Cubic Zirconia Rings - Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cubic Zirconia Rings - Yay or Nay?

My mother and I were discussing fancy jewelry and this discussion came up.

With the ethical issues surrounding diamonds and the cost of expensive stones, some couples that I know are now opting for engagement or promise rings made out of cubic zirconia or other "imitation" stones rather than diamonds.

Would you consider getting a Cubic Zirconia (CZ) engagement or promise ring?

If you did get a CZ ring, would you replace the CZ with a diamond in the future?

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
    Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
    Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
    Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
    Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

If my SO were to get me a ring with a CZ stone, I would be okay with it as long as he tells me. I'd probably ask him if we could upgrade/replace it with a diamond for like, our 5 year anniversary or something. (because I do want a diamond.) I'm not against CZ, though, and I have some CZ jewelry and it's really pretty.

Even though I'm probably going to end up having a more "modern" than "traditional" wedding, something about diamonds just says "engagement ring" to me. (Plus I don't want anything super fancy as far as the band goes, so I'd like a diamond. Doesn't even have to be that big, I'd be ok with 1/2 carat.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I want real diamonds but if CZ is all he can afford I'll take it. I would hope that we would replace CZ with real diamonds though in the future.

Comment

I wouldn't mind at all; personally, the engagement ring isn't a huge deal to me. I'd be more choosy about my actual wedding ring, so I'd be fine with a CZ stone during our engagement

Comment

CZ wouldnt bother me. I think its pretty and sometimes even mistaken for diamonds so Plus, its cheaper than diamonds so why not! Im not fussy really

Although, i do love my diamonds! lol

Comment

I don't want a very expensive engagement ring. I'd be too worried about losing it, to comfortably wear it. Plus I prefer coloured stones (green or pink!) over white ones, so I don't want a diamond ring to begin with... or a CZ one.

The difference between an engagement and a promise ring is the purpose and intention, not the material.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I would actually prefer a CZ to a diamond, unless it was a non-conflict stone. Usually brown and yellow diamonds are cheaper and non-conflict since people don't want them, and I actually think they're prettier.

So yeah, 100 times over I would prefer anything to a diamond (or any other blood stones, I hear emeralds are getting dirty now. Which makes me sad since that's my birthstone). Hell, no stone would be fine with me!

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                I would actually prefer a CZ to a diamond, unless it was a non-conflict stone. Usually brown and yellow diamonds are cheaper and non-conflict since people don't want them, and I actually think they're prettier.

So yeah, 100 times over I would prefer anything to a diamond (or any other blood stones, I hear emeralds are getting dirty now. Which makes me sad since that's my birthstone). Hell, no stone would be fine with me!
                So... I am probably being super dense/ignorant, but what exactly does it mean when a stone is "non-conflict"? I keep hearing about non-conflict diamonds, but I still don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                  So... I am probably being super dense/ignorant, but what exactly does it mean when a stone is "non-conflict"? I keep hearing about non-conflict diamonds, but I still don't get it.
                  It's almost like the term "fair trade". It means that the stones come from areas that are not war torn. The stones are mined by miners who are paid fare wages. Hands are not cut off when they don't find enough rocks. Kids aren't doing it. Things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    It's almost like the term "fair trade". It means that the stones come from areas that are not war torn. The stones are mined by miners who are paid fare wages. Hands are not cut off when they don't find enough rocks. Kids aren't doing it. Things like that.
                    Ooooh, okay. That makes sense, thanks lucybelle!

Comment

I don't want a diamond ring in the first place, so no for me. My chosen stone is amethyst, which isn't too expensive, fortunately.

Comment

For me, the ring is a symbol and I don't want him to buy something expensive. I showed him a $10 cocktail ring that was beautiful and said if he asked me to marry him with that, I'd be beyond thrilled. So if he got me a CZ ring, I'd have no issues. I've also liked other gemstone rings. I'm not picky - except I don't want some huge ostentatious ring

Comment

I wouldn't get my SO a CZ ring. It's just personally I feel it's an imitation and not fit for such a serious piece of jewelry. It doesn't have to be a huge expensive stone but it has to be a diamond.

With that said, If it's all you can afford then it will do. It's really the meaning behind the ring, not the ring itself.
                          I triumphed in the face of adversity
                          and I became the man I never thought I'd be
                          and now my biggest challenge, a thing called love
                          I guess I'm not as tough as I thought I was

Comment

Honestly I wouldn't care either way, it's often mistaken for diamonds and are wayyyy cheaper too, as long as my SO really took his time and picked out a ring after giving honest thought to if I would like it or not would be the perfect ring for me. I could care less what the stone was as long as the sentiment of my SO's love is there.

Notes:
                            Met: 8.17.09
                            Started Dating: 8.20.09
                            First Met: 10.2.10
                            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I have told my SO that I want a CZ engagement ring... I want us to close the distance and get engaged.... a diamond ring prevents that ....

Comment

Working...
                              X