No support from family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens No support from family

Hi guys, my name is Natalie i just made an account today but i'd really appreciate if i got some help from you guys

Basically, I've been in an LDR for 10 months now with my boyfriend who lives in Texas and I live in Connecticut. We havent officially met before and we made the decision that its time lol. But its just been really hard because my family arent that supporting. They would be like "no you cant go see him, we've never even met him, and i dont think you should be going through this." and i'm planning on going out there to see him, but they said no because they've never met him. and i asked if he could come to my state and stay at our house and they said no again. So now im fresh out of ideas. And its just really frustrating because they arent really being supportive and are putting negative thoughts in my head and making think that its not gonna work out and that i just give up. and i know if i do, i'll regret it for the rest of my life because i love him.

so does anyone have any kind of advice on how to deal with this because its really hard and i wanna stop these thoughts from coming into my head because im in love with him and i want to do whatever it takes to make it work, but with no support and my parents constantly saying no to everything, it makes it really hard. so any help or ideas? i'd really appreciate it <3

Hey! I don't know your age and I assume it's quite important to the subject...
    It's understandable they think like that if that is the first time you'll see him. I don't know how it works in the USA, but don't you have hostels and cheap "bed and breakfast" places? I would recommend that if you and your SO could split the costs, even though he would be the one sleeping there since he cannot sleep at your place... Then, I would arrange a meeting with him and your family and you could talk to him before about them so that he has an idea of what can he say to them and stuff.

Try skype-meetings all together! Like plan ahead a meeting where all would be available to talk. Even doing this it can be hard letting him sleep there for the first time, but it is a start!

Good luck!

Comment

Hi jess!
      Im 17 btw. and yes, he was going to get a hotel, but it is too expensive so thats out. and i asked my parents to let him stay here and they said no. and i tried to go to there, and they said no again. So now my hands are tied. BUT my last hope is seeing if he can stay at my grandma' house. The good news is that she said yes, but she has to asked my grandpa and from the sounds of it, he doesnt sound very open to the idea. So i'm just stressing out because this is kind of my last hope and after that, im literally out of ideas. and its scares the hell out of me

Comment

Originally posted by nataliem0422 View Post
        Hi jess!
        Im 17 btw. and yes, he was going to get a hotel, but it is too expensive so thats out. and i asked my parents to let him stay here and they said no. and i tried to go to there, and they said no again. So now my hands are tied. BUT my last hope is seeing if he can stay at my grandma' house. The good news is that she said yes, but she has to asked my grandpa and from the sounds of it, he doesnt sound very open to the idea. So i'm just stressing out because this is kind of my last hope and after that, im literally out of ideas. and its scares the hell out of me

Are you still in high school? could some friends of yours host him? ahh that must be so hard, but it also takes time.... This met LD relationships are harder to accept, specially when our parent's generation did not grow with internet...

Comment

Hey i'm in CT too! Hello!

I know it must be hard not having your parent's support -hug-! I'd go with Jess's ideas and either have them meet over skype a few times until they get comfortable with him enough to let him stay with you or ask your friends if he can stay there.
          Made it official: 12-01-10
          First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
          Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by Jess! View Post
            Are you still in high school? could some friends of yours host him? ahh that must be so hard, but it also takes time.... This met LD relationships are harder to accept, specially when our parent's generation did not grow with internet...
            Yes, im going into my senior year & i dont know if my friends would be up to that :/ friends arent entirely supportive either. and yeah it is, but once i turn 18, i'm going to start going there to see him my parents might not like it, but its what i want to do ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
              Hey i'm in CT too! Hello!

I know it must be hard not having your parent's support -hug-! I'd go with Jess's ideas and either have them meet over skype a few times until they get comfortable with him enough to let him stay with you or ask your friends if he can stay there.
              Oh hey, thats awesome and yeah, its frustrating, but we're trying to make the best of it. and idk, it just weird getting my parents involved. They just dont seem like they want to bother so i try to leave them out of it as much as possible. He said if he couldnt stay with me, he could afford to come out here for a day because he couldnt get a hotel for more than that because it would be too expense. It would suck for him to only be here for a day, but if thats what needs to happen, i guess i could cope :/ but im really trying to push for more than that

Comment

Working...
              X