Time Zones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Zones

How do all of you guys manage the annoying time zone differences that come with international LDRs?

My boyfriend and I Skype each other for 20 mins as we get ready for school in the morning and have an hour or so to talk on weekends.

We're 14 hours apart. (Ottawa, Canada to Tokyo, Japan)

My OH is very much a night owl, whilst I am not really. He is currently 5.5 hours ahead and we tend to message over the day and speak on the phone for an hour or so at night. If he wasn't such a night owl, I don't know what we would do.

Comment

We're 10 hours 30 minutes apart. Sometimes it can be frustrating finding time, but on average we make do and the time difference doesn't clash too much. I typically stay up late anyway, and by late I mean 4-5am. That provides us with extra talking time. We get more time on weekends, as we both don't have work, so this is when we usually Skype. We manage 3-5 hours, depending on when he wakes up and how late I stay up. During the week, our talking time decreases but we manage. He's at work when I should be asleep, and when I'm at work he's asleep. It's when we're both awake, we get a few hours in before one of us has to work/sleep. It took us awhile to work out a system, as our circumstances have often changed; he was unemployed when we met, so we talked 12-16 hours a day. When he got a job, it changed that by half, sometimes less on some occasions. My work shifts have also changed a few times, and they've sometimes clashed with his own which left an hour or two short of talking time. If I slept at a reasonable time, I don't think we'd manage too well.

Comment

Luckily, bae and I are only 6 hours apart (he is ahead of me). When he wasn't in the military, he would often be up very late, and he went to sleep even after I did, so it kinda worked out for us that way. Now that he's in the army, it isn't just his new sleeping habits that limit our time to talk - but he and I find time whenever we can and we're making it work. 14 hours apart is tough - good luck and I hope you keep it going
        We First Met On: December 27, 2015
        We First Started Dating On: January 1, 2016
        First Meeting: March 18 to March 26, 2016
        Second Meeting: June 17 to September 25, 2016
        Third Meeting: December 20, 2016 to January 3, 2017
        He Left For The Army: January 3, 2017
        Next Meeting: April 7 to April 15, 2017

Comment

SO and I are 7-8 hours apart. I've gotten used to it, but that doesn't mean I like it. If he didn't work night shifts, I don't know where we'd be.

Comment

You're lucky you're only five hours. Ours is 19 unfortunately.
            But we Facetime every day after my shift (and will be before my shift when I start on the late one), text during the day and then of course talk any time on the weekends.
            Met Online: 1998
            Relationship began: January 2017

FIRST MEETING: June 2017
            SECOND MEETING: October 2017

Comment

Originally posted by rache82 View Post
              You're lucky you're only five hours. Ours is 19 unfortunately.
              But we Facetime every day after my shift (and will be before my shift when I start on the late one), text during the day and then of course talk any time on the weekends.
              Umm... Do you realise that 19 hours is technically the same as 5 hours difference?

Comment

Hey very true and I realised that after I'd posted it, so yes.
                Met Online: 1998
                Relationship began: January 2017

FIRST MEETING: June 2017
                SECOND MEETING: October 2017

Comment

My bf and I are 6 hours apart with him being ahead. Some weeks it's not fun but some work quite well. He works swing shifts (one week days, the next evenings and the next midnights. Then the cycle repeats). So the weeks he works afternoons we get yo spend all the time together but midnights and days can be hard to work out. I also have Wednesdays off so we get to have quality time then as well.

Comment

My SO and I are also 14 hours apart and we usually call one another on discord (kind of like Skype but since we're gamers, we use that) for at least three hours, usually more. I would usually talk to my SO at night (my side) while he works as a receptionist since the job allows him to do so, and then sometimes in my mornings which would be night time on his side.

Looking for the future...

First Meeting: March 20 2016
                    Got separated: August 2016
                    Reunion: July 2017
                    Officially together: January 2018
                    ... And many meetings later ...

Comment

My boyfriend and I are, 16 hours apart. When its 4 in the afternoon here, it's 8 am the next day. It does get hard sometimes to talk, it also makes me miss him when we don't get to talk as much as we used to.

Comment

Do people realise the maximum you can actually be apart is 12hours? A 16hour difference is the same as an 8hr one.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                          Do people realise the maximum you can actually be apart is 12hours? A 16hour difference is the same as an 8hr one.
                          I have always wondered. I mean saying "16 hours" is more precise when you need the dates as well. Like when you celebrate Valentine's or something, 16 hours can be trickier than 8.

But when it comes to talking about the time difference itself? I have no clue why people do that

Comment

Originally posted by C.C. View Post
                            I have always wondered. I mean saying "16 hours" is more precise when you need the dates as well. Like when you celebrate Valentine's or something, 16 hours can be trickier than 8.

But when it comes to talking about the time difference itself? I have no clue why people do that
                            True, I suppose for holidays with fixed dates it can make a difference but for every day talking it makes no difference at all. It's like I could either say I live 1 mile from the nearest shop or 24900 miles, depending on which way round the Earth I went.

Comment

My lady and me have a 6-7 hour time difference (due to summer and winter time shift - in November we shift the clock one hour back, in and March we shift it forward). She's ahead of me. We find enough time, she likes to get up early, and I stay up late. During day time, since I am home all day, we also have a nice time to chat (after I woke up).
                              Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X