Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your significant other has been in the military for a while, please help me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your significant other has been in the military for a while, please help me.

Hello- thanks for clicking this. I could probably use your insight. So... Have a little question for you all (especially some who have been with military men for a while). My guy went to Germany in January after getting out of basic. He will be based there for 2-3 years depending if he reenlists or not. I've caught him in 3 lies this past week. My bf has not been the lying type with me. He went to the field for training for a month and got back to his base on Sunday a seemingly different person. After I caught him in the lies on 3 separate occasions (but all this week) he said he felt he was changing but he didn't know what about him was changing. He said he's been taking me for granted. He hasn't cheated. His friends are all single guys who want to party and have sex.

The big lie was that last night he told me he was going to bed. Well one of his friends posted a picture with him in the background of it and he was clearly not in bed. In Germany, prostitution is legal and one of his friends got a prostitute last night and my bf was hanging around him last night. He did admit to lying to me about where he was and we talked things out today. I want to be optimistic in thinking he meant what he said when he said he wants to put more effort into us. The guy was crying today on the phone with me. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? How do you handle it? How do you handle the distance and maintaining the relationship? One of his friends only talks to his girlfriend on the phone once a week. I brought that up as something for us to try, but he instantly said he didn't want that and he couldn't go the week without talking to me. How do you keep the sense of "we can do this" going? After basic is over, and they go to their duty station and it really sets in that it's "permanent" that he's not coming back home- how do you handle it once that feeling truly sets in? We've talked about marriage, but there are 2 problems with that: A) Our relationship hasn't been established long enough for me to feel secure with the idea of marriage quite yet. and B) I am in college here in the U.S. Any advice to my questions or just advice in general would be awesome as I'm still new to this. Thank you so much reader!!

Agh, I struggled for so many minutes reading this and wanting to give an answer to all of your questions and alas the following was all I felt I could give.

He needs to be honest with you , no more lies otherwise how can you keep trust in each other especially from so far away? How often do you guys communicate? There may often be a week or so where he is going to have to go without you. It sucks but that is the reality of it all. He can make it through just as you can.
    I am glad that you are not rushing into marriage quickly just because of the relationship- many couples do that and divorce within the next year or so.

We all do this because one day it won't be "permanent" but knowing that also requires that you seriously think of in the future moving there. I feel inept to answering all these questions as my SO is not stationed overseas at the moment and that is such a different aspect to the relationship. I am also confused by the questions asked as they seem to contradict each other.
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Don't know how much it'll help but he might just be in a transition period. I know when my boyfriend get off of his sub he's a little off for a bit, because of the isolation he had. Even though he was around a bunch of other guys he's told me straight out "I might be a little weird for a bit while I re-adjust". Or maybe he reflected back on some things that may have gone wrong in the past and he feels bad? Granted, I don't know if you've had issues in your relationship but it's a possibility if you have. Just tell him that you're worried and that you want it to work and talk about what you BOTH have to do to make it work. Him being out with his friends when they're getting prostitutes would (at least in my book) be a boundary. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by jenlee11 View Post
        Don't know how much it'll help but he might just be in a transition period. I know when my boyfriend get off of his sub he's a little off for a bit, because of the isolation he had. Even though he was around a bunch of other guys he's told me straight out "I might be a little weird for a bit while I re-adjust". Or maybe he reflected back on some things that may have gone wrong in the past and he feels bad? Granted, I don't know if you've had issues in your relationship but it's a possibility if you have. Just tell him that you're worried and that you want it to work and talk about what you BOTH have to do to make it work. Him being out with his friends when they're getting prostitutes would (at least in my book) be a boundary. Good luck
        This. Even when my SO would come back from AT for a couple weeks, he was off for a little bit.

Comment

Working...
        X