Speaking for a Listener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking for a Listener?

So a recent thing I've been pondering is the Skype calls -few as they have been lately due to a busted laptop- that we have or have had. Our conversations are often one-sided because he's so quiet, but my social anxiety usually makes me worry that I'm boring him or not interesting him. He swears that isn't it, but that he's always been better at listening than talking.
    My question is whether or not anyone has any tips for me to be a better talker for my listener? If that makes any sense?

I think if he already said you don't bore him, than you need to believe him since he seems to think what you are doing now is fine. However, if you want to be a better talker, maybe you can find more things to actually talk about, which would possibly get him more involved. Ask each other about things that you don't know about the other person, even if it's the smallest thing and you think it's silly, it could easily begin other conversations, or it could remind you of stories or memories and experiences you've had that would allow you to talk about them while he listens. If you need ideas just do a quick google search. You'd be surprised how much you can talk about when you're given the topics to discuss

Comment

My so isn't much of a talker and I always end up rambling to over compensate, it's frustrating sometimes but I'm working on note taking it personally

Comment

well, I can say I'm more of a listener than a talker. But we get along pretty well, sometimes we don't need to talk about anything serious, only nonsense and silly things. We can show random clips we thought was funny and discuss them, watch movies and discuss them. Though I have to mention that our talkings comes quite natural, nothing forced. But we can have long conversations about what we've been doing today, what we're doing right now, what if he would be there, what we would have been doing then. Places to go to, favourite places on earth. And many topics involves us, so we can give our voices, having a convesation "If you do so, I would...", "But then! Then I would like to do... instead" and so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah96 View Post
          I think if he already said you don't bore him, than you need to believe him since he seems to think what you are doing now is fine. However, if you want to be a better talker, maybe you can find more things to actually talk about, which would possibly get him more involved. Ask each other about things that you don't know about the other person, even if it's the smallest thing and you think it's silly, it could easily begin other conversations, or it could remind you of stories or memories and experiences you've had that would allow you to talk about them while he listens. If you need ideas just do a quick google search. You'd be surprised how much you can talk about when you're given the topics to discuss
          True, I have been working on finding stuff to talk about.

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
          My so isn't much of a talker and I always end up rambling to over compensate, it's frustrating sometimes but I'm working on note taking it personally
          That's the same exact thing I do, it's so awkward for me.

Originally posted by Lycka View Post
          well, I can say I'm more of a listener than a talker. But we get along pretty well, sometimes we don't need to talk about anything serious, only nonsense and silly things. We can show random clips we thought was funny and discuss them, watch movies and discuss them. Though I have to mention that our talkings comes quite natural, nothing forced. But we can have long conversations about what we've been doing today, what we're doing right now, what if he would be there, what we would have been doing then. Places to go to, favourite places on earth. And many topics involves us, so we can give our voices, having a convesation "If you do so, I would...", "But then! Then I would like to do... instead" and so.
          I may have to see if I can gather up a conversation like that.

Comment

Working...
          X