No announcement yet.

International weddings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin and I joke about this all the time. He and I are different religions, and our families are states away. I have family countries away even. Several of my Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins are still it Italy. I have family in Canada (more aunts, uncles and cousins.) I also have family in NY (LOTS) my family is much bigger than his is. I have 18 Aunts and Uncles alone =X We always joke that we'll just get married at a court house and not tell anyone, what you don't know can't hurt you and all that! I would like to get married on a cruise ship just because It would be easier to say EvERYONE that wants to attend has to travel rather than just his family, or just mine. I suppose we will see!

Comment

we´re getting married in England this year and next year in Colombia, after thinking about it a lot, we decided it was easier for everyone, I have a big family in Colombia and he has a big family in England so it will be extremely expensive to take everyone to England/ Colombia and the eldest are not keen on travelling 15 hours.
      Also his family want a hindu dress and ceremony and me and my family want a more traditional white dress and Cristian ceremony. So we´re having both and everyone happy.

Comment

Resurrection! Wow!

So my SO and I will be married in the USA. It is going to be really small. Unfortunately, none of his family can make it so we will also be having a party in CR for his family. We'll also video tape the small ceremony from the USA because his mom requested it. Then once we're back in the USA we'll have another party! Because we love parties!

Comment

We've talked about it but remain undecided. I'd kind of prefer to be married in France though, and I think he would too. Oh well, we'll have to wait and see

Comment

I've been thinking about this a lot myself, but my SO and I haven't really talked about it yet I have no idea what we're going to do once we get to the point of marriage, but after reading through this thread I'm kind of growing on the idea of having 2 weddings, if the economy allows it of course. We both have big families and it would cost so much to fly them in/pay for stay for all of them (2000 dollars + for each person) if we only have it in one country, and I don't really want to hurt either his family or mine by excluding them from such a big part of our life. I'll let you guys know whenever I know how it turns out!

Whereas where to live, we haven't really talked about that either, but right now we're leaning mostly to me moving over to Argentina for a year or so when I've graduated in a couple of months! I'm so bored of Sweden anyway and I love other cultures, plus the place where he lives is just a-mazing, right by the Andes So, that's how the plan is looking right now, and we'll see what happens later on!

Met online: February 2011
            Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

we've talked about it a little bit, and like a lot of people here, we've thought about having two weddings. I'd love to get married in Australia, but I know my family wouldn't be able to afford to come (not more than a few of them, anyway). I think what might work best is the parents could attend both weddings or something... heck, I don't know if our parents will even meet until and unless we get married! that's a strange thought. but I'd like having a ceremony in Australia and in the States, probably in Boston. that seems most fair, and it would just be an insane amount of money to get both families together in one place if we wanted to go somewhere in the middle.

as for where we'll live, the plan now is for him to move to the States with me to live and work for a few years until we're both settled in decent careers, but once we're ready to have kids, we know we want to raise them in Australia. time frames for all of this is very much up in the air though. :P

Comment

I was married before so I would be content with a destination wedding or even Vegas. It would be his first so I would do as he wished. If he wanted to be married in Holland that would be fine with me. I know we would have to live in Holland. He has several more years of school and is contracted with his employer there. I love Holland too so I would make the adjustment.
                "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Like Hollandia, it's not my first wedding but it will be his first. I'm not too particular on where we get married. Heck, I don't even want half of my family to attend (shh...) We've talked about a few different possibilities, but I think we will end up getting married here in the States, as we plan to live here (pending visa approval *fingers crossed*). It's kind of a sucky situation. There will be people left out either way. I would've preferred to get married in New Zealand with his family present, I think, but as long as we're together, I'm happy.

Comment

I think my family will disown me if I don't get married in Ireland!!! In fact, several of them have said so, haha. My mum's family are all of Irish ancestry and most of them have never been over, but have always wanted to. Every time I see them now they ask, 'So when's the wedding in Ireland??' I think it would make the most sense for us to get married there too, since my family all wants to come over for that (and I think most could afford to, provided we give loads of notice), and since his family is split between Ireland and France.

Thinking about all of this makes me realise how crazy different my life is than what I'd always imagined. I always hoped I'd meet someone lovely and be happy, but if you told 16 year old me that I would move to Ireland, meet a lovely Irish man and be contemplating living long term in the UK, I would think you were nuts

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Working...
                    X