Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning a private ceremony - is it polite to send announcements to fam and friends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning a private ceremony - is it polite to send announcements to fam and friends?

So my fiance and I are planning to marry in a private, simple ceremony shortly after he arrives in the US. I've never wanted a big, fancy wedding, and neither has he. We are going to include my parents, sisters, and a few very close friends, so a total of maybe 7 or 8 people. My family knows through facebook and general talk at family gatherings that we're engaged and they've watched on the sidelines through photos on facebook us spending time together in Russia. I've gotten some comments like, "can't wait for the wedding," etc. from people who aren't going to be at the private ceremony.

I'm a HUGE introvert and so is my fiance. I do care about my extended family, but there are a LOT of them. I'm so shy at family gatherings I rarely speak out, and mostly just talk to a few aunts, uncles, and cousins who I have a closer relationship with when I do have some conversations. On top of adjusting and assimilating to a new culture, my fiance is also very shy. I don't exactly care to put him in a position of being thrusted into this huge, social situation. I think for our personalities, budget, and social needs, having the simple, civil ceremony with a small amount of close people is what we're comfortable with.

My parents and I were visiting recently and they asked me if he and I had discussed what we want for our wedding, and they confided that they originally wanted to go to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee and elope, then have their honeymoon down there, but one of my aunts found out about their plans and leaked it, and my grandma found out and insisted they get married with the whole family. Thing is, the size of my maternal AND paternal family has increased exponentially since 23 years ago when my mom and stepdad got married. They still got their honeymoon in the mountains. The point of me sharing this is that my mom made the point that it's so hard to plan a mid-size wedding with just the family members you're closest with, because the ones who aren't invited will find a reason to be offended. It's either a big wedding or a private wedding with the two sides of my family, it seems. Since I never wanted a big wedding because I hate stress and I don't even like to wear dresses and stuff (kinda "tomboyish" you could say), me and my fiance are opting for the private ceremony.

My parents did mention the possibility of having something like a big picnic (like renting a shelterhouse in the park and doing some grilled food, kind of a reception type thing) in the early Summer and inviting all the family, but I'm not even sure I want that. It's again one of those things where if you don't invite everyone, someone is going to be all offended. Also, I don't feel like I need it. A lot of my extended family doesn't even keep in touch with me on a regular basis, anyway. Some of them don't even talk to me or ask me how I'm doing at the big, family gatherings. So why should I feed and entertain those people? My fiance tells me that if I want something like this, he supports it, but if I don't want it, he supports it too.

So I don't want to have a reception. I just don't want to bother with it. I kind of feel like it would be nice just to do a "tour of visits" to visit the family members I'm close with so they can meet and visit with my fiance and I. But I really don't want the stress of planning a big thing with all of the extended family members, when only a small fraction of them actually make any effort to keep in touch with me anyway. So I just want our little, private ceremony, and then I was thinking of doing something like sending out some pretty cards to family and friends announcing our marriage. Something like, "This is to announce that (Name) and (Name) will be married in a private ceremony on (date), and we wanted to share the good news with our family and friends! If you would like to plan a visit with us in the near future, please get in touch with us at (contact info).

Do you guys think little announcement cards like this would be a nice idea? I think it's a nice way of handling letting the family know what's going on, and extend an "invitation" of sorts to visit with us at a time that is convenient for everyone.

Yes, I think invitations are always a nice consideration.

Comment

I think that is a great idea! (Sending out announcements). It lets you know that you are thinking about them, as well as saying that you are getting married in private so they know that you didn't have a huge wedding and just not invite them you know?

I don't like big weddings either, I would feel like I am producing a show rather than getting married you know?
      Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

Originally posted by meganpillow View Post
        I think that is a great idea! (Sending out announcements). It lets you know that you are thinking about them, as well as saying that you are getting married in private so they know that you didn't have a huge wedding and just not invite them you know?

I don't like big weddings either, I would feel like I am producing a show rather than getting married you know?
        Yeah, I thought it would be a nice way to let people know we're thinking of them and would like to at least let them know about it. Some people in my family really look down on "eloping" although that's not exactly what we're doing since we'll have some witnesses to the ceremony. I thought some pretty announcement cards, printed on some nice paper with cute font and a photo of us would be a way to reach out to the family and avoid anyone being offended. To some people, a big wedding is what they want, but for us it just doesn't fit our personality. We also decided against creating registries for gifts because we feel it would be tacky to ask for presents when we're not having a celebration for the whole family.

Comment

Yea i think its a good way of letting people know that u did remember them and feel like they are important but it is also a way to have the ceremony that u two want.
          sigpic
          Not to get clever
          but with you I see forever
          But whatever it is,
          Here's to you,
          I Love You Kid...

Comment

I am probably going to be in the minority here but I can certainly relate to what you're saying. I really hate being the center of attention so I want a very small, private wedding. And as much as a wedding is about the couple, it's about the joining of families.

I think that if your family is really excited and wants to celebrate with you, you should have something super casual and let them. A wedding is a celebration.

I know when I told my mom I would consider eloping she cried. SHE CRIED. At that moment I realized that a wedding isn't all about the couple, it's about the family. It's about becoming your own family and essentially living your own life and your family wants to show you their support. I honestly feel by having no celebration or anything for them, when it's obvious it's important to them, is like a spit in the face.

Have a celebration, keep it super casual so you don't get stressed out, I love the picnic idea, that's what I want my wedding to be like. You don't have to get married in front of everyone but I really think not allowing your family to celebrate a wedding as a group...well is selfish. And yeah, asking for gifts when you don't have a celebration where everyone is invited is extremely rude and presumptuous.

(And I know people will say this is your time to be selfish and they aren't wrong) At the end of the day follow your hearts, but don't forget the hearts of the people in your family. For many people (especially the brides family) they may view a wedding as sending the bride on her way to her new life. I think it's important to allow them a moment to do that. It doesn't have to be right away, you can introduce him to your family slowly and have a celebration a few months after you guys actually marry.

I don't know, to me, eloping and excluding people who care is well ... mean. Getting married is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra View Post

I don't know, to me, eloping and excluding people who care is well ... mean. Getting married is a big deal.
              We aren't technically eloping, since my mom, stepdad, dad, and my two sisters, as well as a few of my besties will be present. My desire to include EVERYONE I KNOW in celebrating is there, believe me, but it's not realistic for our budget as well as my desire to keep my life drama-free. I feel like my desire to send out announcements with an "invitation" to visit with us at a time that works for the people receiving the announcements is a good compromise. Why DOES it have to happen as a big, group celebration anyway? Not everyone on all sides of my huge (and made huger by divorce) family gets along with each other very well. Some people from my mom's side won't even come because they'll know people from my dad's side will be there (that's how petty it is, even 27 years after my mom and biological dad split up!). I didn't include that little detail in my last post cause it's kinda personal.

I've been not-invited to plenty of weddings in my family, and I wasn't offended because I know the guest-list of a wedding is not an easy decision to make. My cousin and his wife also just recently were married with just a few family members in attendance to keep things simple, and they didn't even send out any announcements to anyone, nor did they have a reception! I think my family can handle it! I figure by having a private ceremony and offering ourselves for visits at the convenience of our family members, we are being more fair but still sharing the joy with people.

To reinforce from my first post, my mom and stepdad almost eloped. During our conversation about weddings recently, they even said that if they had ended up eloping, they wouldn't regret it. They had a nice wedding at my grandma and grandpa's house because my aunt leaked to my grandma that they wanted to elope, and my grandma didn't take well to it. My own parents, however, would respect if we wanted to elope. We did want my parents and sisters, at least, to be present, however.

Comment

I'd probably send the announcements after you're married. Easier to ask for forgiveness than premission and all that
                But seriously, I think it would be less drama, and you could print out a nice photo from the wedding day to incluse in the announcement.

If you change your mind for some kind of reception, doing a big pot luck in a park wouldn't be terribly stressful and it'd be almost free. Just sayin'

Good luck having the wedding you actually want Kudos to you both!
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I think announcements would be a great way to include people without having to have a wedding you don't want.

Honestly, it's not your family's day. It's your wedding day. You are the one who has to look back on it. It's a lifechanging day. Don't sacrifice your own dreams (within reason of course) for your extended family's.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                  Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                  Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                  Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                  Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post

Honestly, it's not your family's day. It's your wedding day.
                    THANK YOU! This is the conclusion I've come to myself anyway.

Weddings were about families long, long ago in times when women were chattel property, essentially, and often the bride was "shipped off" with her new husband to somewhere far away, likely never to see her own relatives again. Times when marriages were unions of two families (and their fortunes) rather than the union of a couple in love, because marriage simply for love is a relatively new concept in human society.

All of my family is pretty localized, so visits are possible any time it works for us and said family members to schedule a visit. There is no "sending off" to be done. Weddings are no longer *for* the family, in my opinion. Honestly, it really depends on the individuals involved.

I posted on another forum I'm a member of, a rather fun and snark-tastic forum where I can let my inner smartass fly free without any censorship (I need an outlet at times), and I ranted a bit about the basic mentality that a wedding is a show for others and you should do it with all your family involved. Another poster there pointed out that weddings are as unique as each couple, which is true. The way my fiance and I choose to do ours is our business.

The family members who know and love me will understand, that much I know. The ones who choose to hold a grudge are being petty, especially if one considers that we'll still be offering to have a post-wedding visit with everyone I'm sending notices out to. If they don't accept my offer to have a nice, intimate visit with my fiance and I when it's convenient for them (where we will likely be crafting a home-cooked meal if they're our guests, and if we're their guests we'd still like to bring something homemade to share - we LOVE to feed people we love, and are both pretty adept at it for mere culinary hobbyists), who is REALLY being "mean and selfish?" And I must ask, if someone in my family chooses to be petty and hold a grudge against me for a very personal choice and refuses a nice visit, indeed, whom is really giving a "spit in the face" to who, then? (sorry for the run-on question...couldn't think of a better way to formulate it)

Comment

Sierra, allow me to extend any apologies if anything I said came off as gruff. I generally respect you as a fellow poster and think you're a nice person. I think I allowed the "spit in the face" and "mean and selfish" stuff to be taken too personally on my account. I hope you weren't actually intending to call me those things, because it would seem awfully harsh as you don't know me and my family dynamics. That being said, I acknowledge that I was perhaps a bit rough in my responses. I also acknowledge that in my very first post, I wasn't as detailed as I should have been.

I do stand by me and my fiance's wedding decisions with confidence and do so free of guilt, as we have our own unique circumstances to deal with, and it also fits these circumstances to go through with the plans we already have. I thought cards would be a nice way to reach out to people, and after doing a lot of "etiquette-related" research on the 'net, I've found that it's actually quite common for people who have similar ceremonies (simple and small with just a few guests in attendance) to do the same.

I've played with the wording to make it warm and inviting in nature. I am hoping the offer for personal visits with us at a time that works for them will "soften the blow" for the few relatives of mine who may be butthurt about us not having a big event for everyone (a VAST minority of the family compared to the rest of the relatives I'm in touch with). The ones hinting on FB about how they can't wait for the wedding are probably just assuming we'll have a big wedding because "everyone wants that." *shrug* While I hope not to offend any of my family, my plan is going to be to try and handle this in the warmest and most polite way possible but still stick with the plans we feel comfortable with, because we're ultimately marrying each other, not the whole of my extended family.

Comment

I wouldn't include the date if you are noting inviting them and send it AFTER the ceremony. I'd also state that it's an open house or a tour of visits on your card so people know why your sending them card card. All in all it's a very cute idea...

Comment

I'm very much on the fence regarding this issue. I can appreciate both sides of the argument, but...

For example, I know my SO would like a large gathering with all our family and friends in attendance, whereas in some ways I can't think of anything worse. I'm not sure why; perhaps it's the prospect of being the centre of attention on such a momentous occasion, or the fact that I don't have the most straightforward of relationships with my family, and as things stand I know I'd feel awfully uncomfortable with them watching me get wed I guess at this point in time I'd be inclined to make a compromise: a private ceremony followed by an all-inclusive reception. While I'd rather not be in the spotlight when the priest says "I now pronounce you husband and wife", I wouldn't like to cut everyone out of the picture for the entire event. That said, I may change my mind completely by the time I'm actually engaged, so I can't say anything for certain!

Comment

Well, a little update. Some of my former step-relatives (family of my the ex-second-wife of my biological dad) who live in another part of my state, who I love and don't get to see often have invited us to their big, Memorial Day gathering and want to combine it with a little post-wedding celebration for us. We think it's a really kind gesture for them to offer to do this for us, and I was really touched by their offering to do this! As far as a celebration for the whole of my biological extended family, we're still not planning anything as of yet but we might change our minds later. Who knows? But for now, I still feel the sending of notices to let people know we're thinking of them will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by SquishyLove View Post
                              Well, a little update. Some of my former step-relatives (family of my the ex-second-wife of my biological dad) who live in another part of my state, who I love and don't get to see often have invited us to their big, Memorial Day gathering and want to combine it with a little post-wedding celebration for us. We think it's a really kind gesture for them to offer to do this for us, and I was really touched by their offering to do this! As far as a celebration for the whole of my biological extended family, we're still not planning anything as of yet but we might change our minds later. Who knows? But for now, I still feel the sending of notices to let people know we're thinking of them will be good.

I think it's a great idea and I think that your doing it with the best of intentions! I just warn you that people get crazy about weddings and have really weird reactions to things so be prepared for some crazy people to come out of the wood work!

Comment

Working...
                              X