Emotions or rather lack of please help feeling really depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotions or rather lack of please help feeling really depressed

My boyfriend and I have been together 4 months. We met on skype through a mutual friend. We met January 8th got together on the 15th for me 16th for him and he told me he loved me on the 22nd. Everything was amazing he was super sweet and romantic and that continued even when he came to meet me in person on April 9th. He was here two weeks it was amazing we were both so happy he didn't want to leave my side for anything. April 22nd he went back to Germany and that day everything change he stopped telling me he loved me unless I said it first no longer was romantic even went so far as to say been there done that am bored of it. I expected things to not be so mushy gushy with the honeymoon phase being over but not to completely stop in a 24 hour period. I guess my question is, is this normal? Some have told me yes others say he is cheating and I just don't know. Its breaking my heart not knowing why but don't want to say anything in fear of making it worse.

To me, it seems like you guys rushed into everything so quickly. I don't want to say that he got bored fast, but for some guys, they like that chase. It does seem that the honeymoon phase is over for him, but it's pretty early for that to happen. Did something maybe happen when he went back? Also, if you don't say anything to him about it, he's not going to know how you feel and he'll keep continuing doing what he's doing.

Comment

I feel like we don't have enough details- almost as if something is missing that would help me advise on this question.
      That being said, he may have a hard time coping going from being together to all of a sudden not being together.
      I can't say for sure if in being in the military is necessarily the reason even though it is a possibility, I am going to say no because i don't really know him at all and i don't really feel like we have all the details.
      Edit: i have to agree with whatruckus it does seem a bit rushed, and many times guys get bored easily with women- they are not looking for a serious relationship. But sometimes, the feeling of emotion-less-ness comes as a factor of them being in the military, it really is hard to say.
      Last edited by Unconditional; May 19, 2015, 08:16 PM.
      "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

What do you feel like is missing and I will do my best to answer.

Comment

Like, how exactly has he changed? Did he used to call you every day or text and now he just doesn't? Has he always been stationed in germany?
          "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

He has always been stationed there we have only physically been together 2 weeks out of our relationship. He seems to have emotionally shut down for the most part just isn't romantic anymore always wanted to talk about our future now doesn't would want me to stay on the phone with him when he was sleeping because it helped him now its I don't know if it helps I am sleeping stuff like that.

Comment

I am going through the same thing here. My boyfriend is a cop and when we first started talking he was all romantic and cute and sweet and everything. Then when we became official things started to cool off. He wasn't as sweet as he used to be and he doesn't say I love you unless I say it first. It sucks but I'll say that it's pretty much normal. Just take it as the end of the honeymoon phase. They are different with each relationship and him being in the military can be a factor.

Comment

I have one more question. Riddle me this, does he try to maintain this relationship in any way or show that he cares for you?

Comment

Is he US based? Do you know his MOS (job in the military)? These are factors too. Depending on what he does in the military, it could affect his behavior too. How long has he been in the military? Do you know if he's ever been in combat? Ever seen combat?

I have a reason for those questions, trust me.

My SO and I rushed into our relationship too, but things didn't start cooling off until 6+ months in. We "met" on Plenty of Fish literally on Thanksgiving 2012. Met IRL a week later. Had our first real "date" 2 weeks after meeting IRL. Then, we started dating a week after our "date". So, basically we started dating 4 - 5 weeks after we had initially met on POF and started talking.

He has PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Stress...etc. 85% of it because of the Army and his deployment to Iraq before we even met, the other 15% because of personal tragedies (lost his Dad, Uncle, Mom, and Aunt within 3 years; and how crappy his exes treated him, one in particular). He was Infantry (Grunt). He was in combat many times during his deployment, and got blown up by an IED. I'm telling you this because we found that when he gets the way your SO does, it's always because he's going through a "funk", as we call it, or an "episode". Meaning, something happens in his mind that triggers him to shut down and distance himself from everyone, not just me, except his Army buddies. We really don't know why this happens. It just comes out of "no where". Sometimes it could be his job as a Correction's Officer, sometimes it could be something in the back of his mind, maybe I did something without realizing it, a really bad dream that triggers his anxiety...etc.

I can't even tell you how many of these we've gone through, but two of them were the worst because he almost broke up with me both times. The last bad one, was when he finally realized that his PTSD and whatnot were what was causing him to act the way he did, and feel the way he did. It was also when he started working at the Prison. We even just recently got over a minor one. But, every time he comes out of these, it brings us closer together and he's back to being affectionate and loving, almost 100% the way he was when we first started talking and dating.

This is also why I asked if maybe something happened when he went back to Germany. Maybe something happened in his unit. Do you know what rank he is?

Comment

@whatruckus: I was leaning towards PTSD being somewhat a cause for this as well. It also might not be though it could just be that's all she was to him or something, I'm not sure. Also, ot but, it seems like most PTSD cases I have heard of so far have been mostly from tours in iraq, how weird/interesting/horrid.

@op: he needs to make time to talk about this with you. Plain and simple, otherwise you have no idea what is going on.

Comment

I also wanted to add, if this is in fact part of it...I would advise you to do as much research as you can on military with PTSD. It helped me a WHOLEEEE lot. And, my SO appreciates it. It also helps when I start noticing him getting this way, that I distance myself a little and give him space. Sometimes, that's all he needs.

But, I'm able to pick up on these things better than he is, and better than anyone else. I know when he's starting to get in the funk before he even does. It also helps if you're able to read people. Not just physical behavior, but how they talk to you. I can even tell when my SO is having a bad day from the way he writes to me when we're not together, before he even mentions it.

It's hard for me to say if that is what your SO has, not just because my questions haven't been answered yet, but also because you guys haven't been together for long.

Unconditional, it's pretty much any time they've seen combat, or been in combat. I've read of Vets who don't even have a combat MOS, but have seen gunfire/been in gunfire/seen a humvee get blown up, that have PTSD. Iraq or not. I'm just glad mine doesn't have TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) from the IED, because that would be a-whole-nother can of worms. Like, mine can't even be around fireworks. And, we can't be in a crowded place where he doesn't know anyone for too long. It's crazy. He's hyper aware all the time.
                      Last edited by whatruckus; May 20, 2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Communication. Do you have open communication with him? I sometimes find myself getting in the business of mind-reading and trying to figure out what other people are thinking or feeling, but most of the time open communication helps a great deal.

Do his actions match his words? Do his words match his actions? If not, I would have to trust my gut about what is going on here.

I served in the military. I had some things to sort through, but for the most part when I was distant or aloof, that was on me. Today, if I need space, I ask for space. If I need time, I ask for time. I reassure my partner by telling her when I will contact her after I've taken my time. "It's not a good time to talk right now. I need to think some things over. I will be back to you within a day." Then I get back to her in a day. I keep my word. That's what I do for myself and for my relationship. However, if I am distant and aloof and choose not to talk about it, and do not ever initiate any contact with my partner, then I reap the consequences of being distant and aloof without any communication.

If I were you, I would try opening up communication. I would wait for him to reciprocate initiating contact. I would wait for him to reciprocate telling me that he loves me.

I told my partner that I love her. In response to me telling her that I love her, she told me that she loves me. We had a couple of discussions about it where each of us said we love the other. But, no, we do not say that we love each other every day. In fact, we haven't said it outside of the couple of conversations that we had about how we feel. So, I am waiting for her to reciprocate. When she is comfortable telling me that she loves me before she hangs up the phone, I will reciprocate. Until that day comes, I know how she feels because we've already talked about it. We've had extensive conversations about not rushing things. And I believe that for us to wait until each of us is comfortable with saying I love you before saying goodbye or good night is keeping in line with not rushing things.

One day at a time.
                        Communication.

Edited to add:
                        I read the title of your post again.

You know what? Don't define your self worth by how someone else treats you. The title of your post really makes me think that how you are feeling is dependent on how well someone else treats you. Your life is your life... and it is possible to still have a positive outlook even if you don't have contact (or the kind of contact that you want from your SO). Get out there into the world, do something positive for yourself, meet with friends, color or paint something, write a poem, do something that validates YOU.

For me:
                        I will think things, say things, and do things that make me feel good about myself.

That is all!
                        Last edited by hmrambling; May 20, 2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Whattruckus:
                          Oh no, I know that PTSD happens due to many different things of course. I just wonder if Iraq has more diagnosed cases of PTSD though. Hmm. It's crazy to think about. It's a sad thing to think about really.

Comment

Originally posted by Unconditional View Post
                            Whattruckus:
                            Oh no, I know that PTSD happens due to many different things of course. I just wonder if Iraq has more diagnosed cases of PTSD though. Hmm. It's crazy to think about. It's a sad thing to think about really.
                            I wouldn't be surprised since it's now more "accepted" (?) I guess you could say. It's not as shunned as it was during WWI/WWII/Vietnam. Hell, even the Gulf war it was still "meh" about it.

Comment

Originally posted by hmrambling View Post
                              Communication. Do you have open communication with him? I sometimes find myself getting in the business of mind-reading and trying to figure out what other people are thinking or feeling, but most of the time open communication helps a great deal.

Do his actions match his words? Do his words match his actions? If not, I would have to trust my gut about what is going on here.

I served in the military. I had some things to sort through, but for the most part when I was distant or aloof, that was on me. Today, if I need space, I ask for space. If I need time, I ask for time. I reassure my partner by telling her when I will contact her after I've taken my time. "It's not a good time to talk right now. I need to think some things over. I will be back to you within a day." Then I get back to her in a day. I keep my word. That's what I do for myself and for my relationship. However, if I am distant and aloof and choose not to talk about it, and do not ever initiate any contact with my partner, then I reap the consequences of being distant and aloof without any communication.

If I were you, I would try opening up communication. I would wait for him to reciprocate initiating contact. I would wait for him to reciprocate telling me that he loves me.

I told my partner that I love her. In response to me telling her that I love her, she told me that she loves me. We had a couple of discussions about it where each of us said we love the other. But, no, we do not say that we love each other every day. In fact, we haven't said it outside of the couple of conversations that we had about how we feel. So, I am waiting for her to reciprocate. When she is comfortable telling me that she loves me before she hangs up the phone, I will reciprocate. Until that day comes, I know how she feels because we've already talked about it. We've had extensive conversations about not rushing things. And I believe that for us to wait until each of us is comfortable with saying I love you before saying goodbye or good night is keeping in line with not rushing things.

One day at a time.
                              Communication.

Edited to add:
                              I read the title of your post again.

You know what? Don't define your self worth by how someone else treats you. The title of your post really makes me think that how you are feeling is dependent on how well someone else treats you. Your life is your life... and it is possible to still have a positive outlook even if you don't have contact (or the kind of contact that you want from your SO). Get out there into the world, do something positive for yourself, meet with friends, color or paint something, write a poem, do something that validates YOU.

For me:
                              I will think things, say things, and do things that make me feel good about myself.

That is all!
                              This is very good advice. My SO and I say "I love you" just about every day, me more so. I don't say it to get a reply back, mostly it's just to keep it in his mind. It makes him happy. I agree that you should talk to him about this, in depth more. Because, I do feel it is a bit odd that this is happening so early for you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X