Bright side of LDR's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright side of LDR's!

We all know that LDR's have their downsides. But what about the good sides that make you all fuzzy and warm? (Other than love itself, obviously! )

I will start and say that the best thing is that being in a long distance relationship helps you develop as an individual, become a much more mature person compared to your peers. Not to mention the fact that couples in LDR's appreciate their relationship much, much, much more than others, and truly value love.

Let's look at the bright side on this thread. What do you enjoy, like or appreciate about your LDR?

The level of communication that you develop (as all you can do is talk/write!), as well as the openness and honesty that we share. The distance stinks, but I am so grateful to get to know him so well, and have such great communication, honesty, and openness, as I know these things will be so very helpful in our future CD! This wouldn't have been my first choice for a type of relationship, but I am actually so glad things have worked out to be LD as we are working harder to have a better future together, as well as learning the importance of each other rather than taking each other for granted.

(NOT implying that CD couples take each other for granted!!! Just saying LD couples know and appreciate the value of time actually spent together, and we know how precious it is!)

Comment

For me, it's that feeling you get after not seeing your SO for so long and no one who's CD really understands all the feelings that you experience when you/your SO walk through arrivals!
      No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

Absolutely, dglynn77! I can't wait to close the distance either, which is only natural, but it's absolutely amazing how such levels of communications can be reached with the right person. I am so glad to hear that you also cherish the true values of relationships.

Aw, that's sweet. Sadly, I couldn't experience that feeling myself yet, but no doubt that would take me over the clouds as well!
        Last edited by Kaisukaru; July 18, 2012, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I get to travel to Peru every time I want to visit my SO...
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

i also like to visit from one place to another with my SO..that time is so enjoyable for me.
            NoThInG iS ImPoSsiBlE..

Comment

I'm one of those weirdos that sees fundamental similarities between LD and CD (though I do believe LD speeds up certain processes, such as bringing up any issues with communication faster and having to correct them faster due to the nature of the relationship. CD is like walking a marathon, and LD is like running it and sprinting the last mile ), BUT the one thing that I have to say I would consider a bright side of a LDR is the fact that there's someone out there that believes I'm worth over 5000 miles, and someone who's worth over 5000 miles to me, someone who believes I'm worth waiting for for at least another few years, and someone I see with the same adoration and value. I suppose the bright side is simply feeling wonderful that you're worth it to someone in the same way that they are to you, and while this is entirely possible CD and while this sense of fluffy can backfire if you romanticise it/get stuck in it... I dunno. I guess I wouldn't typically think I'm worth plane fare and holiday money and jet lag.
              { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
              Met online: February 2009
              Feelings confessed: December 2010
              Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
              Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
              First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
              Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
              Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
              Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
              to be continued...

Comment

For me, it's the strong feeling of trust that continually grows between us. Also, the wonderful feeling of seeing him again after a few months compares to nothing else, and it is the greatest happiness I've ever felt.

Comment

Originally posted by dglynn77 View Post
                  The level of communication that you develop (as all you can do is talk/write!), as well as the openness and honesty that we share. The distance stinks, but I am so grateful to get to know him so well, and have such great communication, honesty, and openness, as I know these things will be so very helpful in our future CD! This wouldn't have been my first choice for a type of relationship, but I am actually so glad things have worked out to be LD as we are working harder to have a better future together, as well as learning the importance of each other rather than taking each other for granted.

(NOT implying that CD couples take each other for granted!!! Just saying LD couples know and appreciate the value of time actually spent together, and we know how precious it is!)
                  This! I love how well I've gotten to know my SO, and how I can tell him anything. He is literally my best friend, and I am his just because we know each other so well

sigpic

Comment

My boyfriend and I are so close and open with each other. I think being LD and only able to just talk with each other has definitely helped with that.

Comment

I love that I get to travel so much. I have seen so many great places in the US I would probably never have without the ldr. That's definitely the most awesome part.

Also that I think it brought up issues we have a lot faster and clearer, especially in my case and I finally get to work on something I wasn't even aware of before. So what I'm trying to say is that it gives me the chance to grow as a person, which is great.

Third, I think we would have never learned so much about communication and I'm glad that we do because it would have ultimately become an issue and I strongly believe that because of that we can be a lot better cd than we would have been without being ld.

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                        I'm one of those weirdos that sees fundamental similarities between LD and CD (though I do believe LD speeds up certain processes, such as bringing up any issues with communication faster and having to correct them faster due to the nature of the relationship. CD is like walking a marathon, and LD is like running it and sprinting the last mile ), BUT the one thing that I have to say I would consider a bright side of a LDR is the fact that there's someone out there that believes I'm worth over 5000 miles, and someone who's worth over 5000 miles to me, someone who believes I'm worth waiting for for at least another few years, and someone I see with the same adoration and value. I suppose the bright side is simply feeling wonderful that you're worth it to someone in the same way that they are to you, and while this is entirely possible CD and while this sense of fluffy can backfire if you romanticise it/get stuck in it... I dunno. I guess I wouldn't typically think I'm worth plane fare and holiday money and jet lag.
                        Honestly speaking, I never took that perspective about LD and CD relationships before... but when I come to think about it, it is not weird at all. As a matter of fact, it sounds like the kind of thought that might change the common misconceptions (and bias) certain CD people hold . Also, I really like the analogy, especially given the actual distance. From now on I subscribe to this idea for sure! As for the feeling of worthiness, I agree that it is neither easy nor common to give it to someone, although in my humble opinion, this feeling – among others such as trust, loyalty and honesty – should lie at the core of all relationships. LD only provides the right conditions.

Comment

I would say the thing I like the most about being in an LDR is the communication and the level of trust it builds. I feel like I know almost everything about my SO because we talk so much. When me and my SO met in person for the first time I felt like I had never felt before. I was truly happy and after we got over being nervous we picked up where we left off. Another thing, like Eclaire said, is that it feels so good to know that there is someone out the who believes you are worth the wait and you don't take a single moment you have together for granted. (:

"I love you and I've loved you all along and I miss you. Been far away for far too long."<3

Comment

Working...
                          X