility, rather than a guarantee. Then I watched him disappear into work, a startup company that he had launched six months before, which was suddenly—and almost simultaneously with my departure—skyrocketing to success. The demands of his work and his professional passions are consuming him. He's on a high now, finally living a purpose he'd been dreaming about for 31 years. He is currently the most confident of his life, especially after our time together, because he never felt more accepted for who he was. The confirmation of my acceptance and adoration for him certainly helped his self esteem, so there's a part of me that wishes I could take it back. Now he's in this tunnel vision phase, completely focused on this business he cannot let go. The ball he cannot drop. I'm afraid I feel like an impossible situation, and the more I am out of sight, out of mind, and not in his life in Milan, the more he can let me go. The more he can just dive into dalliances with other women who have geography on their side. He suggested we be friends to make it easier, and I've had to stop clinging to him. I've watched the conversations change, as he has slowly faded away.

It's now been five weeks since I returned home, and though I have resumed my own active, social life full of freelance work, I sit here depressed and empty, afraid I am forgettable, and that I was not as great an impact on his life as he was on mine. He changed my whole view about men and the possibilities for love that could exist in this life. I have to let him go, and the reasons for that feel so cruel and unusual, since if I was in Italy, this could have progressed normally.

I guess the reason I'm posting this here is to ask, is this the way most long-distance relationships go? Do people only get into long-distance relationships because the connection is so incredibly strong, but STILL lose their lovers due to the difficulty? How hard is it for a connection like this to survive, and does it require two parties without huge passions in their respective lives? Does it normally fade this quickly? Is it more indicative of a false connection, or just a lack of bravery? I wonder if he wasn't so consumed with work and funneling money into a new business, if he'd make an effort to grow this. Is it possible he'll ever come back around? Does it take a very special person to be willing to date long distance, and is he not the type? Is there something desperate about me because I am willing? I do want love, ideally in my same town, but I've never met anyone like D, and I'm not sure I ever will. It's going to take a long time to pick up the pieces from this, and when I'm 89, I'm afraid I'll still be dreaming about that beautiful man I knew in Italy.

I don't know about most long distance relationships, I only know mine. We also met while I was on holiday. We too struggled with the when can we meet and how can this work type of thing. We met again after nine weeks, a rather spontanous trip from my side. But before that, I bought him a smart phone! We needed it to stay in touch. I still don't understand how I managed the money... We both lead busy lives. We want to be together, so we manage. He is not much of a talker, in the beginning we only wrote on Skype. He had a period with hard studies where I felt he was uncommitted, after I brought it up everything got better. We have had rough patches, and I have been so mad or sad because of him that I have cried . But I really think we are a good match. He is my hobby now, all my extra money goes to him and our relationship. We have been together one and a half year. His best friend is in a long distance relationship that started on a holiday six years ago, they have a baby and have started the process for fiance visa/family reunion.

It is shocking to meet someone you really like and when you are together it is easy to promise all. Afterwords it can feel a little like a dream. You still don't know how to include it onto your daily life, with Skype calls, plans for visits etc. And there is so much you don't know about each other yet. But dont give up just yet. It could be that he remember your time together, too, and will come around if he realizes that the hurt and the joy is because of caring for you. Long distance is not for everyone, but we don't know unless we try. I found I had to change a bit to be able to deal, to ease up on wanting to plan everything because detailed planning is just not possible. After I managed to have faith in that everything will work out, even if I don't know exactly how, it became much easier to live this lifestyle.
    Last edited by differentcountries; March 20, 2015, 06:55 PM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I attempted to have an LDR with some-one that had said they were not sure it would work, and I and we decided to try it any-way because the regret of not knowing and the 'what if'; it did not end well however. for us the connection we felt over the distance, did not translate to being compatible for a relationship - especially one over the same sort of distances you mention. For some they work, for other's they don't... without knowing the person, the details and the circumstances, no-one can answer your questions.

tbh it sounds like you are way overthinking things though, the guy has got his own business that is just taking off, and he needs to get his head round that - if it is his life's work that is pretty important, and it has only been 5 weeks. If you mean as much as he said to you, then he will still be there once his work settles, it is not as if he is not talking to you, but right now he has new drive - do not resent him that, and get involved in it if you want to feel connected to him.

That said, arrange a time to talk with him about all your questions, he is the only one that can answer the wider ranging ones you have. It sounds also like you have self esteem issues a bit, if you believe you are worth it, then you are just that. If he doesn't want your love, then move on after you heal, and find some-one that is worthy of you and your feelings. This might just be a holiday romance, or it might be more, but stop questioning it a bit, and live it either way the cookie crumbles I say

Comment

Firstly, welcome to LFAD! It's difficult in a sense to answer your questions because every relationship is unique and different, but there are sometimes reoccurring themes. "Most" long distance relationships vary. I believe recent stats do show that more LDR's are successful than failures. Long distance is definitely VERY difficult but it is completely possible with commitment from both partners. It can be difficult for a connection to survive, but that depends on the individuals. It's also completely possible to have two people with huge passions in their respective lives have successful long distance relationships. It sounds as though he is fairly busy with this new business, which is understandable. It's important for you to communicate with him and let him know how you feel. You should talk about what you want out of the relationship, what you need and what you expect to ensure you are both on the same page. It really all boils down to communication and figuring out what works for the two of you. I don't think it takes a "special person" to be willing to date long distance, I think it just takes a special connection, which it seems you two have.
        I wish you two the best!

Comment

I would suggest that if you spend some time reading through the threads on this site, you'll understand LDR's much better. None of your questions can be definitively answered as all relationships, LDR's or CDR's, are different, but you'll get an idea what it's like and how many different couples handle them. Good luck.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

You know the only thing I can really add to the others is that LDRs, especially international ones, can be scary at times. There is a lot to lose and give up if it's successful. That is scary, and it should be. It helps keep people grounded through the process.

I would suggest if he's not going to be open and forthcoming with you, it might be you need to put this behind you. Doubts like you expressed I think are completely normal, but the thing you need to watch is whether you're chasing him and pressuring him into something he's not ready for or can't handle.

If someone can't do an LDR this is not a failure on anyone's part. They're not for the weak of heart. I wouldn't chalk it up to a lack of bravery, but I would compare it to the craziest trust fall you've ever contemplated. Mine early on expressed concern about the distance. I now have in my hot little hand an $1100 nonrefundable airplane ticket in his name and am nursing my little broken heart back to health. My trust fall landed me on my butt lol

If he can't wrap his head around it, don't push him into it. International is scary stuff, worth it though for the right situations. You're surrounded right now by TONS of success stories
            "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far; you're amazing and clearly much more positive than me! I'm amazed at the comfort you've already offered me just today. There are truly beautiful souls in the world.

I want to respond to a few things. DifferentCountries, you're right that it feels like a dream. And the more it feels like a dream to me, the more I fear the memories will disappear and lose importance for him—if they haven't already. I am probably operating from a place of fear, because I met this guy who I felt like was so great for me, and I was so afraid to lose him. That's why I was crying so much in Milan, but he handled it so very well. He's not afraid of my emotions, he just doesn't want to overpromise. I have found great solace today in a quote from Maya Angelou: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” It's something that I need to have faith in, because with him being 5,000 miles from me, what I do and say cannot have very large impact; all I can hope is that the way I made him feel resonated, and if it did not resonate with him, there were no possibilities there to begin with, nothing to lose. I realize a relationship is two people interacting with each other; it is not one-sided. I cannot "lose" him or a relationship with him if the foundation was never laid for one or he doesn't want to participate. Now, I just have to chill the F out and have faith that our time in Italy was real for him. If not, then life does go on, and I have a new standard to compare future dates to as I determine relationship potential with them.

p_b82, you are right that I WAYYYY overthink things. It's my worst quality. Everyone who knows me well says this. I manage my daily life pretty well in a calm, relaxed way (I have a very high-stress job that I handle well and I have to manage a lot of relationships and personalities), and I don't have any actual anxiety or depression, but my overactive mind and neurosis will probably be the death of me. Situations like this just make it go into overdrive. Also, I truly appreciate your caring and thoughtful way of calling me out on that. You are right that I'm operating from a place of low self-esteem at this moment; I think I currently feel rejected and am just licking my wounds. Though it's normal with breakups, perhaps I should be better at cutting ties with more immediacy. I generally operate from a place of much higher self esteem, and enjoy my life a great deal. For what it's worth, I am talking to a few new guys, but I don't want date too soon, as I don't want to hurt anyone if my head's not in the game.

Sarah96, thank you for saying you think we have a special connection!! ^_^ It's a very affirming thing to hear somebody else say that, because I'm beginning to feel like it was all a dream and I was some naive American traveler, though in my heart I know that's not the case. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any relationship right now to communicate my needs about to him ; I'm just going to give him space (we are not talking as much now) to figure out what he needs to. I know that he said he wants to be there for me and know about my life, so that's all we'll have for the foreseeable future. I'm just working on getting to a place where it doesn't make me want to cry when I think about the loss of our intimacy and a future I was optimistically envisioning. Every day is a challenge to live more in the present, so I don't sabotage myself by fixating too much on the future. It works for career ambitions, but not for romantic ones.

Moon, thank you. I suspect I'll need a little TLC over the next few weeks, and I look forward to finding comfort in the stories of others who have found success. Men are men are men... I realize they need time to figure out what they want and I know they prioritize things differently than women. He'll come around one day if it's meant to be, or perhaps we'll both find new loves by then. Only time will tell, but the time for me and D is clearly not now. I'm sad but I'll survive. Thanks, everyone, for allowing me to whine.

Comment

Merlin Kitty, thank you so much. I'm so sorry to hear it sounds like you had a recent breakup of your LDR?? I don't know your story, but I will read your posts to see. I know that LDRs are not for the weak of heart, phew! I came home from Italy so energized by this, I knew that unbridled optimism and faith was the only thing that could make this work, because not trying guaranteed failure. But of course, I can't be the only one trying!

You're right about watching whether I'm chasing him or pressuring him. I've had to check myself on that a few times. Instincts about these things do not come naturally to me, and about 4.5 years ago, I started reading and studying and reteaching myself how to not do those things with men (how to not try to be the "driver" of the relationship). I get a little bit better with every dating relationship, but I am still learning. I think I probably did pressure D a little bit at first; I was probably reacting to his change in behavior (going from sending me itineraries to talking about "maybes"). My subconscious self freaked out a bit, but I checked myself. In more recent weeks, I was telling him I was just happy to be talking and sharing, and that was enough. Our last talk about this was about how I needed to kinda let go of what I was clinging to from Milan and start dating other people again. He acknowledges he doesn't have the resources, time and money right now to offer me more. He "cannot make promises from where he is." Of course, I understand that. Neither can I. I told him I was glad for what we had together in Italy but that it doesn't require anything more, and wanted to try my best live in the present. He's been sweet about it and checking in on me a bit. He told me he wants to continue knowing all my hopes and dreams and thoughts. I think he cares but only has a limited capacity to give right now. The best thing I can do is move on with my life and stay his friend, if it feels right. He'll come around one day if his future experiences teach him that what we had was the real deal. Or maybe we'll both just move on from here.

Comment

Instincts about this didn't come naturally to me either You spend a little time blindly fumbling but you begin to sort something out that works I'll make it easy for you and post the breakdown I had here for you I started it as an anonymous thread so it will harder for you to find. You won't be able to comment or anything since you've just signed up, but you should be able to see it and what a complete jerk he was at the end lol

You know the one thing I think is really nice about LDRs is that you can go slow. And I think the more time you take, the less freaked out both parties become, and the more time you have to adjust what it is you're actually proposing. I mean it is truly daunting when you start looking at your possessions going "okay, is this something I can keep?" Mine was an international as well. Really really good up to a point, and that's where all the threads you see about communication come in I think the ones I've seen implode the quickest or I see the most angst from are those that meet and within weeks or even months are already trying to fast forward to close the distance. While that in person time is irreplaceable, they can also be accomplished with mutual visits.

I think one of the lessons I'm taking from this experience is, while there should be some forward momentum in all relationships (CDR or LDR), that there shouldn't be one party or the other doing all the pursuing. I think this is a mistake I've made in many relationships, but something I've hoped I've learned.

That may be true about his limitations as far as what he has to give right now. He's got a lot on his plate. Going from zero to 60 in a relationship that's obviously going to cost time and money can make people go "whoa!" and take a step back But keep the connection there, keep your eyes open where you are. If given time, things change, try a mutual trust fall You know when it works out, I see the people on here who's gotten through it, and I know it's been worth it

https://members.lovingfromadistance....hlight=thought
                  "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

It can go all sorts of ways. Some of us close the distance, some of us are still together for years of LDRs, some break up. There is no guarantee, but you have to both want it equally and fight for it, just as in any relationship. LDRs just have to deal with distance and time apart as well and so we learn to jump more hurdles.
                    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I would love a little bit of advice if anyone cares to give it, as I have a sort of update.

It's been a week since D and I spoke about trying to be friends. He checked in on me for a few days but the last message I sent to him was kind of lackadaisical; he has not responded since then, perhaps because of my tone. I realize we are probably just giving each other time to let the feelings die down. I guess we'll be friends eventually.

I had a great weekend where I was reconnecting with myself and loved ones. I got a mixed bag of advice. One friend said I should reach back out to him NOW and try to keep some simple conversations going, while my instincts tell me to just leave him COMPLETELY ALONE if that's what he seems to want; that he'll come back 'round if he's interested in talking or missing me. She said that after reestablishing our rapport, I should ask him how he would feel about me coming to visit. Don't assume he will say no, but just let him answer. If he says no, ask him if he is sure. It just seems like everything all at once, so fast. My instincts tell me this is not the time to push it.

I realize in D's mind, this is an impossible situation (for many reasons, including where he is with his life and work). But I know he has no clue I would actually consider moving to Italy (and not just for him!). I just like the idea of having a new adventure; I've always been this way. And I wonder, if he knew that was a possibility, if he'd be more open to talking about us. But maybe if he cared enough, he'd just ask me, "would you ever consider moving?" He did ask me once, "what if i moved to the U.S.? How happy would that make you?" And I said, "of course I'd love having you around, but I understand that your life is in Italy." There were many times when he joked about opening a branch of his company in my city and I think that, at least for the first couple weeks upon my return home, he was still open to the idea of moving forward in a life with me. Now I'm afraid he's just writing it off as an impossibility, partially because he knows it's "his turn" to visit me, and he knows it's impossible for him to leave for a few weeks when his business is taking off like this. So he writes everything off. Shuts off these emotions. And I'm afraid to ask him these questions, because I don't want him to feel pressured. I'm being a romantic, but he's being a realist. It's not jiving.

The other thing is, even if I did go visit him later in the year, I know he'd be happy to have me there, but I worry if he'd even be present with me. He'd still be worrying about what he has to do with his business and worrying about the next time I left, how hard THAT would be, and how he'd need to intercept the pain of another goodbye by holding back. My instincts simply tell me that beyond this distance, this is not the right time for him.

But I don't want him to forget me (over the next months or years). Some other friends said I should stay in touch with him mildly, give him a few months of space, but check in with him occasionally. Try to keep the interactions positive. They said in a few months, I should ask him how he'd feel about me coming to town, and if he's opposed to it, then I'll have the answer I need.

I want to give him space for several reasons: he wants it/needs it, plus I'm in so deep with my feelings now. I need the space too since he's in no position to launch into a relationship (yet). I need to focus on loving myself right now. But I worry about the connection we had. If I let our communication and connection fade, he'll no longer feel romantic about me in the future, and I'll lose the feelings I had once for him. I say this because it's happened with other ex-boyfriends, and it sucks, because I've had a few wait a year or more than try to get back together, but by that point I simply cannot muster the feelings anymore.

With D, he was so special to me. He was so perfect a fit for what I was looking for in a man. I wonder how I can keep this alive while allowing us both the space we need...

Comment

MerlinKitty,

I read your post, and you're right that I don't have permission to comment, so I am commenting here. Your guy does sound like he has a LOT of issues to work through before he's ready for a relationship. I don't think it's that he doesn't care for you, but that he doesn't know how to love and commit to a woman properly at this phase in his life. It's like his head is constantly spinning and he's taking that out on you. And he shows emotional immaturity by spewing insults like this. I imagine it does not make you feel very good. And when a man makes us not feel good, the best things we can do for ourselves is extract ourselves from the bad behavior. Of course, sometimes it's what a guy's "not doing," rather than "doing" that makes us feel so shitty, and what they're not doing is harder to dissect or come up with explanations for. The most simple way to look at it is, when it's the right time, the right two people, the right mindset, the right resources, and the right level of maturity for both, then pursuing a relationship is possible. But it's a complicated cocktail and difficult to find. Maybe that's why we're all pursuing LDRs here; we know how hard it is to find something that feels right. I would give you the same advice I'm giving myself and others are giving me about this situation: Give him some space. Once (or if) he acquires some clarity, he may sheepishly reach out. Respond to any of his positive behaviors with positive affirmation. Make sure he knows that the positives are what resonate with you, and if he begins to display bad behaviors again, then ignore them until you decide, FOR YOURSELF, that it's time to simply ignore him again, because he's not giving you what you need. In the meantime, keep dating and see if you can find someone else he demonstrates himself to be a better catch than your guy, and try not to stay too attached to the idea of him as your one and only (again, I'm talking to myself here, and easier said than done). Like most of my friends are telling me, it's highly likely you'll find a better match close to home, but be patient and see how life unfolds. Just don't let him come into your life again if he begins hurting you or treating you badly again. Only allow him in if he's treating you like the lovely, wonderful person deserving of respect and admiration that you are.

Comment

I don't know... My SO like your SO went out strong. He wanted to grow old with me after two weeks, and what not. But he was also scared. I realize looking back that I did a lot of the convinzing work to get SO to date me/believe in us, I even counter-qouted Paulo Coelho back to him (I spent an entire night re-reading the book just to find the right quote)! SO also works crazy hours and it is not even his business...

It sounds liked both of you are a little trigger happy with emotions. Perhaps he is looking to see your responsable side, like you are able to invest but not all your chickens on the first day... Don't talk to him about relocation when you are not even together, that will just scare him. Be sound and sensible. Yes, you can visit but not to propose to him.
                          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Thank you, DifferentCountries. It's weird, because I just had a friend check in with me an hour ago and ask how I was doing. He said I sound much better. Then he proceeded to tell me about a woman he met about 10 years ago during some travels of his own. They spent 10 full days together and it was magical, and like D, he is a bit of an emotional type of guy. He said that for the first week or so, he felt very sad, but once he got back into his busy day-to-day work, he let go. She was also still at university at the time, and he was 10 years older than she. In the same way that D's business adds another complicating factor to our association, that age difference created another barrier. There are so many barriers to forging a relationship like this, and I'm still not sure if it takes a certain personality type or a certain connection. Advice columnists always say, "A man will move mountains for the woman he loves; you won't have to wonder how he feels." But at the same time, I know D. I know how he refused to make the first move on me, and he told me later, that he's always been that way with girls. A girl has to make him feel like SHE wants it. SHE wants him. I want to find a way to let D know I still care about him and won't forget about him, without being too pushy. He'll never want to invest in me if he doesn't feel like it COULD be true love. For this reason, I can't ever blow him off or be too casual with him; he'll assume it's just a "whatever" thing and then REALLY be willing to write it off. So I'm wrestling a lot with how to handle it... giving him tons of space, or keeping in touch. I go back and forth as to what's the right tactic.

As for my friend, he said he looks back on that girl who was in university in a foreign country. He says he thinks of it as a magical memory and he does not have any regrets OR imagine any "what ifs." I ask myself if maybe their connection was simply not strong enough. Or if both were too fixated on their respective lives to give it a go. I wonder how strong a connection must be for something like this to work. My mind wonders about everything, all the time. With my friend, he missed his girl less once he returned to his routine. I don't want to believe D would let go of us that easily, but if he does, maybe it means he never saw it as more than a tryst with a traveler. I wanted to be more than that to him, as he was more than that to me, but there's no way to make another person see the world the same way as you.

....sorry for so much thinking out loud. I think I will attempt to visit D some day, but only once I'm able to do so in a more unattached way, more so as friends. We'll probably get physical with each other, but maybe by then we'll have enough (emotional) distance to let it be just that. When we were last together, there were SO MANY unknowns hanging over us. Only if we keep it light and casual, will we be able to discover naturally, organically, if the romance is still there. It will only happen if we're able to spend time together again in person, though. I have to figure out a way to make that happen (for both of our sakes, and for the sake of honoring our story) without hanging all my hopes on what I want or expect to happen. I have to get to a place where I don't hope for or expect ANYTHING. Only once I get to that emotional place will I be in the right frame of mind to hang out with him again. I just hope by the time I become that detached, I'll still care to see him... Maybe that will be the true test if what we had was real or not.

The last time we talked, D did say he always wants to be there for me, to know my hopes and dreams and thoughts and goals. I feel the same about him. We just have to actually communicate with each other at some point to be able to do that, haha. I believe in love, in its many shapes and forms. I want him to always feel that love from me... beyond his own potential (future) epiphanies about me, that's the only way he'll know it was real. I want him to believe. I want to believe.

Comment

Also, who is Paulo Coelho? I'd love to know what book you mention!

Also, I want to say how sweet you are for providing moral support to me, a stranger. I know I'm super nostalgic right now. Hopefully I can return to this forum at some point with a more rational point of view (and possibly a great relationship) and be the one providing support to yourself and others. I really hope so.
                              Last edited by SouthernGirl_BigWorld; March 23, 2015, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X