LDR, then lived together for 7 months, then apart again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR, then lived together for 7 months, then apart again

Very very long story. But. My SO and I have been together nearly 4 years, we're both 21yo women. We have lived in different cities for 2 years, but saw each other every few weeks.

In January, we both started a study abroad program in Europe and lived together (for the first time) for 5 months, which was fun, not too intense and nothing unexpected, but also confirmed that this relationship just isn't feeling right, we bickered a lot and I constantly thought about breaking up with her.

We then traveled together for 2 months which was really fun (of course, we're on holiday in Europe), she's a great travel buddy and only had the occasional stressy travel argument.

We got back to our home city, then she flew up to her university city two days later. We never properly talked about being apart, what it would be like, or how our relationship would go (in fact we never really have).

Since arriving back, she's barely spoken to me. She is really flat and sad - being back home after fun in Europe is depressing, but also her job and an internship have both fallen through last minute and things just aren't going as she'd hoped.

She says that she misses me so much that she doesn't want to talk to me because it reminds her that I'm not there, she's finding it hard to cope, and she's having a really rough time. She's the type of person who pushes people away when she's upset (ie when she's upset about something little, she'll tell me to give her some space rather than a cuddle/talk about it). But she's never acted like this before, ever. I assumed we'd go back into old routines of talking all the time, texting and calling a few times a day. But it's been 10 days and she's continuing to tell me she needs space and doesn't know how she feels or what she wants.

I feel terrible that I can't be there to support her, as it's an especially tough time even without the suddenness of being apart. But I also feel really frustrated and in shock that she can so easily push me away, and it's leaving me feeling like I'm just waiting around for her to call; or if I do text her, she probably won't reply. I hate feeling so passive (as I'm usually the more passive one in this relationship, and over the past year I've realised how unhealthy that is and how sick of it I am).

She has called me once a day over the past few days, wanting to just talk about our days and act normal. I want this too, but I don't want it to be acting - I just want to be able to have a regular conversation with her, without a) her getting emotional and upset because I'm not there, or b) me blurting out all this frustration and trying to tell her to get her sh*t together and stop treating me like this.

Interestingly, and somewhat unexpectedly, I'm feeling really strong amongst all this - I don't miss her much at all, I'm enjoying the lack of contact, my anxiety levels are low. But I am still on edge because I feel very vulnerable in this situation.

I also keep having thoughts about breaking up, but find this impossible to do to her when she's in such a low place and other important things in her life are a bit of a mess. I would feel terrible, like I was abandoning her at her lowest moment (and trust me, this is her lowest point - she's never been like this before).

I just want to know whether people think her behaviour is acceptable, and ultimately whether breaking up with someone in this situation is possible/ethical. This is my first relationship, I am a very non-confrontational person and I have no idea where to go from here - all I know is that I'm increasingly angry with this situation, and even if she decides let's be normal, I'll still be hurting from this.

Thanks all - feeling pretty alone right now (...cos I can't talk to her about it, cos we're not talking!!!) so any help or support is really appreciated

When both parties are hurting it is not always easy to share the pain. What feels natural to one an feel either too forced or too dramatic for the other etc. We have all been there I guess. But you asking in this fashion is making me think you are hinting that she is suicidal. Does she have thoughts about ending her life?

Breaking up with someone can seem cruel but remember that having the feeling that someone MAYBE wants to break up with you is not very pleasant eithe,r and at least with a break up the person gets a chance to heal and moved on. And if she struggles with life in general she needs to know who is with her or not. You portray her as somwhat of a drama queen or/and mentally unstable and perhaps she is, but you also say that for the last year of your relationship you have contemplated ending the relationship, so perhaps she is responding to that emotional message of you not feeling the relationship working out but not breaking up with her either.

My ex was non confrontational too, and while it absolutely broke my heart that she broke up with me when she fell out of love, a lot of the anxiety I felt at that time stemmed from the fact that she was angry and displeased and still claimed that we were in fact together until I forced her to end things. Having to sort of break up with yourself is not an experience I reccomend to anyone, it feels very shattering to feel you don't even deserve to know the truth. While you may feel happy enough just distancing yourself and slowly letting the relationship fizzle out, because you know where you stand, the other person does not know this. For her to slowly discover that you have mentally left the relationship is a indirect and cruel way of forcing HER to end things.
    Last edited by differentcountries; July 29, 2015, 09:29 AM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
      My ex was non confrontational too, and while it absolutely broke my heart that she broke up with me when she fell out of love, a lot of the anxiety I felt at that time stemmed from the fact that she was angry and displeased and still claimed that we were in fact together until I forced her to end things. Having to sort of break up with yourself is not an experience I reccomend to anyone, it feels very shattering to feel you don't even deserve to know the truth. While you may feel happy enough just distancing yourself and slowly letting the relationship fizzle out, because you know where you stand, the other person does not know this. For her to slowly discover that you have mentally left the relationship is a indirect and cruel way of forcing HER to end things.
      This is so true. It is pretty easy to pick up on when your SO isn't feeling it. This is especially true if it's been for a while now and it was a rough time in Europe living together. Although it isn't great to break up with someone when they're having a low point (this advice may change depending upon how emotionally unstable she is), if it's a normal "nothing is going right and I'm frustrated with life, but overall I'm okay and mentally stable", then you kind of owe it to her to tell her how you're feeling. Even if I'm having a rough couple of months, I'd rather someone tell me and let me start to move on than pretend that everything is good until things start to look up only to make me feel shitty again.

Comment

From the way you wrote your post, it seems like you don't really want to be with her, do you?
        You said in the very beginning that living together made it apparent that this relationship wasn't working, have you talked about this feeling at all? Was it mutual or was it just your side of the story? Because fights happen, especially when you live together for the first time, but that doesn't mean your relationship is bad or doesn't have a future, it simply means you are figuring things out on the go and the fact that you talk about what is bothering you is a good sign, it means you both care enough about each other to respond to a complaint (and you feel comfortable enough with each other to argue your point!)

But at the same time, you're not missing her, you didn't enjoy the time you spent living together (which ultimately would be the end goal, right?) and you've been thinking about breaking up, so maybe breaking up might be the best for you two. You don't seem to want to be in this relationship anymore and she needs more support than you are willing to give. Is it ethical? There is never a good time to break up with someone, but if you build her back up and she feels better and THEN you drop the bomb on her, after putting in so much effort to make her feel better, it'd only crush her more.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
        X