Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some advice/reassurance

Hi guys!

So this is my first post, after spending the day at work worrying myself into oblivion I decided to seek out the help of people in a similar position to myself (hopefully!).

I have been with my SO for nearly a year now. He lives in CA and I live in London, UK. Since January I have been going once a month, for around a week at a time to see him in CA.

Recently, we have had a bit of a bad time, he tried to come back to the UK with me but was denied entry because they thought he was going to overstay the visitor visa and wasn’t a genuine tourist. It was an absolutely horrific ordeal where I spent 13 hours in Gatwick airport just sobbing by myself- ANYWAY.

That was around a month ago, and we’ve healed a little from the experience and as a couple we have never been stronger- however, since that incident I’ve bougnt myself a ticket back to CA for this Friday. Now, I’ve never had any issues entering the US before but now my SO has been denied entry I’m panicking a little to say the least.

I’ve printed out bank statements, work payslips, I’ve got 3 letters- one from my director at work stating I’m full time employed with salary details, one from one of my team members (I’m his manager) and one from my mum who I currently live with. I’ve also got copies of all my return flight details and rail return details.

My question is am I being irrational? Is there anything else I should/could bring should border control have any questions?

I’m not sure my heart could take another denied entry!

Please let me know your thoughts!

So sorry to hear about that-- it must have been very stressful for both of you. Unfortunately, getting turned away at the border does happen from time to time, but it's not the end. You seem very prepared and can probably point to your travel history in addition to your ongoing employment (although I'm amazed you're able to take a week off every month). Keep doing what you've been doing because clearly it's been working, but it's always good to be prepared in case they question you further. I'll also point you to Atlantic Crossing's recent post about her experience getting pulled aside for questioning when entering the US.

Now might also be a good time to start discussing how you're going to close the distance if you haven't already, since it may be a bit harder for him to come visit you.

Everyone is scared of US border control... even citizens. :P
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I did have an issue getting through, but I had the foresight to pack a pile of paperwork with me. I tried not to worry too much, as they are just doing their job. I'd never been to the US before, so that would likely have made a difference too. I was lucky to see a nice woman who was very understanding of my situation. She looked at my tickets, and she looked at my consultant's letter that stated I have mental health issues, and I attend regularly for ongoing treatment. She actually recommended that it be added into that letter that I do not rely on any medication. She said that was the main concern regarding mental health issues; whether or not people had enough medication for the length of their stay. Thankfully that is not applicable to me.
      My specific issue was with my ESTA. I had stated that I didn't have mental health issues, because I was worried that would be used against me! Speaking of which, I should do another one before I go back at Christmas to rectify that error on my part. Especially as I have now bought my tickets.

My SO hasn't visited me as yet in Ireland. My plan is to fly to him again next year, then fly back to Ireland together. At the end of 2020, I plan to move back to England. I may well to adopt that same procedure there too for reassurance.
      Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; April 30, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X